User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 123412 Last

Thread: Atheists:

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Sounds boring...and like it wouldn't make a difference with fighting. A lot of wars are not caused by religion, they just use it as an excuse, or other people seem to assume so.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Sounds boring...and like it wouldn't make a difference with fighting. A lot of wars are not caused by religion, they just use it as an excuse, or other people seem to assume so.
    I've always thought that people caused wars.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

That is true, yes.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I wonder what happens to the spiritual impulse in a world which is even more athiest than the status quo

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I'm atheist, but I don't think the world would be a better place if everyone was atheist. Richard Dawkins would spit on me for that, I'm sure, but I just don't believe it. It would be same shit, different demographics.

Even among the group of atheists I know there are power struggles and those wanting to force their will on other atheists (while at the same time talking about what oppressive shitheads religious people are). I think it's funny.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wonder what happens to the spiritual impulse in a world which is even more athiest than the status quo
    Whilst I don't know what that means, last I checked there's over a billion religious atheists, and even more non-religious but spiritual ones (whatever that means).

I think the spiritual stuff would keep going strong. The atheistic religions would spread a lot faster with reduced competition and people's desire for "spirituality" would still be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Okay, who hacked gromit's account?
    Haha... what do you mean who hacked my account?

I'm asking because I've known a couple atheists and they did/do seem to think the world would be a better place without people believing in religion, that it is something that makes people do bad things to each other, and that believing in God is not a rational position (and therefore not valid). Don't know if I really agree with it though. Or at least not all the way.

Most people I know believe in God in some way, although I prefer the live and let live type than the in-your-face type. Don't we all?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Whilst I don't know what that means, last I checked there's over a billion religious atheists, and even more non-religious but spiritual ones (whatever that means).

I think the spiritual stuff would keep going strong. The atheistic religions would spread a lot faster with reduced competition and people's desire for "spirituality" would still be around.
    You checked? How did you check?

I believe people have a longing for God, you can disbelief, you can deny and bury it deep but its still there. Unfortunately peoples alienation from religion and tradition, even their history, is so great that they've turned against not only it but God too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You checked? How did you check?
    Religious population statistics. It's why I said the vague "over one billion", not getting too specific. The higher estimates are over two billion, the lower just over one.

It's a very western thing to associate religion with theism. Fair enough though, most religious people are theistic, but most religions are atheistic (a lot of so called polytheistic religions are actually atheistic when it comes down to it). That's taking atheism to mean without a belief in god.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    As an atheist I'd have to say: No.

Shitheadedness is not determined by one's belief in the existence of "god" (who/whom/whatever it maybe) I'm afraid.
    ^ This. While one could argue that some religious extremists do some shitty things in the name of their religion.... So do many extremists about every political, ethical, moral stance. Thats never going to go away.

The fact is, it's a very positive force in many people's lives. It brings them comfort and joy, and even if I don't agree with their views, I'm happy they have that. Perhaps even envious.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~