• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Precognition, Dreams & Déjà vu

G

Ginkgo

Since as far back as I can remember, I've experienced reoccurring Déjà vu. It never happens in the same moments more than once, as far as I can tell. However, on every occasion, I'm taken aback by how such a crisp recollection leads itself into knowing exactly what happens next. Immobilized and unable to redirect fate as it comes to life before me is one of the worst feelings I've ever felt.

I suspect that my dreams lead me to see these images before they actually happen, though I'm not sure with what clarity. Honestly, I'm not even sure if this is the case at all; it just seems to be the most reasonable and hard felt explanation.

Most fairy tales, myths, and legends seem to depict premonitions as symbolic or allegorical, and with the proper guidance, their significance is revealed (in other words, the manifest content of the dream is decoded into latent content). While I am familiar with those paradoxical dreams common to most people, they don't seem to be the cause of my Déjà vu, or whatever term you want to use for it.

I've known a few other people who experience this, 2 that are extremely close to me. However, not all of them resist it like I do, but embrace it.

Do you ever experience this or something similar? If so, what is it like?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Yes, I do get them.

I have a theory though. The basis is that, I never actually dreamed of anything, since I can only recall the "dream" when the experience is happening in real-life.

I thought: Maybe there is some kind of glitch in our memory, like a void, something missing, that the brain triggers a fix that fills the void with whatever I actually am experiencing right now. Thus the Déjà vu.

I don't have any evidence unfortunately. I also do not like the idea of fate, not that I can disprove it.

G

Ginkgo

I thought: Maybe there is some kind of glitch in our memory, like a void, something missing, that the brain triggers a fix that fills the void with whatever I actually am experiencing right now. Thus the Déjà vu.

Interesting. Sounds like a special kind of cryptamnesia.

I don't have any evidence unfortunately. I also do not like the idea of fate, not that I can disprove it.

What do you think of the phrase: "Sometimes when one walks away from his fate, it leads one directly to fate's doorstep."?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Interesting. Sounds like a special kind of cryptamnesia.
Yes, but opposite of it. I'm not sure if there already is a term for it. And I wouldn't call it amnesia, because there isn't really anything for Déjà vu to remember. It's just new memory that we think is old.

What do you think of the phrase: "Sometimes when one walks away from his fate, it leads one directly to fate's doorstep."?
I'm not sure what kind of response you're expecting, but I won't deny the possibility of fate.

I had another realization when I was a bit younger. It was that everything has a cause and an effect, that nothing is truly random, and that it was theoretically possible to predict the future in a straight line in perfect detail.

I found out there already was a term for it. It was called Causal Determinism—a scientific term/study for fate I guess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know if I believe in "fate" ... but I believe in patterns and synergy (so, prior choices will limit and shape current and future choices), and it also seems that when we try to run away from things, we end up being driven right into them through the back door. Choosing to face them is a more autonomous and self-directed choice, running seems to be yet another reaction to external forces.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have tons of deja vu's, like on this forum I often post something and after I posted it I feel like I have already posted it before and it is like the reactions to my post and the emotions I got from it, like say a laugh, actually happened before.

The freakiest one that happened to me is a precog dream.

Here's how I experienced it:

I woke up after having an odd dream, I didn't think much about it. I got ready for work, left by car, and bang, ran over a bunny that suddenly scooted over the road in front of me. I sort of knew at that time that my dream was about being a bunny running in front of a car, but the eyes of the bunny being my dream eyes.

I believe that being in a dream state at the time of the dream, the brain registers vague pointers without context, before I ran over the bunny I could hardly remember what I dreamt about and I didn't try to either. I ran over the bunny, something from that situation was similar to something I dreamt about, and my brain connected the dots and created the context by itself as if I had actually dreamt about it. But the truth is that I didn't dream about being a bunny that ran in front of a car. But that I dreamt about something similar and my brain made it into a bunny that ran over a car.

So I don't believe in procognitioned dreams, I just think that our brain has a way of sometimes connecting dots to make sense of things unconsciously. As for the deja vu's, I chalk them up to the same. I post something, I get a reaction that causes an emotion, it's an emotion I have had before and it therefor feels familiar, and my brain connects the dots thinking I had already posted (or dreamt or whatever) it before.

This is just how our brain works, it's not psychic or anything like that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Religious mumbo jumbo. If such a thing as fate would exist, one could not try to run from it in the first place, as that in itself would be his/her fate. Wether or not fate is real is not even an issue. It's not something that we can work with or alter. It's nice stuff for movies and stuff to create plots and interesting stories. But otherwise it's totally pointless. An utter and complete non-issue.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with Fluffywolf. I have this Deja-vu-Feeling also very often - but always AFTER the event took place. I NEVER actually knew something before. I think this is something especially N-related, maybe Ni in particular; Connecting things that shouldn't be connected. My INFJ-friend told me about his dreams that actually happened quite regular when we were younger.

Oh, and if you really love this fate-thing, play shadow of destiny.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually go through horrible episodes of déjà vu sometimes. For some reason, when I get it, it’ll happen repeatedly all day- and it only gets stronger as the day goes on. It always happens with a sinking feeling in my stomach, like I’ve just gone over a small hill really fast in a car- and the sinking feeling gets stronger as the day goes on too. There’s also a bizarre, sort of euphoric feeling that accompanies it. It sometimes gets to the point where I feel nauseous and vomit afterward, and/or I break out into a cold sweat. The whole thing only lasts a few seconds, but I’ll be disoriented for close to half an hour afterwards. I’ll have several days like this within a six month period (usually when I’m stressed), then it’ll disappear for a few years. It’s been going on since junior high-school for me though.

I’ve actually been to a neurologist for it, to test for epilepsy. Really strong episodes of déjà vu (or jamais vu- the feeling a familiar environment is completely foreign to you) can be indicative of partial seizures. And while the descriptions of partial seizures fit my experience to a tee (having had these for many years before reading a 'partial seizure' description), my EEG came back negative. So I don't know *what* it is, maybe some kind of panic attack. At any rate, I don't believe I've actually precog'ed the actual experience- however much it may *feel* like that's the case while I'm experiencing it. I think it's just wonky brain chemistry. :shrug:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UH7Ixvu8bg&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

I always envied people who had deja vus or precognition or talked to Jesus. I just never had that yet I'ld like to know how it feels

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have this Deja-vu-Feeling also very often - but always AFTER the event took place.

+1

I think it's just caused by the way the mind stores memories. Perhaps having a poor memory increases the tendency. Plus it's often very mundane things (i.e. easily replicated).