• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What to do when life is known to be pointless

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Some of the crap you read here is kind of funny. Anyway, my belief is the universe is without any objective meaning, anything objective that makes it worth living. How do you deal with that? I am a passive nihilist, so you might want to ask an active nihilist instead, but anyhow I have a few thoughts.

I guess one have to stop worry about what is objective, and find things that are subjectively meaningful to you. You know, one doesn't enjoy a record because it is objectively good, but because it gives you something on a subjective level, that isn't too hard to accept. Why should it be any harder to accept meaning also is subjective and not objective?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
When God created the world he gave us freewill.

As you already know, that statement is pretty much impossible to prove or disprove.

But he is asking what to do when life becomes pointless. He is crying out for something, for hope!

My interpretation was that he was asking what we consider to be our purpose if there is no true point to life (Such as ascending to heaven or the like), not so much asking for help/solutions, just wondering what people consider it to be.

Zorpheus

MBTI Type
INTP
What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.

These exact thoughts came to me in the shower as well.
Thats also where I became Atheist.
Some of my most memorable, and significant thoughts occurred to me in the shower.

I live for revenge, btw.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Life is what you want it to be, simply put.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.

I don't know if it is realistic to expect that there would be a higher meaning in life. The evolution says that the meaning is to reproduce in order to ensure the existence of human race. So, that must be the point in life then.
I have done my part thought... ;)

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I get your point but see it as:

Life is what you make it. Choices count even in perspective.

Yeah, choices matter, but it is beliefs that ultimately influence the choices that you make.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
what to do when life is known to be pointless? :huh:

I've always wondered why those who beleive in no higher purpose don't just live thier lives for the sake of thier own pleasure- if you don't beleive that you can get sent to hell or reincarnated as a snail in a salt mine, why bother being good? ;)

Because being "bad" generally causes dissatisfaction in the long run. Happiness maybe, but happiness does not equate with satisfaction. Satisfaction is a completely different feeling than what I feel like after breaking into my alcohol supply.

Plus, there's socially inflicted punishment for breaking certain norms, like prison, which bring neither happiness nor satisfaction.

Of course, my definition of bad might also be different from yours.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP

* why the assumption that existence has to have a meaning anyway?

Perhaps the greatest lesson is humility, that we do not matter as much as we think we do.

Once that realisation sinks in, we get over ourselves as the centre of the world.

Our focus moves beyond self.

Then you start to live.

Just one starfish. ;)

Follow Nietzche's path and you'll arrive at Nietzche's destination.

Surely it isn't always the destination that matters? ;) Only Nietzche can lead Nietzche's life. We can only walk on our own shoes.

Mole

Permabanned
We Are Meaning Creating Animals

We perceive by making distinctions.

And the more distinctions, the more we perceive.

So we are meaning creating animals.

It is not possible for us to peceive anything without meaning.

So the very act of perceiving is replete with meaning.

For us it is impossible for life to be pointless.

However at times it is possible to have feelings of anomie.

Victor.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Follow Nietzche's path and you'll arrive at Nietzche's destination.

Well, to live by Nietzschean ideas are hard, especially when you have been fed with the values of society your whole life. It's just hard to break completely free of that.

But so what if Nietzsche ended up crazy? It wasn't necessarily because of his philosophy at all. He most likely had syphilis, which caused him great physical torment and obviously most likely caused is mental collapse.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Sometimes I feel like my life is pointless and I get depressed and it also happens that I don't believe in suicide and I think its for cowards so killing myself is way out of the question. So I basically look for another goal in my life and try to accomplish it. A lot of times I accomplish them and than I get depressed again and I just repeat the process.

typo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Re: the universe is without any objective meaning

Some of the crap you read here is kind of funny. Anyway, my belief is the universe is without any objective meaning, anything objective that makes it worth living. How do you deal with that?

I agree, Splittet. We make our own meanings, and isn't this a good thing? Imagine how boring life would be if there was just one grand meaning to existence. What would be the fun in that? I like the current world, the earth whipping around the sun at 67,000 mph, and everyone guessing about what's supposed to happen next.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
My natural response was "kick ass!"

Or in other words, do whatever makes you feel AWESOME and fufilled.

Now thats philosophy.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

The point of my life, obviously it is not meant for everyone, but it satisfies me as a human being is "To Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever."

edit: I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP

What makes justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth, or giving others joy and hapiness greater than self preservation? (What makes self preservation so great? Why not commit suicide?) If the truth is that life is pointless, then what point is there to doing any of the above? Even if you derive some satisfaction from pursuing these ends, will that satisfaction last, and how do you know? If you don't know, then will you be willing to continue pursuing those ends in the face of challenges or persecution?

The point of my life, obviously it is not meant for everyone, but it satisfies me as a human being is "To Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever."

edit: I would highly recommend it.

What do you mean it isn't meant for everyone? As a human being, is it possible to find satisfaction apart from the glory of God?