User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 7151617181927 Last

Thread: Atheists:

Permabanned

Atheist taken literally means "not theist". Anything and everything is necessarily classified as atheist or theist. You can't be not atheist and not theist. If you aren't atheist or theist, then you aren't.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Okay. How does he know what they can't know, if he doesn't know what exists?
    Haha..
    I won't speak for him, but..
    I know what I think people can't know.
    However, I know that what I actually know is limited.
    So basically, I don't know.
    But, I assume no one does either.

I think it boils down to this. No one "knows", some choose to believe, and some choose to just be happy with the knowledge that no one knows (or if they do, it isn't provable to them, so it doesn't matter).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It depends on how they behaved afterwards, which has to do with why they abandoned their religion. If they matured and grew their own principles and values and decided religion was just a fiction, they'd behave ethically. If they had an existential crisis, they could either lose their shit (if immature and dimwitted) or pursue some other kind of purpose.

As much as Dawkins would disagree, I think religion does restrain some people from doing awful things. It also gives them an excuse to do bad things, but like others said, they'd probably be doing those things anyway. Maybe not after being educated and civilized, though.

Smile Non-Astrologers

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    Atheist taken literally means "not theist". Anything and everything is necessarily classified as atheist or theist. You can't be not atheist and not theist. If you aren't atheist or theist, then you aren't.
    So why don't we say anything and everything is necessarily classified at astrological or non-astrological?

I mean we just don't have people who call themselves non-astologers. It's faintly ridiculous, isn't it?

So from a logical point of view it is equally ridiculous to call ourselves atheists.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    As much as Dawkins would disagree, I think religion does restrain some people from doing awful things. It also gives them an excuse to do bad things, but like others said, they'd probably be doing those things anyway. Maybe not after being educated and civilized, though.
    I used to think that, it makes sense, but the prison population is more religious than the general one. Christianity labels everyone a sinner, so maybe the emphasis of "everyone is forgiven just accept Jesus" makes it easier to murder and wear a cross at the same time.

Atheists tend to be more educated and crime and poverty tend to match up, it's more about your options.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So why don't we say anything and everything is necessarily classified at astrological or non-astrological?

I mean we just don't have people who call themselves non-astologers. It's faintly ridiculous, isn't it?

So from a logical point of view it is equally ridiculous to call ourselves atheists.
    Do you think there is a stigma associated with it?

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Atheists tend to be more educated and crime and poverty tend to match up, it's more about your options.
    Is that a fact or your opinion? Jung says something to the contrary.

Do you think there is a stigma associated with it?
    I think it is a stategic error to call ourselves atheists because theists have their stock arguments against atheism. I think it is far better to focus on the individual teaching of a particular religion. For instance, it is better to focus on jihad than defending oneself as an atheist.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Is that a fact or your opinion? Jung says something to the contrary.
    Federal Bureau of Prisons had this study, which puts the atheist number at .209 % near the bottom. Haven't seen a study about the general population with a percentage less than that.

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki...theists#note-6

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Federal Bureau of Prisons had this study, which puts the atheist number at .209 % near the bottom. Haven't seen a study about the general population with a percentage less than that.

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki...theists#note-6
    I find those prison statistics little informative though, considering the link between atheism and education (and thus indirectly socioeconomic status) and that a large share of those Catholics is probably young male Hispanics from, ehem, rough neighborhoods (the alternative explanation would be that Catholicism entices violence and crime on an enormous scale!).

But I guess you just wanted to underline your statement that there are correlations. A quick google search will show dozents of studies proving your point that there is a positive correlation between atheism and education. I find that more important than the link to crime (which would only be relevant if anybody seriously believed that atheists were somehow totally without morals, but I hope that enoying idea has been cleared up once and for all). As for poverty, isn't that also linked to education? At least partially? Not that your general life situation doesn't play a role in your desire for a higher power. Of course it does. Big time.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari