User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Well, I agree, teasing or not, so your refute is pointless!

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.
    Once you have come to that conclusion, it is thenceforth inescapable. It leads inexorably to nihilism.

In short, you're screwed. The only way out is to re-examine your premise.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    In response to the title thread:

Deny reality.

You build one of your own.

Justice, equality, freedom, love, whatever. After all, if life really has no meaning, what's to stop us from creating one of our own?

Perhaps that's why life was born pointless. So that we may create our own point and meaning.
    Me like. Very Nietzschean perspective

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post

Justice, equality, freedom, love, whatever. After all, if life really has no meaning, what's to stop us from creating one of our own?
    S's

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.
    I don't, I just keep living like I normally did. Which is to say, working towards the goal of my eventual satisfaction with my life. Now I would probably be a lot more satisfied if I were able to achieve a balance of both maintaining own happiness and contributing to the happiness of at least a few other people as well, but I will always come first. No, I don't think that this is wrong or selfish, because it's only natural for people to put their own happiness in the top priority. Don't be confused and think that people who get what they want out of life by being "evil" (not in the supernatural sense) are truly happy. Generally speaking, they are actually hateful, and they can only know short bursts of happiness such as what is given by drugs. And like drugs, they have to keep ramping it higher and higher and higher. This isn't desirable. What I see as desirable is living naturally, which for me (as I mentioned above) is primarily being able to be satisfied with myself as I am, and then drawing additional satisfaction out of the other people who's lives I may contribute to in the process.

MBTI
    ISTP

You seem to have figured it out. My idea is the same, I live to do whatever makes me happy without hurting other people. I don't expect anything after death, so I intend to live as I want, not what I'm told is the correct way to do things.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

DO NOT WANT

I'll stick with nihilistic hedonism.

MBTI
    istp

i am confused as to what basis this discussion continues on.

look at any person's life... the "purposes" (or point) that it served are vast both in variety and depth of impact... note the lack of singularity. why must there be a single "point" anyways... "the point of my life is to do this"?

the only commonality between the lifetime of everyone who has ever lived is that they lived, so if you want to boil it down, the only true purpose of life is to live. if you do not want to live, then end your life. how you want to live is up to you... you will most likely have about 60-80 years, consisting of many 24 hour days.

compare it to painting. if you are placed in front of an easel and told to paint something, you can either refuse to paint, or paint something. why ask "what should I paint?!"... when everyone else is painting what they choose, else you are ignoring your freedom to make that decision yourself. why ask "why am I painting?!"... considering that you probably enjoy painting and by asking you are wasting time that could be spent painting. with that said, don't fling paint at other painters, keep it on your canvas, then paint whatever the fuck you want...

everyone who has ever lived and ever will live has the choice of what to do with their life. your life is your chance to define what living means to you. keep that in mind.