User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned

To me it looks like you have presented things that are to be taken as true and then extrapolated other truths from the original "truths".

But I don't get what makes the original "truths" true in the first place? If I am to blindly trust that these truths are in fact "true" then why should I pick this over orthodox religion? Because it works better?

A bit of a tangent...an objective purpose in life is unknowable. We can choose to give our own individual lives some meaning but I personally would rather live a meaningless life (and keep a look out for a possible "objective" purpose) than live a life that is essentially a lie because it's easier. I think that's weak.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    To me it looks like you have presented things that are to be taken as true and then extrapolated other truths from the original "truths".

But I don't get what makes the original "truths" true in the first place? If I am to blindly trust that these truths are in fact "true" then why should I pick this over orthodox religion? Because it works better?

A bit of a tangent...an objective purpose in life is unknowable. We can choose to give our own individual lives some meaning but I personally would rather live a meaningless life (and keep a look out for a possible "objective" purpose) than live a life that is essentially a lie because it's easier. I think that's weak.
    Well that's essentially the athiest-existentialist perspective which to me is part of the western tradition of philosophy, I've highlighted the portion of your post which I think makes sense but I would suggest that you could discover as the "possible 'objective' purpose" the religious message which the OP outlined, and that discovering that and maintaining instead a meaningless athiest perspective is weak.

Why this an not orthodoxy? Well that's a question which I believe any individual has to answer for themselves, personally I believe that orthodoxy and religious tradition is about more than simply spiritual insight and providing clues as to the purpose of life, its about transmitting generational learning from one generation to another, I think that some of the schisms within Christendom can be explained by congregations believing that the spiritual and purposeful aspects were eclipsed by orthodoxy and tradition or those things became obsticles.

My own feeling is that orthodoxy can only really behave as a spring board to people motivated to think about these things and focus on their development.

ThatGirl

Just because we are able to create the cognitive idea for 'meaning' doesn't mean there is a purpose. The universe is a lot larger than any of our contributions are going to make in the long run. In the end it is only about the contributions you make to those who are affected by the existence you lived. That is the purpose of life.

To learn.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Do you believe all that, Eric B?
    I struggle with it. The entire "faith" in general, basically.

Looking at it typologically, I have come to realize that when my primary perceptive perspective is one where things are tentative, (i.e. Ne) then I generally "try on" abstract ideas to see if ithey fit or work. So I can intuitively "try on" the faith, or this particular idea about it, but I will need concrete evidence in order to be more sure. (Part of this seems to be the Se "Trickster" complex that tries to turn the tables when the ego feels double-bound). Else, it feels like a "possibility" that I cannot verify; just a nice idea, hypothesis, theory, and it is hard for it to draw my full emotional investment (as it does for more fervently "religious" people).

But for now, this does seem to explain things in a logical coherent fashion. I had come out of a typical evangelical environment that basically claims the purpose of life now is for us to "win" the world to "salvation", and yet, I could not prove it to anyone, especially with all my own doubts, and it seemed counterproductive, if so many were still ending up "lost" anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post

Yes, this basically takes for granted the given "truths" of a Biblical world-view. It just differs on some of the the interpretations of it. It was really written for those who already believe in the Bible, and I weighed whether to share here, but then, because I do reference it in the Archetypes of the Functions thread (as it helped me articulate something I realized about the ego and the shadow), and I figured it might interest some, since some here do seem to have a biblical or at least theistic perspective.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas