User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ojian View Post
    being obscenely rich

Wouldn't that apply to the Catholic church itself?
    Don't forget social injustice :steam: The Roman Catholic Church has been one of the greatest enforcers of social injustice throughout Europe for many centuries!!

Dammit, I was just getting good at the old ones.

polluting the environment No
    social injustice No
    drug dealing Too dangerous
    being obscenely rich Too much work, conflicts with Sloth
    abortion I don't have a uterus
    genetic engineering Not a mad scientist
    pedophilia Eww

The church can eat a bag of dicks.
    (They'd probably enjoy it)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think children (and especially young children) are kinda scary looking, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think children (and especially young children) are kinda scary looking, actually.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    being obscenely rich Too much work, conflicts with Sloth

abortion I don't have a uterus
    genetic engineering Not a mad scientist
    The former could be arranged through the latter...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Actually, that kid might end up being a genius -- read my essay from a while back.

Sniffles

Basically these have been added as mortal sins, nothing more. All this sensationalist nonsense about new deadly sins is just that, sensationalist nonsense.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    The Roman Catholic Church has been one of the greatest enforcers of social injustice throughout Europe for many centuries!!
    Yes and no. The Church has also been at the forefront of social justice movements, even in the modern era. This especially occured following Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum, which help set the stage for the developments of modern Catholic Social Doctrine.

Sniffles

kelric, you admit to not being a Catholic and having little understanding of what the Church teaches, so I'll go easy on you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    "Being rich" is now a sin? I'm not a religious person, but I'd always thought that what one does with one's power was more important than having power. Abuse of great wealth? Willful ignorance of the plights of others who have less? Greed? (oh, wait, that one's been around a while, hasn't it?) Sure, I can see that. But simply being wealthy?
    No simply being wealthy is not a sin. As the list clearly states, it's being "obscenely wealthy" that is. And that arises out of numerous circumstances.

(Isn't the Catholic church pretty wealthy itself?)
    Not as much as many people try to make it out to be. In any case, much of its wealth is spent on numerous endeavors.

Polluting the environment?
    Yes that stems from the basic Christian understanding of man being given stewardship over nature.

Who's going to tell the peasant who's lived in squalor all of his life that the new coal-burning plant's electricity heating his home is a bad thing, worthy of being sent to hell?
    That's not at all what the Church teaches. If a man has to choose between feeding his family and working in a place of sin, then the issue is upon those who choose to employ people in such sinful circumstances, putting them in that situation.

Social injustice has its heart in the right place, but it's pretty vague, too.
    There's a whole area of Catholic doctrine that sets out to identify and define social justice and injustice. It's called Social Doctrine.

As en ex-geneticist I've got a pretty big beef with the "genetic engineering" one. There are certainly issues that need to be considered, but a black and white "genetic engineering will send you to hell" isn't the way to address it (just tell the folks who take bacterially generated human insulin daily, not to mention other medical treatments, that they'd be better off without it).
    Again, you're dealing with a strawman here. Let's take stem cells as an obvious example. So much is made about the Church's opposition to embryonic stem cell research; yet you hardly ever hear that the Church actually supports the use of adult stem cells.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

This is just silly. I love my Catholic posse because they're usually good folk and give the world an occaisonal Aquinas or Lemaitre, but I thought this was a satire as well. I mean cmon:

polluting the environment
    drug dealing
    being obscenely rich
    abortion
    genetic engineering
    pedophilia

All those are just activities one can partake in. And social injustice isn't a sin, it isn't anything. "Social Injustice" is just a phrase of rhetoric that people like journalists use to make it seem like they are writing about something important, hence justifying their paycheck.

Sin is something abstract as was mentioned, and this list has none of it. All of those actions, even pedophilia, are not necessarily sins - it depends on the context. There are cultures in this world where a young virgin bride will first be taken by the biological father before being given to the husband. Technically this is pedophilia as well as incest, but in this scenario I would not call it Lust.

Same with polluting. It's only Sloth if you become aware of polluting the environment and continue on your same course of action.