User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your outlook on mankind?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an NT and believe that people are basically good, but do bad things.

5 23.81%
  • I'm an NT and believe that people are basically bad, but do good things.

3 14.29%
  • I'm an NF and believe that people are basically good, but do bad things.

7 33.33%
  • I'm an NF and believe that people are basically bad, but do good things.

2 9.52%
  • I'm an SJ and believe that people are basically good, but do bad things.

1 4.76%
  • I'm an SJ and believe that people are basically bad, but do good things.

2 9.52%
  • I'm an SP and believe that people are basically good, but do bad things.

0 0%
  • I'm an SP and believe that people are basically bad, but do good things.

1 4.76%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can't pick any of these.

Growing up in conservative Christianity, of course, you're taught that people are inherently evil even if someone does good things.

I think I struggled with that for a long long time, the more experiences with people I had. Yes, people are flawed and imperfect. But inherently evil?

At this point of my life (and I noted this shift in myself in the last 1-2 years as it occurred), I tend to not even think in such general terms of good/evil.

People are flawed creatures. Whether they're inherently good or evil seems to be a philosophical question, not a practical one. Sometimes they make bad decisions because they're selfish at the moment. Sometimes they do it for what seems to be survival to them. And sometimes they make good decisions because it was what they were brought up to do, and other times make good decisions out of pure desire to do the "right thing" as they see it or out of real love for others.

I think I am more interested in the narrative of people's lives and choices at this time in my life -- the entire path, both high points and low points -- and less interested in figuring out how they balance on the scales. It just seems so irrelevant to have to reduce them to "good" or "evil."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ

To answer the OP, I think most people are neutral and do good deeds. Few people are "good" or "bad". Few people do bad deeds.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Whether they're inherently good or evil seems to be a philosophical question, not a practical one.
    'Tis why I put it in the philosophy forum.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm having a revelation. I think that it will end up like this:
    • NF Temperament
      • xNFJs will more likely be pessimists.
      • xNFPs will more likely be optimists.
    • NT Temperament
      • xNTJs will more likely be pessimists.
      • xNTPs will more likely be optimists.
    • SJ Temperament
      • xSTJs will more likely be pessimists.
      • xSFJs will more likely be optimists.
    • SP Temperament
      • xSTPs will more likely be pessimists.
      • xSFPs will more likely be optimists.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm a moral relativist and my type is continuously in question, so I can't answer either part of your poll. I think people have the potential to be unselfish, though. If you call that good, er... great. I like to think I can see the relative goodness in people.

heart on fire

I can't pick from the two options given. I think Evil is ego driven behavior. People can learn to grow beyond the temptations of the ego or they can chose not to learn. Sometimes people are born with less than a full deck of cards and they cannot understand. It is a really complicated subject.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I seem to have forgotten how many P's exist in the world...

People are generally all the same -- is it really that hard?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

People are all the same -- is it really that hard?
    How many P's exist...Meaning?

I definately believe that there are good and evil acts, but I think that baring organic mental illness of some sort, it is a choice each of us makes to express either the bad or the good side of ourself.

People are not all the same.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Peas are divided into two categories: those with edible pods and those without them.

Green Pea, English Pea, and Garden Pea, all fall into the category of the peas with pods not to be eaten. As to specific varieties, most commercial peas are either called garden or English peas.

But, Uber, petit pois are not a variety of peas but merely green peas that have been picked before full maturity. Since they are picked early, they are smaller than normal green peas.

Keep in mind that snap peas look like miniature versions of the green pea pods, except the snap pea pods are edible.

Sugar Snap and Sugar Daddy are the two varieties of snap peas. The Sugar Daddy is actually a cross between the green pea and the snow pea, and is a string-less sugar snap pea. You don't have to necessarily remove the strings form Sugar Snap peas before cooking.

And finally, snow peas used to be seen only in Chinese restaurants, but they're now available almost everywhere. The pale green, edible pods are flat and wide, with the outlines of little peas visible throughout the pod. There are often strings, but again, they need not be removed. Snow peas are also called Sugar Peas, China Peas, and Mangetout, which in France means, "eat it all."

And that, my dear Uber, is how many peas there are in the world.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How many P's exist...Meaning?
    Oh, nothing, that was just my response to the ones who couldn't make up their mind on what to vote for. I was just surprised at how many J's couldn't make up their mind, either. I thought it was a simple enough poll.

(And Octavia Caesar's vote made my hypothesis null and void. Dammit!)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Peas are divided into two categories: those with edible pods and those without them.

Green Pea, English Pea, and Garden Pea, all fall into the category of the peas with pods not to be eaten. As to specific varieties, most commercial peas are either called garden or English peas.

But, Uber, petit pois are not a variety of peas but merely green peas that have been picked before full maturity. Since they are picked early, they are smaller than normal green peas.

Keep in mind that snap peas look like miniature versions of the green pea pods, except the snap pea pods are edible.

Sugar Snap and Sugar Daddy are the two varieties of snap peas. The Sugar Daddy is actually a cross between the green pea and the snow pea, and is a string-less sugar snap pea. You don't have to necessarily remove the strings form Sugar Snap peas before cooking.

And finally, snow peas used to be seen only in Chinese restaurants, but they're now available almost everywhere. The pale green, edible pods are flat and wide, with the outlines of little peas visible throughout the pod. There are often strings, but again, they need not be removed. Snow peas are also called Sugar Peas, China Peas, and Mangetout, which in France means, "eat it all."

And that, my dear Uber, is how many peas there are in the world.
    Speaking of which, I have to P. BRB.