User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    what to do when life is known to be pointless?

I've always wondered why those who beleive in no higher purpose don't just live thier lives for the sake of thier own pleasure- if you don't beleive that you can get sent to hell or reincarnated as a snail in a salt mine, why bother being good?
    Because being "bad" generally causes dissatisfaction in the long run. Happiness maybe, but happiness does not equate with satisfaction. Satisfaction is a completely different feeling than what I feel like after breaking into my alcohol supply.

Plus, there's socially inflicted punishment for breaking certain norms, like prison, which bring neither happiness nor satisfaction.

Of course, my definition of bad might also be different from yours.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Me like. Very Nietzschean perspective
    Follow Nietzche's path and you'll arrive at Nietzche's destination.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.
    * why the assumption that existence has to have a meaning anyway?

Perhaps the greatest lesson is humility, that we do not matter as much as we think we do.

Once that realisation sinks in, we get over ourselves as the centre of the world.

Our focus moves beyond self.

Then you start to live.

Just one starfish.

Surely it isn't always the destination that matters? Only Nietzche can lead Nietzche's life. We can only walk on our own shoes.

Default We Are Meaning Creating Animals

We perceive by making distinctions.

And the more distinctions, the more we perceive.

So we are meaning creating animals.

It is not possible for us to peceive anything without meaning.

So the very act of perceiving is replete with meaning.

For us it is impossible for life to be pointless.

However at times it is possible to have feelings of anomie.

Victor.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, to live by Nietzschean ideas are hard, especially when you have been fed with the values of society your whole life. It's just hard to break completely free of that.

But so what if Nietzsche ended up crazy? It wasn't necessarily because of his philosophy at all. He most likely had syphilis, which caused him great physical torment and obviously most likely caused is mental collapse.

MBTI
    ENFj

Sometimes I feel like my life is pointless and I get depressed and it also happens that I don't believe in suicide and I think its for cowards so killing myself is way out of the question. So I basically look for another goal in my life and try to accomplish it. A lot of times I accomplish them and than I get depressed again and I just repeat the process.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Re: the universe is without any objective meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Some of the crap you read here is kind of funny. Anyway, my belief is the universe is without any objective meaning, anything objective that makes it worth living. How do you deal with that?
    I agree, Splittet. We make our own meanings, and isn't this a good thing? Imagine how boring life would be if there was just one grand meaning to existence. What would be the fun in that? I like the current world, the earth whipping around the sun at 67,000 mph, and everyone guessing about what's supposed to happen next.

MBTI
    infp

My natural response was "kick ass!"

Or in other words, do whatever makes you feel AWESOME and fufilled.

Now thats philosophy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.
    The point of my life, obviously it is not meant for everyone, but it satisfies me as a human being is "To Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever."

edit: I would highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Journey; 03-28-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: stated

MBTI
    INTP

What makes justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth, or giving others joy and hapiness greater than self preservation? (What makes self preservation so great? Why not commit suicide?) If the truth is that life is pointless, then what point is there to doing any of the above? Even if you derive some satisfaction from pursuing these ends, will that satisfaction last, and how do you know? If you don't know, then will you be willing to continue pursuing those ends in the face of challenges or persecution?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The point of my life, obviously it is not meant for everyone, but it satisfies me as a human being is "To Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever."

edit: I would highly recommend it.
    What do you mean it isn't meant for everyone? As a human being, is it possible to find satisfaction apart from the glory of God?