User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: Faith vs. Logic

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    I hate that I finally passed out asleep just as the discussion began full flow. Time to play now that I'm semi-awake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Kind of like there's a possibility that god could exist but it's yet to be proven?
    You didn't quote me and it confused me at first. Ha. You nearly made me think Kiddo was I! Anyhoo, I pretty much said that (I think you were playing with me!! Wooo!) The problem is the tools don't exist to prove it. And no one is creating the tools to prove it because it's not currently possible and most people just take that as a given. Maybe it is possible but people aren't trying to because there is the big Threat that god doesn't exist or at least as defined by most religious people. Scary! People are so trapped by their faith, they refuse to so much as try or it's not the point to try. Just have faith. Right err. But hey, what works for them, let it work... I won't begrudge a person their faith. I just don't like the people who aren't open that they could be wrong. I said the same for atheists who aren't open that they could be wrong too. The moment we restrict ourselves by limiting our options, we become boxed by them. This coming from a Dom Ni, ya--N i know. It's fine to limit initially to make that choice but to remain open that you can change it should you be found wrong or suspect you're wrong. Or people tell you that you're wrong, Heaven forbid! As I said, I'm open to the possibility even though I wouldn't define 'god' the way most people would. So, no more taking it as a given for those who'd take it as so. Give me, give me.. or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    If science has any inherent "faith", it's only the radical assumption that reality exists and is coherent. The rest is entirely logic, and everything from that is completely non-contradictory.

    Really, I don't think that's so radical, myself. Some people may point out the problem of induction, the problem of where the axioms come from, etc. but unless you're willing to accept total and irrecoverable nihilism, you have to start somewhere.
    It's not radical to you now but, hey, if you existed during Galielo's time... Radical at first until it cannot be denied any longer due to evidence. And maybe hundreds of years until you're pardoned for that radical thought. Imagine this!!



    That exists in an alternate reality, Ni told me so!!! Thank you, for our reality's, Father Galileo!

    And if anyone wants to attempt to transcend my "faith" in the laws of gravity right off the top of a building, be my guest.

    But I'm guessing no one will, and I do think that's indicative of some implicit and intuitive knowledge we have that reality is, you know, real.
    nemo! Drats, man. You didn't see me that one time?! I'll try it again. Next time, wake up. Reality is, you know Ni, relative.

    And what no one seems to be mentioning is that science freakin' works. Even with bizarre things we definitely don't understand well -- for instance, quantum mechanics predicts phenomena so accurately that it is literally on the scale as if one accurately measured the distance across the United States to within the width of one human hair.

    That's pretty cool, if you ask me.
    I think someone mentioned it before but I can't be certain. I mean.. I have faith it was written but I can't find it.... W/e. Stupid Si-- I think it was nightning. Science works until another scientist, or a group of them, happily comes along and disproves a system or idea in order to supplant it with another. It worked in the past but not currently. Or it may not have been entirely disproven, it just becomes enhanced by new theories and new evidence. Ta da!

    What I'd really really really like to know is... why have I never been able to access "?"'s profile???!!! I'm beginning to suspect s/he is God/dess!!!

    Excuse, me. Time to jump off another building. You're all invited to watch. nemo gets a front view, though. His Ni told me not to tell him.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    ... ilfaithical...

  3. #63
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    You humans sure are strange...

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Rhetorical question: Which of these statements make sense?
    You're so silly! My dad hates The Rhetorical. I sense it's time to play with you and all who watch us me!

    (1) "x has faith" or "x has logic"?
    X has Y-- This is why XX suffers...

    (2) "x has faith in logic" or "x has logic in faith"?
    Most XX have faith in XY. This is why most XY have no faith in all XX but logically use most XX.. This how some XX logically use all XY.. but nothing beats XXX.. So far...

    (3) "an invalid argument is illogical" or "an invalid argument is ilfaithical"?
    Ilfaithical isn't a word, silly. An invalid argument is disbelieved. Or unbelieved. Or... I wanna say skepticized but I have to Pop Vocab it first =/ You could do the same with ilfaithical!!! But my word is better and probably catch on whereas you will be caught by Believers! Hide nocturne, hide from the diurnal sounds and binaural beatings!

    (4) "logic is concerned with the validity of formulas" or "faith is concerned with the validity of formulas"?
    Logic is unconcerned with the invalidity of belief and Faith is unconcerned with the invalidity of belief (or Faith should be )

    (5) "an argument is logical if the conclusion follows from the premises" or "an argument is faithical if the conclusion follows from the premises"?


    Ah erm.. Faithical is logical if nocturne believes this word exists for him and him alone.

    (6) "x has a strong faith" or "x has a strong logic"?
    I've got one hand to keep both in my pocket and the other one's used to take'em out and put'em in the other pocket when I have to separate'em most of the time (Gotta Keep'em Separated! HEYAY!). Faith likes to bark at Logic and Logic likes to bite back at Faith...but I like watchin'em play when I take'em out, even if I have to do time for them!

    I Feel drunk but I Look sober. I Feel sober but I Look drunk. I unconsciously use Faith and Logic interchangebly during both times-- or I consciously use'em without meaning to or I meant hat I put on... Ni don't know which one I am right now =/ I do

    (7) "x has faith in The Bible" or "x has logic in The Bible"?
    Which "The Bible"? The original copied stories bound together after numerous years of floating around a desert of time within a group of dehydrated minds? The thousands of altered editions of thousands of altered translations of "The Bible" which were copied stories bound together after.........within a group's imagination dehydrated mind?

    (8) "the sunday service was a gathering of the faithful" or "the sunday service was a gathering of the logicful"?
    The Sunday Service was a gathering of the logical. And they'd logically not show up...

    *throws up hands* At least apples and oranges are both fruit...
    *grabs hands and throws'em around* Apples and oranges are both fruit because they are defined as fruit.

    That was SO MUCH fun! It nearly woke me up! And will likely logically or faithfully confirm to most people here that I am crazy! Crazy of mind or crazy at heart or both! And Edahn might give me another neg rep to playfully spite me for my use of emoticons which I've been trying to use to get rid of my fear of them...

    Quote Originally Posted by faith
    There's faith but where's logic? And why is it that logic is never happy until there's a reason to be so? Or after logic has a one minute hit of faith and then goes on and on hitting and missing its point until its satisfied in the end and thinks faith is too...until its proven incorrect and then it begins over and... Y is always after X until it tires of X! Oh noes! That resultS in Evil X-ing out of errors!


  5. #65
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Science can't disprove the existence of invisible pink unicorns on Mars, either. But in science, absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
    Damn right. The nice thing about scientists is, if we see something that doesn't fit the previously collected evidence, we'll change our conclusions. Science is designed to be flexible. Unless you're practicing bad science. Faith is not flexible.

    I don't think the fact that something can't be disproved is any reason to believe in it. Why would you believe in invisible pink unicorns living on Mars?
    The bible said to.
    See 27:11

    I like even standards, personally.

    And if anyone claims to be able to perceive the existence of God without others being able to replicate their results, science will just take the standpoint that their experiences are the result of the known cognitive irregularities of human intelligence, and not the result of some unknown transcendental being's super-intelligence.
    Nemo wins.
    we fukin won boys

  6. #66
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I would argue that logic deals with the intangible. Logic is the study of formal languages, transformation rules, consistency, completeness, argument, validity, etc. It does not concern the study of tangible objects in the universe, such as air, water or stones, but what does or does not follow from particular statements or propositions, irrespective of the facts. (The semantic interpretation of a set of symbols of a language need not even concern truth and falsity, for example).
    Our points align.

  7. #67
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Faith is not flexible.
    Yes it is. Blind faith may not be, but faith is.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Yes it is. Blind faith may not be, but faith is.
    keke I wanted to say it but didn't want to get bitten by an undercover Noc... One line I was going to say, "...unless you're practicing bad faith." But blind works too. <--closed eyes but still happy like the people who are blinded by faith. It's sometimes fun/ny to watch..until they try to bite you..with their collectively big chompers...which makes us all a bit of losers because we all then try to champ but usually chump out..

    Back to sleep I go, I fear I've become to corny playful for my own good. Night, Night.

  9. #69
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Yes it is. Blind faith may not be, but faith is.
    No, it isn't. If you change your belief, then you didn't have faith in that belief.

    Do you own a dictionary?
    we fukin won boys

  10. #70
    Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    entj
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Have you actually *tried* faith ? And I mean REALLY tried, not just "looked at it from afar", or "considered intellectually"?
    FYI I used to be a Buddhist and actually deeply believed in nirvana. Now, I'm more of an evolutionist guy.

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] xNTP vs. xNTJ In Logic and Debate
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 09:33 PM
  2. Zizek on Lacan - Masculine vs Feminine Logic
    By Il Morto Che Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
  3. Empiricism vs. Logic
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 02:22 AM
  4. MBTI Faith and the Ideal vs the Real
    By Kalach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 08:35 PM
  5. Faith vs Faithfulness
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO