User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 8910111220 Last

Thread: Atheists:

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Posts about art and atheism moved here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...heism-art.html. Threw in the posts about beauty since they seemed more related to that thread, although it could go either way.

I left the first few posts here since they seemed more related to the topic of this thread. Some posts that were off-topic for either thread went to off-topic land.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

For me, it's hard to tell, either way. People will always be people, I suppose, and religious sentiments are easy to come by, given the general ignorance and propensity to not think amongst the masses. Atheism, for its worth, is for a minority.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    INFX

I think the world would be a better place if everyone adopted Secular Humanism. That probably would be facilitated if everyone were atheistic, so I vote Yes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I think many political issues would be decided if everyone were atheist. Gays would almost certainly be allowed to get married, stem cell research could go unhindered...I thought there would be more. Those two issues are important enough to garner a "yes, it would be better" from me.

Additionally, such atrocities as the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, all the fighting in the middle east, and most of the holocaust would either have not happened or would have been reduced significantly in severity.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    As an atheist I'd be hypocrite if I sayd no, so yes, I think the world would be better off if everyone would be an atheist like me.
    But no one else, atheist or otherwise, is like you; what provides utility for one person is seldom universal. You would not be a hypocrite to say no, you would simply be acknowledging and respecting human diversity. The same applies for people who think the world would be better without 'atheism' (which I usually interperate as a lack of supernatural beliefs, referring to common usage rather than sctrict meaning).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Gromit, I'm agnostic and didn't know whether to vote in your poll or not. Are you addressing all of those not committed to belief in a deity, or strictly atheists?
    I'm always a bit agitated by the mixed perceptions on the definitions of atheism. As a teen I thought I was agnostic (as most "open-minded" teens do), but upon learning atheism is just the disbelief in deities I would now consider myself an atheist. This would mean a lot of people I've heard describe themselves as agnostic are actually de facto atheists.....but they seem to cling to the idea that atheism is merely the outspoken and ignorant sibling of agnosticism ;__;

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

athe·ist
    noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
    Definition of ATHEIST
    : one who believes that there is no deity
    1ag·nos·tic
    noun \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
    Definition of AGNOSTIC
    : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
    : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
    An agnostic who knows his Merriam Webster is convinced that neither the existence nor the nonexistence of a deity can be proven and/or abstains from settling on one side of the debate. An atheist assumes that there is no god.

Personally, I am pretty sure there is no god. So when asked, I say I'm an atheist. But since I also see a problem with disproving the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pasta be upon him), I guess technically I am a practical atheist and a theoretical agnostic. But I only ever mention this when people become nitpicky in a discussion.

Should everybody be an atheist? Religion is a great motivator for good or for bad. A secular humanism (that I perscribe to) might be able to at least theoretically take its place. But I think religion at its ugliest is only a cover for certain human instincts against which atheists aren't immune either. Most religions (with the notable exception of satanism) preach some form of altruism and are designed to keep the community together. When that collective drive get's nasty, religion might be at the surface, but I'm afraid we'd bash our brains out over such trite matters as sports matches anyway.

Religion is a great tool that can be used to get people to act on their social instincts, to appreciate the world around them and to feel like they are part of something bigger. Humanism could take care of that as well. Religion also has a long tradition of being used by those in power to cement their position, to pitch one group against another, etc. That could be done with different tools as well.

Voltaire said "“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.”. I say, if religion was eradicated, it would probably be reborn under another name or something equally ambivalent would take its place. So much for those hopes for a humanist paradise.
    Last edited by Red Herring; 03-29-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    athe·ist
    noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
    Definition of ATHEIST
    : one who believes that there is no deity
    An agnostic who knows his Merriam Webster is convinced that neither the existence nor the existence of a deity can be proven and/or abstains from settling on one side of the debate. An atheist assumes that there is no god.

Personally, I am pretty sure there is no god. So when asked, I say IÄm an atheist. But since I also see a problem with disproving the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pasta be upon him), I guess technically I am a practical atheist and a theoretical agnostic. But I only ever mention this when people become nitpicky in a discussion.

Should everybody be atheist? Religion is a great motivator for good or for bad. A secular humanism (that I perscribe to) might be able to at least theoretically take its place. But I think religion at its ugliest is only a cover for certain human instincts against which atheists aren't immune either. Most religions (with the notable exception of satanism) preach some form of altruism and are designed to keep the community together. When that collective drive get's nasty, religion might be at the surface, but I'm afraid we'd bash our brains out over such trite matters as sports matches anyway.

Religion is a great tool that can be used to get people to act on their social instincts, to appreciate the world around them and to feel like they are part of something bigger. Humanism could take care of that as well. Religion also has a long tradition of being used by those in power to cement their position, to pitch one group against another, etc. That could be done with different tools as well.

Voltaire said "“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.”. I say, if religion was eradicated, it would probably be reborn under another name or something equally ambivalent would take its place. So much for those hopes for a humanist paradise.
    I think this says it all. Good post.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I usually identify as an agnostic, but it really depends on how you define God. The more purposeful, willful, tangible, or local the concept of God is, the less likely I think it is to exist, and in regard to some versions, I am flatly an atheist. Others I find too transcendent of what we understand or can even apply evidence to for me to be certain of their non-existence, so in those cases I am agnostic. In no case am I a faithful believer.

Another important aspect of my agnosticism is not caring. So what if there is or isn't a God? In fact, the more believable the representation of God gets, incidentally the less important its existence becomes, too. I am one of those people that believes, as Sartre originally did, that all existential problems remain present even if God is proven to exist. The question of God's existence is to me typically a trying, boring, waste of my time.

Would the world be a better place if everyone were atheist? I really have no idea. I can imagine various ways it could be better, or worse, or negligibly different. It all depends on how the belief or disbelief in God affects the belief in other things. As I said, I don't really care about the subject of God's existence in and of itself. But if, say, we can presume that people who believe in God are far more likely to not believe in evolution than people who don't, then perhaps it would be better if everyone were an atheist. That's just one example. The problem is that I don't pretend to know all of the different aspects of our thinking that it would affect.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It appears that ugliness, suffering and hopeless artforms don't solely reside with atheists. Which came first, the cart or the horse? How often do you see this symbol of suffering and martyrdom depicted in theist art or pretty much stamped indelibly...everywhere?

I find this beautiful: