User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Scientology

  1. #31
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Scientology is an American cult started by a science fiction writer. It is not unlike MBTI which is also an American cult based not on science but fiction.

    It is important to remember that America is the land of cults run as wealthy businesses. And MBTI is as American as apple pie.

    Indeed MBTI is an American cult run as a business. In America MBTI is a registered business trademark. And if you in anyway use their business trademark, they will take you to Court and seek monetary damages.

    The reason this site is not called MBTI Central is because the MBTI business threatened to take us to Court and claim monetary damages.

    MBTI is not a benign personality test it is a threatening business cult, not unlike Scientology.

    Scientology, for instance, has its bogus E-meter while MBTI has its bogus personality test.

    And the purpose of the E-meter and the personality test is to distract your mind and put you in a trance where you are susceptible to suggestion.

  2. #32
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    I can tell you from direct experience that MBTI is not as American as apple pie. Most Americans don't even know what MBTI is. Nor is it a cult. That America is the land of cults run as wealthy businesses is a rather dubious and unsubstantiated claim. And scientology is actually very unlike MBTI. And I really doubt MBTI is a threatening business cult, whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

    Is this the objective view of America?
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Mayhap I'm being a bit literal here.. but this religion doesn't seem very scientific at all. I think the name should be changed a bit, it's misleading...
    The cult of Christian Science started by Mary Baker Eddy and the cult of Scientology started by a science fiction writer both use the word science in their name.

    Science has vast and permanent status in our society so Mary and Ron borrowed the name of science to give their cult a bogus status.

    And it worked.

    America is the land of bogus wealthy cults. Everyone is entitled to their dream. But all these dreams ever boil down to is wealth.

    And it is a wonderful system because wealth, they tell us, is proof of God's grace.

  4. #34
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    ^Surely you don't think that picture is a true and accurate representation of American society.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  5. #35
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    The US was founded as a place for the religious undesirables to flee to. Australia was founded as a place for the social undesirables to be stored.

    So while we are praying to false prophets, you are shaking people.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #36
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The US was founded as a place for the religious undesirables to flee to. Australia was founded as a place for the social undesirables to be stored.

    So while we are praying to false prophets, you are shaking people.
    We should make Australia a 51st state, so we can shake people using false prophets.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  7. #37
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    There's a great deal I'd like to say about Scientology, but I'm afraid I won't be able to, as they'd sue me for copyright infringement or something.

    I'll say a little bit, anyway.

    The thing that strikes me the most about Scientology is that while they're extremely capable propagandists over their own members, they don't have the slightest clue when it comes to public relations. They take interview after interview, and whenever they're asked an uncomfortable question, they either beat around the bush, which is a tacit admission that they're hiding something, or they outright lie. I don't understand it. Why can't they just say that they're not willing to answer the question? It's the difference between coming off as truthful and secure, and dishonest and afraid.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

  8. #38
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Nor is it a cult. That America is the land of cults run as wealthy businesses is a rather dubious and unsubstantiated claim.

    MBTI is somewhat cult/religion-like. There's the overzealous followers, the pop-psychology books, the dogma, etc. Anyone who questions the MBTI is treated like a 15th century heretic.

    America is definitely A land of cults/new religions/fake religions and is the birthplace of "Mormonism", "Scientology", "Christian Science", "Jehovah's Witnesses", various pagan, occult, new age synthetic and neo-hermetic orders were founded and/or flourished here for the first half of the last two centuries, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc ,etc lalkdfj;df;adf.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  9. #39
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    MBTI is somewhat cult/religion-like. There's the overzealous followers, the pop-psychology books, the dogma, etc. Anyone who questions the MBTI is treated like a 15th century heretic.

    America is definitely A land of cults/new religions/fake religions and is the birthplace of "Mormonism", "Scientology", "Christian Science", "Jehovah's Witnesses", various pagan, occult, new age synthetic and neo-hermetic orders were founded and/or flourished here for the first half of the last two centuries, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc ,etc lalkdfj;df;adf.
    MBTI was not founded to be authoritarian and exploitive of people, nor is it. So while there may be fanatical adherents to MBTI psychology, there are also fanatics for just about anything else. Look at fans for local sports teams.

    America was attractive to religious undesirables and was (and is) conducive to founding new religions because of its religious toleration. Moreover, all of those groups combined would still be a small minority of Americans. So any presence of cults and pagans or whatever is an effect of what America really is, not a priority or raison d'etre.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  10. #40
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    MBTI was not founded to be authoritarian and exploitive of people, nor is it. So while there may be fanatical adherents to MBTI psychology, there are also fanatics for just about anything else. Look at fans for local sports teams.
    MBTI was not founded to separate people into 16 personality "subdivisions" and scold them for venturing outside of their narrow cul de sacs, but some fanatical adherents seem to live in that reality box. I didn't limit fanatical adherents to MBTI, I only said that some people are fanatical adherents to a certain cult-like derivative of MBTI. I wouldn't MBTI psychology any more than I'd call a measuring cup cooking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    America was attractive to religious undesirables and was (and is) conducive to founding new religions because of its religious toleration. Moreover, all of those groups combined would still be a small minority of Americans. So any presence of cults and pagans or whatever is an effect of what America really is, not a priority or raison d'etre.
    The cat meows, the cow moos. the cat meows, the cow moos.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


Similar Threads

  1. Psychiatry Vs. Scientology?
    By Ming in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
  2. Creepy YTMND Scientology Video
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO