User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless?
    Look for a pencil sharpener?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Look for a pencil sharpener?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    What I didn't say that my #1 thing to do after wishing for death was to notice the merit of pleasurable emotions, that is, indulgence.
    That lasts for a little while. Until the experience becomes old hat. Then you need to find a new one to create the same level of pleasure.

And eventually, once you get used to THAT pattern, you see it goes nowhere too. (Well, at least I did.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm...like Fineline brought up, I do think it depends on ones personality in terms of how one navigates this issue and the route one ultimately takes.

This issue (the pointlessness) was one of the factors for why I was in an existential/depressive slump several years ago, that took me a couple years to sort through. I ended up coming to a similar conclusion as Night -- just embracing it, and accepting it. And recognizing that I can create and do whatever I please, whenever I need to make changes. Who I am today doesn't have to be who I am tomorrow, and what I pursue today might not be what I pursue tomorrow. So for myself I think I realized a master plan wasn't going to work.

It did take quite a bit of time for me to reach that point, though. It wasn't an overnight process.

Edit: And ironically, life has become more meaningful and precious for me now that I have accepted the pointlessness. So my accepting the pointlessness has made things seem and become much less pointless....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? .
    Existence is not pointless.

The reason for existence is that we Find and Know the One God- The ONE TRUE REALITY. God says "I was a hidden treasure wanting to be discovered, so I created Creation".

He did not create everything in vain. There is a purpose.

The Golden Sufi Center - Anima Mundi

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Existence is not pointless.

The reason for existence is that we Find and Know the One God- The ONE TRUE REALITY. God says "I was a hidden treasure wanting to be discovered, so I created Creation".

He did not create everything in vain. There is a purpose.

The Golden Sufi Center - Anima Mundi

And for those who don't believe in god? or in my case, don't really care either way as to if there is a god or not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    Zzzz

I don't know if I've ever thought of my life as being entirely pointless. I've certaintly thought of it as destructive as well as creative. Sometimes it's just nothing or startling when I "catch" myself in a strange moment ("I exist! Whoa!!"). Even when occassionaly upset/sad as a child, I might've immediately thought my life pointless and that it should've ended or never began. That never lasted, though. People who know me intimately, really two people, question me sometimes that I could be so elastic and that I didn't break myself or escaped. Maybe I found a better escape in my mind or through others or through Nature. No clue, silly kid that I was!

But someone/s made a point in creating my life, whether or not they value me for it or if I choose to value myself or my life. I don't find life pointless or created so. The point may've been trivial or angry or spiritual or hopeful to begin with. Eh. People began giving us meangings or meaning something to us as soon as they were aware of our existence (even in the womb). To each parental branch their own childlike-ish leaves, and hopefully the wind can blow us away... Again, on being depressed or whenever it should happen for me, I've always found it useful for the future, for self-reflection and reflection on others or ideas. I create meanings while I'm rooted in pain, whether it's wanting to create something better for myself or for others. I'm not entirely sure why but I enjoy it too, even while it's happening. I think once that happens, I move out of it quicker or into it deeper. Err. I also think I can find meaning in the smallest of objects, a dot on the wall, anything can snap me out of a mood and a new one is created.

Sometimes I peel them all away and just live silently (rather like elfie's Buddhist mentality ). It can last moments, it can be random, or it can last a long time when I choose to meditate. I may have dissociated from the world and all I can find outside but I then begin living within. It's an entirely different living. And it can sparkle or just stop or I think it stops!

Really, I don't really find life pointless if one keeps on existing. People make points of doing things to ensure they're living and keep on living, even if they view their life as ultimately pointless. Why do anything then? Even to sulk, even laying still, you're still doing something. It just feels like nothing. I guess life can be an illusion and we in turn can become deluded... It's just your value of what life means to you has changed when you view it as pointless, but it's still a worth as you're still existing. Even when we die, we meant something to someone/s-- or maybe even the sum of our life was seen as something unique to us as it was going, even if we define it as pointless in the end. We are points, even if others view/ed our lives as pointless. Maybe people don't craft meanings or view them the same way as I do or another does, but that's all subjective junk anyway. So, uh, the capability for making life mean something or finding it pointless (positively or negatively or neutral) will depend on the individual..

Now I shall chew on my tongue.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And for those who don't believe in god? or in my case, don't really care either way as to if there is a god or not?
    Ones belief or disbelief in something does not change the Reality, the Truth.

You not believing will only lead you to be in darkness, wandering between the valleys of confusion. Lucky if for short time, unlucky if till your death. At death, we shall soon come to know the Reality. Then it would be too late!!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Ones belief or disbelief in something does not change the Reality, the Truth.

You not believing will only lead you to be in darkness, wandering between the valleys of confusion. Lucky if for short time, unlucky if till your death. At death, we shall soon come to know the Reality. Then it would be too late!!

Yes... and again, what makes you SO convinced that your handle on the truth is the correct one?

That's the issue here. Not whether or not there IS a truth.

And the whole bit about being punished once you know the answer... How silly. You'd think Truth would understand the limitations of our knowledge and not condemn us to various holding vats in the afterlife based on our ignorance; it would want us to make an informed decision.

Hence... I'm glad you're happy and that you experience purpose in your life. That's a good feeling. I'm glad this belief works for you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

There are a lot of different things you can do when you have come to the conclusion that life is pointless, I'd think.

You could kill yourself.
    You could embrace it and live a live of nihilistic hedonism.
    You could look for a point.
    You could make up a point.
    You could mope.
    Probably there are many other things you can do.

I think it's best to mope a little, then look for a point. If you can't find one, make one up, but do not forget to sprinkle in a little bit of nihilistic hedonism because what fun is it without that?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers