User Tag List

First 12

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    ?

I was speaking of things such as taking a walk, reading a book from the library, or having a little picnic.
    Ok.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    The price we pay to get the things we want out of life. Equivalent exchange? Although, we know we don't always get back what we put in, depending upon how we judge the outcome. If it is within one man's ability and potential to obtain everything he desires, is it not cruel to be subject to the limitations of time and energy which ultimately crush his grand volition toward the attainment of all things good...
    I have noticed the many decisions in my life in which I always contemplate the future possibilities if I had gone one path compared to another path. While there may be benefits associated with one want or decision, there sometimes appear to be a price associated with not picking the alternate.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Once you have basic necessities, there is a lot to enjoy in life that is free or costs very little.
    It is so hard to do with lots of tensions and pressures in life.

Quote Originally Posted by roman67 View Post
    It is so hard to do with lots of tensions and pressures in life.
    Yes so very true. I think it's about setting your own priorities for yourself.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It is a complete evaluation of life. Do we pay more for higher quality ingredients, new electronics that can make our lives easier, better cars that can help the environment, and work full time to afford an apartment/house and clothes and such? Or do we down size and stick with things that are slower and broken, save money by spending more time on things like cleaning and cooking, etc?
    A big part of this calculus is asking: what else could I be doing with my time? If the alternative to more time spent cooking and cleaning is working at a tedious or unpleasant job to earn money to pay for more conveniences, that might not be good deal. If the alternative is a job that covers these expenses and is fulfilling and contributing, then it might be worth it. An important corollary to this is that time is money only if someone is willing to pay you for that time, or you actually save money by spending time on something.

Regarding the worth of things, it is important to consider what can be bought, and what cannot. It may be silly to spend hours mending a blanket, when I can easily afford a new one, but if it is my grandmother's quilt, mending is a must since that cannot be replaced. Similarly, I have sometimes spent even more hours making custom items for my house, not to save money, but because what I want is not available commercially.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    A big part of this calculus is asking: what else could I be doing with my time? If the alternative to more time spent cooking and cleaning is working at a tedious or unpleasant job to earn money to pay for more conveniences, that might not be good deal. If the alternative is a job that covers these expenses and is fulfilling and contributing, then it might be worth it. An important corollary to this is that time is money only if someone is willing to pay you for that time, or you actually save money by spending time on something.

Regarding the worth of things, it is important to consider what can be bought, and what cannot. It may be silly to spend hours mending a blanket, when I can easily afford a new one, but if it is my grandmother's quilt, mending is a must since that cannot be replaced. Similarly, I have sometimes spent even more hours making custom items for my house, not to save money, but because what I want is not available commercially.
    Both good questions to pose. It is all about what is personally better. Clearly a comfy memory foam mattress with a thousand things researched and patented to ensure a high quality of sleep is better than my crappy Ikea mattress. But if I lose hundreds of hours of sleep and rest every year trying to pay for such a thing, was it really worth the cost? And yeah, the quilt example is a great one.. a blanket is cheap, functional, easily replaced, and you save so much of your time replacing it. But is it going to give you joy everyday the way an older blanket that comforted you did?

You really can't buy everything, nor can you just fix and keep everything.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge