User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 162425262728 Last

Thread: Atheists:

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    God are the items with which we are built, not what actually builds us..
    I think both. God enters no unequal relationships. Don't tell the ego though.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That's a wise interpretation but why would one need a God or a church to draw that wisdom ?
    Well by my own definition of God you need God, but not a church.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think both. God enters no unequal relationships. Don't tell the ego though.
    I wouldn't even try to begin proving that incorrect. I think it is very likely the qualities of the substance that could build and be what is being built. With this I amend my first statement. I still think it requires both sciences to figure out how this works exactly.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Well by my own definition of God you need God, but not a church.
    I respect that, as long as you give yourself credit and are proud for the things you achieve and not God, I think its ok. I need by my own definition my coffee machine, without it I am only half-human half-troll
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

God are the items with which we are built, not what actually builds us.
    Then, yes, such a concept of god would comfort me; in fact, I already believe in such a god, I just call him 'matter and engery'.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then, yes, such a concept of god would comfort me; in fact, I already believe in such a god, I just call him 'matter and engery'.
    I really don't see why this idea can't be more widely accepted. Maybe it does goes back to the Ego that @Ginkgo mentioned.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I understand that you're not trying to advocate immoral behavior for the sake of "do what feels good". Regardless of whether or not there’s a God, we're accountable to ourselves. Drugs, sex: there are physical consequences in the 'here and now' for our sins (i.e., health problems). Your example seemed like a bogus example that didn't fit into the context of your own life (since I knew you were married) or what the majority in society would consider moral. So basically, I don’t think it matters what ones spiritual beliefs are because most people understand the worldly dangers of being sexually promiscuous.
    I can agree with this.

How did I come to know Jesus? I don't need any further justification to believe in the unseen when I set out on journey to find the truth.
    What exactly is "the unseen"? This sounds kind of nebulous.

I set out "open" to the possibility of God and eventually my heart found him in the midst of the storm.
    Oh lawdy this statement always gets me.

1) What do you mean by "open" and why are you putting in quote marks?
    2) What exactly do you mean by your "heart" finding him? This is ambiguous.

I'm not here to judge or prove that to anyone, as each person must walk their own path in life and do their own exploration.
    This is a very cool sediment to have.

I think what @Elfboy said makes sense because the Bible (God's word) tells the whole story, if one reads it in its entirety.
    I have read it in it's entirety and the only reason Elfboy's particular brand of theism makes sense to you is because he chooses to share the same base tenet of your own particular brand of theism. I would put serious money that his version of Christianity vastly differs from yours.

The Christian God (Jesus) is the only God that makes provisions for the redemption of mankind from sin.

Being an ENTP, that makes the most sense to me and I appreciate God's creativity there. It's as if he's trying to teach us (and perhaps the angels) something through his own actions. I find it very fascinating how God created us because he wants a relationship with us (a family) and he wants us to want to know him with our own free wills. Not by force.
    Sooooo many loaded statements and naked assertions in these two paragraphs that I won't even begin to bother.

As for the virgin, the cross: I see a very creative, humble God that tasted life and death "as man", for man. It doesn't need to line up with my 'ideals' of what an almighty God should do. It's Gods unique and perfect plan. Even though I have so many questions, my Fe tells me that I should respect the ones that made me (i.e., God, my parents); regardless of logic or how I feel.
    Which is all well and good for you but does nothing for me.

Question to all reading this: Why the hell do so many people try to render God into such a superfluous, useless concept?

ETA: Don't answer the above question, I'm going to start another thread over it.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

I really don't see why this idea can't be more widely accepted. Maybe it does goes back to the Ego that @Ginkgo mentioned.
    I believe part of the problem people have with pure materialism (the biggest part, I daresay) is historical. Reason is not as convincing as we might believe.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I believe part of the problem people have with pure materialism (the biggest part, I daresay) is historical. Reason is not as convincing as we might believe.
    Could the two be combined? Gonna sound strange and I should probably think about it a lil more, but: The ego can't help but be angered at the fact that we are made out of something that is worth less than something we can buy? We are worth less than a jewel... Perhaps in it's usefulness (objectivity) and in it's beauty (subjectivity). Materialism is a creation of the ego in any case.

Could the two be combined? Gonna sound strange and I should probably think about it a lil more, but: The ego can't help but be angered at the fact that we are made out of something that is worth less than something we can buy? We are worth less than a jewel... Perhaps in it's usefulness (objectivity) and in it's beauty (subjectivity). Materialism is a creation of the ego in any case.
    I and my ego are not angered by the fact that we are made up of simple matter. I am not sure about what kind of combination you are talking.