User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Faith vs. Logic

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Scientists never accept anything without supporting evidence. Faith is completely excluded from the scientific process at every point. They don't accept evidence because they have faith that it's correct. They accept the evidence because it is demonstrable, repeatable and consistent. If a scientist ever does take something on faith then he isn't doing science.

If you want to get all solipsistic then there's not much to be said.

I think the issue should be Faith vs Empiricism, with logic being a tool in the service of empiricism.
    Hey don't get me wrong I tend to subscribe to science myself as it tends to put the puzzle pieces together in a neat orderly manner for me. However, my concern is more with the belief that science is infalliable, to me it is an ever evolving process, that provides "correct" answers in the current context. The great scientists weren't formulaic and tended to look outside the current sphere of reference to construct their theories. I'm not really into solipsism, as I'm pretty sure that we both have the same understandings of what the colour blue is for example. But I understand that no "reality" would render this entire discussion meaningless.

But hey perhaps it's an N vs. S thing?
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    the only trouble is: science has never been able to prove or disprove the presence of God.
    Science can't disprove the existence of invisible pink unicorns on Mars, either. But in science, absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

I don't think the fact that something can't be disproved is any reason to believe in it. Why would you believe in invisible pink unicorns living on Mars?

I like even standards, personally.

And if anyone claims to be able to perceive the existence of God without others being able to replicate their results, science will just take the standpoint that their experiences are the result of the known cognitive irregularities of human intelligence, and not the result of some unknown transcendental being's super-intelligence.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I'm not very good in either of them: having faith or logical reasoning.
    Intuition keeps too many options open for me to believe 100&#37; in faith or to (so called) logical reasoning.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Faith vs Logic... inducing one into the other dimishes them both. I have to wonder if those doing so really know what either one is.

MBTI
    entj

I think perhaps you guys are over thinking it?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    I think perhaps you guys are over thinking it?
    Over... Thinking... What's that???

MBTI
    entj

I have read 6 pages here and I declare the winner is Logic!

It doesn't make any sense to me how someone can further debate faith. Faith is like made up of fluffy marshmellows while logic is made up of rock candy. Obviously, logic squishes faith!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    It doesn't make any sense to me how someone can further debate faith. Faith is like made up of fluffy marshmellows while logic is made up of rock candy. Obviously, logic squishes faith!
    Have you actually *tried* faith ? And I mean REALLY tried, not just "looked at it from afar", or "considered intellectually"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I agree with Nocturne, as much as I can't believe it.

Logic does not apply to anything real, it applies to our abstracted understanding of it. That is the nature of logic. It's thought, not form.

Faith requires no understanding but does tend to attract claims of proof and such. These feeble attempts at validating a faith as "right" and "true" is where others apply logic, the most commonly accepted theoretical validator of what is true and right. The two things aren't particularly compatible but as logic attempts to ascertain what is true, or rather what is logical and probable, then could it not be said to encompass faith unless what faith is relevant to does not exist?

Either that or the other option is that logic is at present inadequate to the task. Perhaps the whole human mind is inadequate to the task. Still that seems like the get out clause of a lazy mind, either that or great wisdom... is there ever any clear differentiation between the two?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Rhetorical question: Which of these statements make sense?

(1) "x has faith" or "x has logic"?
    (2) "x has faith in logic" or "x has logic in faith"?
    (3) "an invalid argument is illogical" or "an invalid argument is ilfaithical"?
    (4) "logic is concerned with the validity of formulas" or "faith is concerned with the validity of formulas"?
    (5) "an argument is logical if the conclusion follows from the premises" or "an argument is faithical if the conclusion follows from the premises"?
    (6) "x has a strong faith" or "x has a strong logic"?
    (7) "x has faith in The Bible" or "x has logic in The Bible"?
    (8) "the sunday service was a gathering of the faithful" or "the sunday service was a gathering of the logicful"?

*throws up hands* At least apples and oranges are both fruit...
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.