User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 111920212223 Last

Thread: Atheists:

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    In my opinion, a world where everyone believed in the same thing (whatever that might be) would be terribly boring, and not conducive in the slightest to the progression of human thought or civilization.
    I agree. I think the difference I see is the "my way or the highway" mentality. The main difference between the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions vs. others is that they adopt a very closed minded mentality that their religions contain the only path to God. Further, their religions openly command conversion. These two aspects alone take a generally good and peaceful religion of tolerance and turn them into an unintelligent nonstopping wheel of close minded spiritual aggression.

Taking a more agnostic view increases the possibility of open-mindedness, allowing everyone to be on the look for how to improve humanity and their religion. At least that's how I see it in my very unreal view of religious utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I agree. I think the difference I see is the "my way or the highway" mentality. The main difference between the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions vs. others is that they adopt a very closed minded mentality that their religions contain the only path to God. Further, their religions openly command conversion. These two aspects alone take a generally good and peaceful religion of tolerance and turn them into an unintelligent nonstopping wheel of close minded spiritual aggression.

Taking a more agnostic view increases the possibility of open-mindedness, allowing everyone to be on the look for how to improve humanity and their religion. At least that's how I see it in my very unreal view of religious utopia.

How can your type of open-mindedness lead to progress when all views are equal?

You can't make progress without necessarily judging those things that impede progress. Which means that some views must be better and more true than others. You're being very inconsistent.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Ftr, I'm all for open-mindedness and tolerance. But, REAL tolerance not this ignorant and incoherent postmodern view of tolerance. I believe in respecting all individuals and judging all ideas. Not this absurd view of respecting all views as equal... which necessarily calls for the disrespect of all individuals that do not respect all views as equal. Which makes this view far more oppressive.

It isn't real tolerance and is fundamentally incoherent because to be tolerant you must be able to disagree with something first.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    How can your type of open-mindedness lead to progress when all views are equal?

You can't make progress without necessarily judging those things that impede progress. Which means that some views must be better and more true than others. You're being very inconsistent.
    ByMySword judged and criticized two of them in the same post you responded to.

The world would be a better/worse place if all humans were atheists/agnostics/christians/muslims/mentally disabled/lesbians/etc/etc.

This is the kind of open-ended question where few people question the question, robotically attempting to answer something that is so general that no two people(hyperbole) would see the question the same way. Or at least force us to explain in great detail what we mean when we say that the world will be a better/worse/better and worse place.

The world would be better off because there'd be no religious groups attempting to murder, conquer or influence others. It would be worse off because it's likely that many would forget the contributions to humanity through the sciences, music, art, the written word, etc. Wait, was this an instant conversion to atheism or was it gradual?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree. I think the difference I see is the "my way or the highway" mentality. The main difference between the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions vs. others is that they adopt a very closed minded mentality that their religions contain the only path to God. Further, their religions openly command conversion.
    I never understood why people had the urge to add "Judeo" when they were talking about strictly Christianity.

Never heard of Judaism commanding conversions before. One of the main differences between early Christianity and Judaism is that Christians decided to preach to the pagans, while the Jews viewed themselves as God's chosen people and kept their religious teachings to themselves.

Unless I'm missing something here. Anyone more familiar with the history of theology feel free to jump in.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I never understood why people had the urge to add "Judeo" when they were talking about strictly Christianity.

Never heard of Judaism commanding conversions before. One of the main differences between early Christianity and Judaism is that Christians decided to preach to the pagans, while the Jews viewed themselves as God's chosen people and kept their religious teachings to themselves.

Unless I'm missing something here. Anyone more familiar with the history of theology feel free to jump in.
    I think it sounds cooler than Christianity or Judaism. I'm actually a scholar, so I know shit like dis.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

Speak to some Christians and hardcore atheists about the knowing aspect and see if you come away with the same conclusion. Of course you literally can't know, but they believe you can, hence their common aggression. So it still breeds the same in your face results. I didn't mean it as literally as you took it.
    I am a hardcore atheist, because as sure as I'm here right now, there is no god. I will however admit that I could be wrong about either or both. God may exist and I may not. I am a pure agnostic in that sense.
    I have a (new) blog here.

You should do these: JohariNohari

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

Christianity and Judeism are both derived from the Old testament/Tanakh. So Judeo-christian is just a term which means beliefs derived from the OT and Tanakh that both traditions agree on.

Conversion was definitely a part of O.T. teachings as the entire book of Jonah is about God commanding Jonah to go and preach to a city filled with wickedness so that they will convert. Frankly that should be a point of praise given that the alternative was to simply condemn everybody that wasn't born a jew. In the story Jonah was scolded because he hated the people of nineveh and wanted to see them condemned and destroyed not converted and saved.

Sniffles

The term "Judeo-Christian" is largely an American neologism trying to stress the common heritage and origins of Judaism and Christianity. Since 9/11, there have been attempts to expand it to "Judeo-Christian-Islamic", but it hasn't caught on as much as "Abrahamic".

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The main difference between the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions vs. others is that they adopt a very closed minded mentality that their religions contain the only path to God. Further, their religions openly command conversion. These two aspects alone take a generally good and peaceful religion of tolerance and turn them into an unintelligent nonstopping wheel of close minded spiritual aggression.
    I've seen, and still see equal amounts of closemindedness on both sides.

These days, most (non-fundamentalist) religions are pretty chill as far as conversion goes.

Some people on both sides will always think they have the market cornered on truth, and be douche's in lieu of that fact.

It's people that ruin religion and spirituality (or the lack thereof), not the other way around.