User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default I assert the only thing that I know is this: I perceive existence.

Any other conclusions that I draw from this are ultimately flawed. To assume they aren't is to assume that how I think is in accordance with perfection. It's almost arrogant.

As humans we have developed systems to try to explain things. Religion, Science even what I'm trying to communicate to you...these are things that we have developed in order to make the world an easier place to live in.

While this is useful, some people mistakenly believe that this system is so good that it actually is in accordance to "perfection". Yet it isn't. It can't be. We are flawed...we don't know truth/reality/perfection. The only thing we (I) do know is that "I perceive things to exist".

Given that our perceptions are limited and we perceive things to be true that actually aren't...there is a chance that we don't exist...despite thinking that we do. All we (I) know is that "I perceive myself to exist."

Thought? Comments? Critiques?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I beleive this is the conclusion that Rene Descartes came to concerning what we know; "I think, therefore I am".

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I beleive this is the conclusion that Rene Descartes came to concerning what we know; "I think, therefore I am".
    I think you're right, he did so because he was interested in the principle of refraction, like if you put a twig in water it may appear to be bent because of the angle at which the waters surface interacts with and distorts the image of the twig.

I'm more interested in why people ask these questions and what it matters, unfortunately Descartes was the start of a philosophical trend through Kant, up until Nietzsche which was positively individualistic in its turning away from all other things or persons and simply affirming the self as more real or important than anything else.

Even though Stirner thought he was being original with his philosophy of the ego and attack on other philosophers he was just part of a wider objective trend, I think that's more important than whether or not the theorising can be proven as objectively true.

Holistic thinking and harmonising can a very, very poor second in the legacy of these grand theories.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    All we (I) know is that "I perceive myself to exist."
    Do we perceive ourselves? We perceive something, but most of it is not me. The fact that it is perceived makes it a reality, but it is impossible to know what it is that perceives it. And even when saying this we are bound by the words we use. There is no reason to call it perceiving. It might be that this word doesn't correspond with what is at all. Actually we should not say anything of it. Thundering silence.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Lark
    I think you're right, he did so because he was interested in the principle of refraction, like if you put a twig in water it may appear to be bent because of the angle at which the waters surface interacts with and distorts the image of the twig.

I'm more interested in why people ask these questions and what it matters, unfortunately Descartes was the start of a philosophical trend through Kant, up until Nietzsche which was positively individualistic in its turning away from all other things or persons and simply affirming the self as more real or important than anything else.

Even though Stirner thought he was being original with his philosophy of the ego and attack on other philosophers he was just part of a wider objective trend, I think that's more important than whether or not the theorising can be proven as objectively true.

Holistic thinking and harmonising can a very, very poor second in the legacy of these grand theories.
    Well as I see it, we can't ever be entirely sure that the world that we percieve objectively exists at all, considering that we are trapped within the realm of our subjectivity. But, there is no reason to assume that the external world isn't real, we just can't know 100%. Thus I take a will of assumption as my safeguard, that is I assume that this world that I perceive; real, dream, whatever; this world is my true world, I cannot doubt it because it is the only world that I know of, and that everything within is real to me.

I have a door analogy that basically sums this up:

I suppose an analogy that might describe this better is if I imagine myself in a room with one door, I have always lived in this room and it is the only room that I know of. The door in the room has always been locked and there is no way to open it. Now it is possible that there is another room on the other side of that door. For all I know that other room could be the "real" room, and this one is nothing more than an imitation of it. It could also be possible that there is another room with another door, and another room beyond that etc. It could also be possible that the is nothing behind the door, that it's just part of the wall. But since I can never fully know what is on the other side of the door I can only conclude that the room that I inhabit now is the "real" room, while acknowledging the possibility that there are other rooms beyond this one.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post

I suppose an analogy that might describe this better is if I imagine myself in a room with one door, I have always lived in this room and it is the only room that I know of. The door in the room has always been locked and there is no way to open it. Now it is possible that there is another room on the other side of that door. For all I know that other room could be the "real" room, and this one is nothing more than an imitation of it. It could also be possible that there is another room with another door, and another room beyond that etc. It could also be possible that the is nothing behind the door, that it's just part of the wall. But since I can never fully know what is on the other side of the door I can only conclude that the room that I inhabit now is the "real" room, while acknowledging the possibility that there are other rooms beyond this one.
    You are a philosopher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

Applying the same rationale but backwards, "death cannot exist since I cannot perceive it".

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Applying the same rationale but backwards, "death cannot exist since I cannot perceive it".
    I remember once when I poked a frog with a stick. I perceived death, but I didn't feel it, I won't ever feel it

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I remember once when I poked a frog with a stick. I perceived death, but I didn't feel it, I won't ever feel it
    Darn, should have clarified!

Knew it after posting but decided to leave it:

"My death cannot exist since I cannot perceive it."

But even with the clarification, there are still two challenges available.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

2 + 2 = 4
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...