User Tag List

First 12

If I wanted to be happy, I would have never been religious. Nor do I recommend it.

The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow. [Ecclessiastes 1.18]

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If I wanted to be happy, I would have never been religious. Nor do I recommend it.

The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow. [Ecclessiastes 1.18]

I don't think that's true. Well, it is if "knowledge" means what it usually means. But what knowledge is there in faith?

Religion - including Christianity, is about more than faith. It's a fight. The same underlying thing that provokes Christ provokes Buddha: Suffering. This kind of knowledge doesn't make anyone happy. The difference between those two specifically is that Buddha recommends to not fight it (or rather to not desire, in general). His first "noble truth". Life is suffering. Jesus went another direction: "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." A desire to end suffering and not accept that that is what life has to be. It's an idealogy based in conflict and discontent. A hatred of the lack of perfection in the world. And what were his last words? "My God, why have you forsaken me?" Discontented even with God. And it seems like the harder one fights, and the more exemplary they are, the more suffering they experience. Even Mother Theresa, went as many rounds as anyone could in fighting suffering.. and what does she say?

"If I ever become a Saint -I will surely be one of 'darkness.' I will continually be absent from Heaven -to light the light of those in darkness on earth. For the first time in this 11 years -I have come to love the darkness, for I believe now that it is a part of a very, very small part of Jesus' darkness and pain on earth."

So.. I reiterate that religion is a miserable thing. Not for everyone at least. Anyone who parades around how happy it makes you is missing a larger point on why religions even started.

Smile Poets, Prophets and Priests

Religion is based on the suspension of disbelief like movies, books, art, music and romantic love.

So poets create religion, prophets abuse religion and priests so it to death.