User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your feelings about right and wrong?

I'm righteous law giver, you're all going to have a bad day when God gets here.

4w5 sp/sx

I have faith that God will treat me humanely.

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

pfff god, besides i go by if it prevents a larger population being harmed than it's ok.
    by @magpie

"Morals — all correct moral laws — derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level." - Robert Heinlein
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Using binary anything is only good for computers.

But there is a Right and a less right, and a Wrong and a less wrong.
    a cat is fine too

Senior Member Array

No action is inherently right or wrong. It depends on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Is everything concrete? or is it fluid? can something be right in one situation, but that same thing wrong in another?
    Some things are concrete. Some things are fluid.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Permabanned Array

I wrote this a couple days ago but I never bothered to post it because I didn't think it was complete. Also, these are my thoughts on the subject. My conclusions give me feelings of sadness, anger and apathy.

Rightness or wrongness aren't concepts that humans are able to understand...but we are still driven to try to. We inevitably fail. I would argue what most people think of as "right" is really just "consistent" within a model that they have chosen to be the standard. There is very little conflict when the standard system is based off of universal perceptions (hence science) but when a model is based off of personal experience or opinion then a lot of conflict tends to occur.

I think that there are 3 types of rightness/wrongness.

a) Rightness/Wrongness that is in fact right/wrong. This level is not accessible to humans. We try (through science, religion etc) to achieve this level..but to my knowledge not one person has ever succeeded. ( I would argue that achieving this level is synonymous with things like finding god or your purpose in life..)

b) Rightness/Wrongness that is based on universal perception or universally agreed upon truths. This level is what most people think is the first level of rightness and recently it has become the standard level of judging rightness or wrongness (think why the sky is blue, or why 1+1=2) these truths are simply defined truths that we have all agreed upon. We can then work from this framework to and find out more truths within the system.

c) Rightness/Wrongness that is based upon personal experience (perceptions). This level is right/wrong for the individual. Conflict tends to arise when a significant amount of people have the same experience. This level tries to force itself to go up one level where it doesn't belong. Think (democracy, religion, etc).