User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 25.25%
  • No

    60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

    14 14.14%
First 4121314151624 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 276

Thread: Atheists:

  1. #131
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    I wonder if those same people would still go out and help the poor and hungry if they lost that reason.
    Frankly sometimes atheists do a better job with these things, in the name of their political ideology.

    There are mean nasty atheists and mean nasty religious people. I mean, I guess at least the atheists admit they're being mean and nasty.

    I don't know. I really don't see anything socially or economically superior about nations which are officially atheist, as I noted earlier in the thread, but on the other hand you've got those people who do god-awful (ha ha) crazy shit in the name of Their Lord And Savior.

    I think people are going to be people no matter what, and without religion you could at least teach people science, but would things really be better?

    Also, Buddhists and Taoists can be atheist or agnostic but still relgious or spiritual.

  2. #132
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    will you expand on that last bit about the buddhists and taoists?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #133
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    will you expand on that last bit about the buddhists and taoists?
    There are people who follow the morality and philosophy of Buddhism or Taoism without believing there is a god, or at least being agnostic about the existence of a god.

    I think Taoism in general could almost be described as officially agnostic because the Tao is more like an energy of unity in the universe, a force, a flow, it isn't a god per se, it's just The Way of nature and the universe. There is no personality or dogma assigned to the Tao. It isn't a man, or some animal-headed being judging you. It is described as something being at one with the natural order of things.

    People can be moral without being theists. One of the most moral people I know of is an agnostic socialist Kantian philosopher.

  4. #134
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    right...you're right. i like that. i should read more about taoism.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  5. #135
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think if you need to believe in god to care about other people, there's something wrong with you.

    I'm gonna love people whether I decide I believe in a god or not. What.the.hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm not sure what you mean by that. one can act lovingly and treat human life as something sacred without believing in a god. i've known many agnostics and atheists and they're just as loving as any religious people i know.

    ...

    i agree...and maybe i misunderstood him but thought that's why he was saying one must act as tho they do....not sure tho.
    Yes, people can be loving without religion, but without religion there is no reason to be loving. They have just as much reason to act any other way they want and can easily justify it. This is because the love is just a random act and no better or worst than anything society deems bad. There can be no absolute good or bad in materialistic atheism thus everything is permissible.

    Marm, when you say "there is something wrong with you" within your system of belief that statement is meaningless because it's just your opinion. You must be able to believe their is a God and creator of universal law to make judgements that other people have "something wrong with them." You obviously are making a judgement which you mean to have more weight then your own opinion therefore you are acting as if there is a God even though you claim there isn't one.




    Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    The question is, which religion?
    The most consistent and coherent one.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #136
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    the feeling of right vs wrong doesn't stem from a spiritual place for everyone. it is not the fear of being punished in the after life that steers their actions.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  7. #137
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    the feeling of right vs wrong doesn't stem from a spiritual place for everyone. it is not the fear of being punished in the after life that steers their actions.
    I'm not speaking of feelings, spirituality, or fear. You are reading into my statements all kinds of things I haven't even hinted at.

    If someone is a materialistic atheist (nothing exists other than the physical and material world) they have no consistent basis for any values. They certainly may have values but they are being inconsistent unless they acknowledge that their values are nothing but an illusion... But almost everybody acts as if their values matter.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #138
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm not speaking of feelings, spirituality, or fear. You are reading into my statements all kinds of things I have'nt even hinted at.

    If someone is a materialistic atheist (nothing exists other than the physical and material world) they have no consistent basis for any values. They certainly may have values but they are being inconsistent unless they acknowledge that their values are nothing but an illusion... But almost everybody acts as if their values matter.
    i'm sorry...i honestly don't mean to read into what you've written. i guess i'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. it sounds like you think without faith in an afterlife that ones values are meaningless. that one would have no reason to chose right over wrong.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  9. #139
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If someone is a materialistic atheist (nothing exists other than the physical and material world) they have no consistent basis for any values. They certainly may have values but they are being inconsistent unless they acknowledge that their values are nothing but an illusion.
    How does not being a materialistic atheist change that? How can there be any stronger basis for a value than what materialistic atheists have?

    If god can make a universal law to instil a value into the universe, why can't that same value exist without god? How does a value get instilled into the universe any more than what you conceive happens in a purely materialistic one, even with god? How is that special, rather than arbitrary and just people's opinions on god's laws?

    I guess the simplest form of these questions is, "how can a value ever be anything more than an arbitrary mental entity, existing solely in people's minds?"

  10. #140
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    That must be your favorite argument against atheists, Beefeater.

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists more likely to believe in superstitions
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
  2. A question for Atheists AND Agnostics
    By CopyPaste in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. A question for Atheists
    By BlackCat in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
  4. [ENFP] A female ENFP, an atheist, and a part-time misanthrope...
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 01:28 AM
  5. The Atheist's Worst Nightmare: The Banana
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO