User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Swearing, cursing, vulgarity, verbal abuse

Do you swear a lot in posts or in person? Are you in a job were you cant or shouldnt? Is it a conscious thing or a habit? Do you have to correct others who speak this way?

I work in a job were I have to do this with young people, a lot of them are from cultural backgrounds were its typical and will tell you that its discriminatory to tell them not to speak that way, I tell them that the words are generally words of hate without any love and repeating them can get your blood boiling before you know it but I've noticed that I almost unconsciously correct others now and its lead to risky situations on occasion.

Anyone got any views?

MBTI
    ENTP

You have to make them stop swearing?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't swear that much and was raised not to. Occasionally, I mutter things like "oh shit!" to myself and am careful not to express these words out loud. I don't use the F-word at all unless I'm in a situation where I'm extremely angry at someone.

I've never heard of the discriminatory angle brought up before. Couldn't you just tell the people something like "That kind of language isn't appropriate in the workplace, any workplace?" That way it's a work related issue, not a culture one.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

ThatGirl

Sometimes I can have a real pody mouth. I think there is an impression or feeling that a cuss word can evoke. Used like any other word, it can communicate a principle.

When working I do not cuss, and have no problem filtering my language. I think it is tacky to be in a public place, and not conscious of your audience. Most of the time, through out the day, a conversation where a cuss word would be appropriately used is not one I would prefer to participate in. The inappropriate use of swearing during these times is trashy.

Like being out to lunch with someone who thinks it is appropriate to cuss at the waiter.

Vs.

A conversation where someone is casually describing an interaction, and choses a swear word to fill in some blanks.

The latter is not a conversation I would take place in during professional time or in mixed company.

If I am angry I will use cuss words to shock someones attention and make them focus. Like you fucking son of a bitch! Followed by explanation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Sometimes I can have a real pody mouth. I think there is an impression or feeling that a cuss word can evoke. Used like any other word, it can communicate an principle.

When working I do not cuss, and have no problem filtering my language. I think it is tacky to be in a public place, and not conscious of your audience. Most of the time, through out the day, a conversation where a cuss word would be appropriately used is not one I would prefer to participate in. The inappropriate use of swearing during these times is trashy.

Like being out to lunch with someone who thinks it is appropriate to cuss at the waiter.

Vs.

A conversation where someone is casually describing an interaction, and choses a swear word to fill in some blanks.

The latter is not a conversation I would take place in during professional time or in mixed company.

If I am angry I will use cuss words to shock someones attention and make them focus. Like you fucking son of a bitch! Followed by explanation.
    Agreed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I swore a lot before a certain member was permabanned.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Agreed.
    Yeah. Same.

I tend to use it for emphasis or as a tool to trigger a particular response from someone / deliver a particular social cue, and otherwise it's just usually driven by situational context.

It's not inappropriate to tell employees/staff what is required on them in their job, as a general "work environmen" thing, and expect them to live by it. Swear words are typically frowned upon in public/professional settings, even if behind the scenes in a private office people can talk however they'd like, and depending on the language used could lead to dismissal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I swear for emphasis, because non-swear words can't always give me the right kind of emphasis. Besides, everyone knows these words, even people who don't speak english probably "feel" what I'm saying to some extent (I hope).

Vague and strong, that is the power of fuck and shit.

it just falls out of my mouth.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Cursing (swearing, salty talk) etc. is just part of our language. I cannot make sense of relegating segments of any language as taboo (ideas sure, but vocabulary?), therefore socially inappropriate. I think that intent and context are critical, and the spirit of the speaker's dialogue should be subject to criticism moreso than the vocabulary itself.

The only thing I object to in its usage is that f-bombs and the like can be such multipurpose words that it can indicate laziness on the speaker's part to express themselves more articulately... I'm a bit of a stickler for clarity, precision (or artful ambiguity pregnant with meaning if the occasion arises)... So, I don't like it when my tongue habitually gets too lazy to sort out the particulars of expression. I am aware, however, that other people are offended by its usage (however nonsensical) and I attempt to curb my use of it in their presence. Frankly, I have bigger battles to fight and more important points to make, so I'd rather bend on this issue to achieve an improved level of connection with them.

Sometimes, life is about compromise. I can live with my compromises^, some cannot. I accept that.

Great question OP.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke