User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 25.25%
  • No

    60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

    14 14.14%
First 101819202122 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 276

Thread: Atheists:

  1. #191
    Senior Member Jessica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Let me put it like this: I have never been rejected by atheists for being anything I am. I have not had a single atheist (out of many) reject me for my transgender feelings, my socialist political leanings, my stances on abortion and gay rights, or, well, anything but what the best song in the world is. (The consensus was reached at 'Bohemian Rhapsody', after much consideration.)

    I have been banned from having certain friends (even 18+ ones) by religious parents who find out I'm an atheist or a socialist, let alone trans and et cetera.

    Religion has done literally not a goddamn positive to my life, and I don't think religion is capable of it... unless we're talking about the godless philosophical religions like you find in the East (Buddhism and such).
    I have a (new) blog here.

    You should do these: JohariNohari

  2. #192
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    The fact that this thread exists makes me disappointed in the forum.

    And slightly ashamed to be a member of it.

  3. #193
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The fact that this thread exists makes me disappointed in the forum.

    And slightly ashamed to be a member of it.
    Why?

  4. #194
    Senior Member jimrckhnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Belief or non-belief in the divine will of necessity influence your metaphysics, epistemology, politics and perhaps aesthetics (not sure on that one – my least read area of philosophy).

    I would postulate that there IS a right answer to the question “does the divine exist”. If you believe, as I do, that it does not I cannot see much benefit from masses of people believing in something that is false. The metaphysical implications alone would make me consider religious belief a net negative despite the utility that religious feelings and belief can have (social cohesion, a system of ethics, yadda, yadda).

    So if I believe that I am correct in that there is no divine (and I can’t imagine taking a position that one KNOWS to be incorrect) then I can only conclude that it would indeed be better if everybody was an atheist.

  5. #195
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Default

    I think it would be better if everyone was an agnostic. Saying that you KNOW that there isn't any supreme being is just as stupid as saying you KNOW there is.

  6. #196
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I think it would be better if everyone was an agnostic. Saying that you KNOW that there isn't any supreme being is just as stupid as saying you KNOW there is.
    That's not what atheism means. What you consider to be agnosticism is most likely what nearly every atheist adheres to.

  7. #197
    Senior Member Jessica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I think it would be better if everyone was an agnostic. Saying that you KNOW that there isn't any supreme being is just as stupid as saying you KNOW there is.
    Everyone is either agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.

    Either you believe in a god (but can't know, because you don't) and are an agnostic theist, or you don't believe in a god (but still can't know, because you don't) and are an agnostic atheist.

    No one, literally no one, has no opinion on the subject. You have an opinion. You don't 'not know', you either believe in a god or do not. Even if you spend all your time wondering and fluctuating between yes and no on the matter, you still have an average opinion.
    I have a (new) blog here.

    You should do these: JohariNohari

  8. #198
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    In my opinion, a world where everyone believed in the same thing (whatever that might be) would be terribly boring, and not conducive in the slightest to the progression of human thought or civilization.

  9. #199
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Everyone is either agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.

    Either you believe in a god (but can't know, because you don't) and are an agnostic theist, or you don't believe in a god (but still can't know, because you don't) and are an agnostic atheist.

    No one, literally no one, has no opinion on the subject. You have an opinion. You don't 'not know', you either believe in a god or do not. Even if you spend all your time wondering and fluctuating between yes and no on the matter, you still have an average opinion.
    Speak to some Christians and hardcore atheists about the knowing aspect and see if you come away with the same conclusion. Of course you literally can't know, but they believe you can, hence their common aggression. So it still breeds the same in your face results. I didn't mean it as literally as you took it.

  10. #200
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    In my opinion, a world where everyone believed in the same thing (whatever that might be) would be terribly boring, and not conducive in the slightest to the progression of human thought or civilization.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o00K7sC24is"]The Cuckoo Clock[/YOUTUBE]

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists more likely to believe in superstitions
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
  2. A question for Atheists AND Agnostics
    By CopyPaste in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. A question for Atheists
    By BlackCat in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
  4. [ENFP] A female ENFP, an atheist, and a part-time misanthrope...
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 01:28 AM
  5. The Atheist's Worst Nightmare: The Banana
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO