User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Materalism

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Question Materalism

I have seen this word used in widely-different ways. I wonder what other people think of this concept: is it overused to the point of meaninglessness? Do we use the word, even when it's not appropiate? And finally: what do you think it means?
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    INTP

When I hear the word, it brings to mind (depending on the context) someone who values material comforts more than human relationships, intellectual pursuits, or spiritual concerns. It is probably over-used, but not as much as 'consumerism'.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

When I think of a materialist, I think of it as a person who is focused mostly on accumulating wealth and status symbols, like a big house, a nice car, lots of expensive electronics, etc... you know what I mean?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    When I think of a materialist, I think of it as a person who is focused mostly on accumulating wealth and status symbols, like a big house, a nice car, lots of expensive electronics, etc... you know what I mean?
    Athenian is right for once.

I don't think it is meaningless and I think it is a problem in certain parts of the country more than others.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Social Materialsim: yay presents, stuff, goods, and money! Physical items like TV's, cars, games, food, other shit that I don't need! (also reltaed to consumerism)

Physical Materialism: all stuff in the universe is made up of atoms and all the shit you learned in physics. (also related to atomism)

MBTI
    INTP

A materialist values the material over the immaterial. This we can say for sure.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    I have seen this word used in widely-different ways. I wonder what other people think of this concept: is it overused to the point of meaninglessness? Do we use the word, even when it's not appropiate? And finally: what do you think it means?
    'Materialism' is a pejorative word used by those who believe in the supernatural.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bad mouthing those who don't believe in the supernatural.

The supernaturalists sneer at the naturalists by calling them 'materialists'.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bullying those who don't believe in the supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    'Materialism' is a pejorative word used by those who believe in the supernatural.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bad mouthing those who don't believe in the supernatural.

The supernaturalists sneer at the naturalists by calling them 'materialists'.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bullying those who don't believe in the supernatural.
    +3
    1 for answering it correctly
    1 for staying on topic with "philosophy"
    1 for staying on topic with "spirituality"

Well done, Mr. Toad!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's two things. It can be someone who cares more about wealth than other human beings or relationships or intellect/education.

It can also be like when the little dancing man in Twin Peaks runs his hands back and forth and says "formica table," wondering at the reality of the physical world, at ideas and energy made form.

MBTI
    ENTP

It's a label.
    I suppose people use it to define behavior, a preference towards material things.
    I've actually thought of this for a while.

People perceive objects differently, therefor there will be a multitude of perspectives and "relationships" with objects.
    If objects make us feel better, we buy more, otherwise we don't...obviously.

You feel something when you buy something new, you're somewhat excited, I can't define that feeling.
    Buying things causes addiction...so the pleasure "materialistic" people experience from the objects must be pretty intense...otherwise...they wouldn't get ADDICTED to buying shit.

You can also spend your money on experiencing new things, which is far more interesting, you can go places, you can do a lot of stuff. You don't have to buy a bigger tv.