• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Plague

Cyber

MBTI Type
Dork
Has anyone read The Plague by Albert Camus? I am reading it for my Death, Dying and the Meaning of Life class.

I was wondering if the book really made you think about death and dying as well as the parallels the Plague out break in the book has with War.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone but I believe that a lot of the events as well as the deaths have a certain Irony to them. It made me really question my own thoughts on death and mortality as well as the way humans cope with death and dieing.

So what are your views on it? If you have read it.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I read it a while ago. I like Camus and his underlying existentialist philosophy.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I have read it a couple of times.
I have never read it as a book on death, but rather on what "humanity" is, about what is underneath the shiny image we hold, about solidarity, belief, perhaps even religion.
The plague is -indeed- a strong reference to war, rather than to death.
If you like it, I strongly recommend Jose Saramago's "City of the blind", but be warned: fascinating as it is, it will probably depress you.