User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Incidentally, what's philosophical or spiritual about this thread?
    Not a fuck of a lot.

PS

For a good look at swearing and what it means (one word in particular), I recommend "Fuck: A Documentary"*. It's available presently on youtube.

*Rated R for offensive language

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJ3iPXQYag"] Here it is[/YouTube]

Also, much shorter but still kind of relevant:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbALbZ9bHFU"]The Folly of Euphemisms[/YOUTUBE]
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I curse pretty often for a woman, but I've noticed that I don't do it nearly as much. It just sort of slips out and I'm not really conscious of it.
    However my SO, generally a really passive sweet guy, as been in the Army for less than a week...Well, before he RARELY said fuck. I mean, maybe like once or twice when really mad one a month. He called me and swear to god, it was like every sentence the f-bomb was dropped. I thought I would find it sexy and like...appealing cause it was something new. I hate it. Men shouldn't cuss around ladies, I've decided. Or at least not often. :x

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Vie View Post
    Men shouldn't cuss around ladies,
    wat?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    wat?
    Seconded. Isn't that, in its most basic form, an indictment of women? Why are women so delicate that profanity is something they can't handle? They can handle potentially violent military or police service. They can handle high-pressure jobs. But profanity is a bridge too far? At best, your preference is YOUR preference, not woman's preference nor special treatment they need afforded to them.

Also, I know a several women who swear quite a lot.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I come from a country where swearing is not considered particularly sinful, and not a subject for public debate (at least not since the 60s). I don't swear a lot, but when I do, I don't care if it's in front of women (!) and children. I remember being told off for swearing a couple of times in school, but I don't think the teacher even mentioned it to my parents. They wouldn't have cared if she did, either. I suppose it's a cultural difference - I don't understand why it's such a big deal in some countries... Makes me think about 'the knights who say Ni' again, I find it almost laughable how hysterical some people are about swearing
    I try to be respectful and nice when abroad - and when swearing on impulse in norwegian, nobody understands it anyway

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I do cuss a lot and it doesn't really bother me much. I find it pretty idiotic for people to be offended by them as swear words are just words... nothing else. And I don't really see how censoring and using substitutes for swear words will make a huge difference because you're still using those words with the same intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you swear a lot in posts or in person? Are you in a job were you cant or shouldnt? Is it a conscious thing or a habit? Do you have to correct others who speak this way?

I work in a job were I have to do this with young people, a lot of them are from cultural backgrounds were its typical and will tell you that its discriminatory to tell them not to speak that way, I tell them that the words are generally words of hate without any love and repeating them can get your blood boiling before you know it but I've noticed that I almost unconsciously correct others now and its lead to risky situations on occasion.

You need to chill the fuck out. I don't really understand what the hell you're getting at with this "cultural background" gobbledygook. No idea at all.

My language can "make a sailor blush". I moderate it as necessary. If I know you well chances are I will drop f-bombs all over the place if I can.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You need to chill the fuck out. I don't really understand what the hell you're getting at with this "cultural background" gobbledygook. No idea at all.

My language can "make a sailor blush". I moderate it as necessary. If I know you well chances are I will drop f-bombs all over the place if I can.
    Here, swearing in public is a class marker. And whether we like it or not class determines our life chances.

Here, our accent is also a class marker. I understand that in the US accent does not delineate class and so Yankees tend to be deaf to the class implications of accent. Of course in the US class is determined primarily by money.

So here swearing in public is not just a personal matter, it is a social matter, and it affects our social standing.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I swear pretty copiously. I have to make an active effort not to when I am speaking with professors, etc.

Oddly, even though my parents were very strict about certain things... They never scolded my brother or I for foul language. So when we were adolescents we started swearing (especially in front of our parents, I think) because we were amused that we could without punishment. So by the time I finished high school it was second nature to me. I rarely notice when I swear.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFP

I swear a lot. It's a habit, I don't even realize i'm doing it 95% of the time. Sometimes I'll be talking to people who I SHOULD NOT swear around, and something will just slip out. I swear a lot more when I'm angry.