First 34567 Last

Thread: Scientology

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    MBTI was not founded to separate people into 16 personality "subdivisions" and scold them for venturing outside of their narrow cul de sacs, but some fanatical adherents seem to live in that reality box. I didn't limit fanatical adherents to MBTI, I only said that some people are fanatical adherents to a certain cult-like derivative of MBTI. I wouldn't MBTI psychology any more than I'd call a measuring cup cooking.

The cat meows, the cow moos. the cat meows, the cow moos.
    But the existence of such extremists is not the fault of or central to MBTI itself. So there's not enough justification to call MBTI a cult. Same deal for cults and America.

My original point is that comparing Scientology with MBTI, and then with America, as all being cultic, is unacceptable and innaccurate comparison.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    But the existence of such extremists is not the fault of or central to MBTI itself. So there's not enough justification to call MBTI a cult. Same deal for cults and America.

My original point is that comparing Scientology with MBTI, and then with America, as all being cultic, is unacceptable and innaccurate comparison.
    I don't think anyone called MBTI a cult. Sociologists have attempted to divide spiritual organizations into groups: cult, denominations, etc. Scientology is considered by some to be a cult or a sect and, by others, to be a religion. Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and all of the apostate variations of these religions, were at one time considered cults or sects by older more established religions. I think that if some people were to research cult they may be surprised that most cults are not full of blood-thirsty vampire, baby-sacrificing brain washers. I would say, oversimplificatedly(just made it up, not necessarily incorrect), that most cults and religions have only the brainwashing part in common.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

^Victor called MBTI an American cult. He then proceeded to label America as the land of cults as wealthy businesses.

I agree that the cult/religion issue is not that simple; however, I don't think brainwashing is a common element between cult and religion. It is more exclusive to cults.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ

I just want to go on record here and say that if any of you said anything disparaging about Myers Briggs to me in person... I would throw acid in your face.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Default Welcome Home

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    We should make Australia a 51st state, so we can shake people using false prophets.
    My father used to say Australia should become the 51st State, so I took it seriously until I looked at our respective histories.

And although we were both founded by the explosion of literacy, we were founded more than 200 years apart under very different ascendancies - yours the Royal and religious ascendancy, and us under the Aristocratic and Enlightenment ascendancy. And considering we are both New World, we have taken surprisingly different paths.

And although we were founded by the explosion of literacy on the opposite sites of the Earth, we are now being drawn together by the implosion of the electronic media such as the one we are using now.

The dynamite of literacy exploded us apart, about as far as we could be physically apart. And now the electronic internet is imploding us together. And from being as far apart as possible we are as close as our bedroom computer.

Literacy dispersed us to the four corners of the world, and the electronic internet returns us to our bedrooms.

So let me introduce you to my teddy bear. His name is Paddy O'Flaherty. He is a wise old bear. And as he looked up from his Facebook, "Oh", he said, "You've been off reading books, have you? And now you've come home with the internet? Welcome home".

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I just want to go on record here and say that if any of you said anything disparaging about Myers Briggs to me in person... I would throw acid in your face.
    Edgar: Friend of hippies, wrecker of faces.
    Everyone is a case study.

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    ^Victor called MBTI an American cult. He then proceeded to label America as the land of cults as wealthy businesses.

I agree that the cult/religion issue is not that simple; however, I don't think brainwashing is a common element between cult and religion. It is more exclusive to cults.

well....how do victor's comments make you feel?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    My father used to say Australia should become the 51st State, so I took it seriously until I looked at our respective histories.

And although we were both founded by the explosion of literacy, we were founded more than 200 years apart under very different ascendancies - yours the Royal and religious ascendancy, and us under the Aristocratic and Enlightenment ascendancy. And considering we are both New World, we have taken surprisingly different paths.

And although we were founded by the explosion of literacy on the opposite sites of the Earth, we are now being drawn together by the implosion of the electronic media such as the one we are using now.

The dynamite of literacy exploded us apart, about as far as we could be physically apart. And now the electronic internet is imploding us together. And from being as far apart as possible we are as close as our bedroom computer.

Literacy dispersed us to the four corners of the world, and the electronic internet returns us to our bedrooms.

So let me introduce you to my teddy bear. His name is Paddy O'Flaherty. He is a wise old bear. And as he looked up from his Facebook, "Oh", he said, "You've been off reading books, have you? And now you've come home with the internet? Welcome home".
    Your verbs are exploding in my ear.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    well....how do victor's comments make you feel?
    I'm not sure whether you are serious about that question.

I didn't really have an emotional reaction to it, I just think it is clearly incorrect. It's bad comparison that may have led others astray.
    Johari Nohari

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Scientology = judicially allowed cult