User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Scientology

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Scientology

Anyone involved/formerly involved? One of my closest friends is really getting into it (like, not drinking for "auditing," giving them small amounts of money for things). Most things online are propaganda one way or the other.

P.S. We need a one-word nickname for posters here, the way FreeRepublic has "freepers." "Meebers" doesn't sound good to me. "Typos?"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

No thanks, I'll take atheism.

One of the funniest things I saw on my trip to Silicon Valley last week was a "DIANETICS & SCIENTOLOGY LIFE IMPROVEMENT CENTER" shop along Castro St. in Mountain View. The scary part is there actually were people in there during the evening, from what I could see through the windows. Rather square people dressed all neat standing at podiums with their arms crossed in front looking down reading something with a few folks sitting there staring at them mesmerized. Freaky.

MBTI
    GONE

Is your friend troubled or at a transitory phase in their life?

Scientology on the surface can seem helpful. When you need guidance, any self-help mumbo jumbo can honestly help you -- a lot of it is based superficially on terms and premises that psychology covers. Kind of how fad diets base their claims loosely on established medical knowledge or published studies. And then spins it out of control.

The funny thing with Scientology is that they HATE psychologists -- and no wonder because psychology as a profession probably debunks the helll out of Scientology.

I am not a nihilist or an atheist, I think people bash relligion way too much, especially having no personal experience with it, almost out of a juvenile need to beat sacred cows. If I don't believe it myself, I leave it alone and I have no inherent beef with religion.

But, Scientology is NOT a religion!!!

It's a scam! Feel free to throw rocks.

If they would just admit they are a new age 'consciousness raising' group and leave it at that, I wouldn't have much interest in them. There are lots of similar groups springing from the same 1 or 2 transpersonal mumbo jumo gurus from the 70s. One is Est. The other is Foundation. I also think most people
    who follow Scientology are tools to be honest.

I worked with a Scientologist once. She was definitely a tool. I can understand why she was looking so badly for 'something' that would make her better. I've attended Scientology 101, bought and read the books, watched the movie, spoken to a counselor, been audited (it's a lie detector test, just monitors your physical/electrical response to things). I've also gotten approached by 'Jews for Jesus' and people handing out copies of the Bhagavada Gita. I think I look like a con man's dream.

Again, I know I sound way judgemental, and probably like the anti-religious people who accuse Christians of being 'mindless sheep'. Maybe I'm not verbalizing well, I actually do respect religion for what it is, but Scientology is NOT a religion! And the fact it pretends to be (it's for the tax breaks people, religious institutions in the US are tax exempt) or others are presumptuous and gullible enough to call it their religion and equate it Buddhism or Islam or Chrisitianty pisses me off. It seems very disrespectful and ignorant of actual religion. Like people who rock Kabbalah tattoos :rolli:

Honestly, if my friend started getting initially involved, I would try to point them to other things. Like I said, on the surface Scientology might seem like "it works" but it uses stuff based on traditional psychology (though they would never admit it) and new age consciousness raising movements. If they like the back and forth and introspeective nature of Scientology, find a trusted therapist, join a Buddhist group, or try out a Quaker meeting. Seriously.

There is a way too much kool-aid and not a small amount of deception associated with Scientology and I would seriously not want my friends too involved with them. My feeling is that they lure you in with superficial trappings and then hook you with the 'real' meat of Scientology.

Then again, maybe I'm just a hater.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Ridiculous cult.

Normally I don't give a crap what other people believe, but their antagonism towards modern medicine is potentially harmful to their members. And they make you pay inordinate amounts of money to progress through their bridge to total freedom.

Plus, if you show the slightest bit of antipathy towards your friend's religion, you'll be disconnected and never see them again. They do this to family members too.

If you want to piss them off, ask why there's a picture of an exploding volcano on the cover of Dianetics.

I'd encourage your friend to stay away, personally.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

After I saw Battlefield Earth, I have resisted it at all costs.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Also, stuff like this pisses me off to no ends:

"[Jenna Elfman] refused to attend a celebrity autograph fund raiser for children with AIDS because, 'AIDS is a state of mind, not a disease', due to Scientology's slant on disease control."
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    OMNi

If you have seen one organized religion, you have seen them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Ridiculous cult.

Normally I don't give a crap what other people believe, but their antagonism towards modern medicine is potentially harmful to their members. And they make you pay inordinate amounts of money to progress through their bridge to total freedom.

Plus, if you show the slightest bit of antipathy towards your friend's religion, you'll be disconnected and never see them again. They do this to family members too.

If you want to piss them off, ask why there's a picture of an exploding volcano on the cover of Dianetics.

I'd encourage your friend to stay away, personally.
    Way too willful a guy to listen. I do ask questions and I am generally skeptical, but he is not the soft-headed type. I think that one of the main reasons for his interest was that so many people badmouth Scientology. He is determined to find out for himself. I told him to watch his wallet and to remain a skeptic in general, but if he is enjoying himself, I don't feel that it would be right to pooh-pooh that (and I don't know a tremendous amount myself, nothing firsthand but an e-meter reading when I was in Hollywood).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Is your friend troubled or at a transitory phase in their life?

Scientology on the surface can seem helpful. When you need guidance, any self-help mumbo jumbo can honestly help you -- a lot of it is based superficially on terms and premises that psychology covers. Kind of how fad diets base their claims loosely on established medical knowledge or published studies. And then spins it out of control.

The funny thing with Scientology is that they HATE psychologists -- and no wonder because psychology as a profession probably debunks the helll out of Scientology.

I am not a nihilist or an atheist, I think people bash relligion way too much, especially having no personal experience with it, almost out of a juvenile need to beat sacred cows. If I don't believe it myself, I leave it alone and I have no inherent beef with religion.

But, Scientology is NOT a religion!!!

It's a scam! Feel free to throw rocks.

If they would just admit they are a new age 'consciousness raising' group and leave it at that, I wouldn't have much interest in them. There are lots of similar groups springing from the same 1 or 2 transpersonal mumbo jumo gurus from the 70s. One is Est. The other is Foundation. I also think most people
    who follow Scientology are tools to be honest.

I worked with a Scientologist once. She was definitely a tool. I can understand why she was looking so badly for 'something' that would make her better. I've attended Scientology 101, bought and read the books, watched the movie, spoken to a counselor, been audited (it's a lie detector test, just monitors your physical/electrical response to things). I've also gotten approached by 'Jews for Jesus' and people handing out copies of the Bhagavada Gita. I think I look like a con man's dream.

Again, I know I sound way judgemental, and probably like the anti-religious people who accuse Christians of being 'mindless sheep'. Maybe I'm not verbalizing well, I actually do respect religion for what it is, but Scientology is NOT a religion! And the fact it pretends to be (it's for the tax breaks people, religious institutions in the US are tax exempt) or others are presumptuous and gullible enough to call it their religion and equate it Buddhism or Islam or Chrisitianty pisses me off. It seems very disrespectful and ignorant of actual religion. Like people who rock Kabbalah tattoos :rolli:

Honestly, if my friend started getting initially involved, I would try to point them to other things. Like I said, on the surface Scientology might seem like "it works" but it uses stuff based on traditional psychology (though they would never admit it) and new age consciousness raising movements. If they like the back and forth and introspeective nature of Scientology, find a trusted therapist, join a Buddhist group, or try out a Quaker meeting. Seriously.

There is a way too much kool-aid and not a small amount of deception associated with Scientology and I would seriously not want my friends too involved with them. My feeling is that they lure you in with superficial trappings and then hook you with the 'real' meat of Scientology.

Then again, maybe I'm just a hater.
    I've had a fair amount of involvement with them in a professional capacity here in the UK. Not something I bought into as a result - the people creeped me out, quite frankly.

Previously they didn't have exempt tax status in the UK, but it looks like that might chance.

Scientologists set to cash in on tax break -Times Online

Can't say I'd give them an exemption as a charity... every penny they make should be taxed, in my opinion.