User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    Promiscuity as method of coping with low self-esteem? Hm. Perhaps this isn't the best alternative to building up ones self-image in a healthy way.
    I'm a man and I know that I've suffered on occasion from feeling unable, even with my best efforts, to conform to any standard of physical health or atheleticism, its bound to be a lot worse for women because the female form is society's muse, heterosexual men predominating and women sharing some of their standards and obsessions or definitions of female beauty.

However I've never considered something like this I would consider compounding the problem, I do take some consolations from traditional admonitions of pride or modesty, or in another cultural context, the buddhist one, non-attachment or non-striving.

Although I do know that my understand of these things may be different and not shared by others, its all a matter of experience and perspective, others could and I'm sure do see those views as wholey a product of an uptight or repressive authoritarian and guilt tripping order good for nothing other than producing neurotics, and perhaps they'd not be completely wrong, but its a different way to the way I understand it all.

I don't have always have a good sense of "body confidence".. not just in appearance, but kind of in general. There's just something off.. like I'm on stilts sometimes.. where I'm not as grounded or smooth or comfortable in my skin like a lot of people are. I get complimented, so I think I just sort of compensate by taking people's word for it, and having a good self-image in some psychological way. But never really outright so confident that I could flaunt or something. Sounds beneath me anyways.

I'm also probably a little warped from growing up as an Asian guy in a southern US Caucasian society. I'm not going to get all Malcolm X right now, but there are a lot of subtle things that kind of have stung over the years. Even though I'm half-white, a lot of little "standards" for me aren't even part of my genetic makeup (chiseled jaws and such). Don't get me wrong, I'm not hung about it.. but I'm well aware of growing up and not matching up to a lot of "standards".. little moments before going to school or something, staring at myself in the mirror, wondering why I can't make certain things "work". Maybe a lot of people go through that though.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Feeling good about yourself is essential to your well-being and a ton of women out there suffer from immense shame and desperation for not meeting the ideal standard. Also..for the men, look at it this way...a woman who's ashamed of her body is way less likely to enjoy sex or want to have sex often due to inhibitions of having to get naked..aka not getting relaxed, not getting in the mood, and basically depriving herself as well as the man who loves her (and trust me, no matter what he says, that self-consciousness aint going nowhere).

Now, if reframing your body to show it at its best, through these pictures, helps them to see their body literally in a different light and to feel some semblance of pride in who they are, I say good riddance to modesty. To hell with it. For realz. If that is what gets them to start feeling like they deserve to take care of themselves, honor their body, take care of it properly and enjoy it for what it was build, I say, modesty seriously is overrated.
    I like this. I am pretty modest but I would like to have something like this done for myself. It would be great to focus on the positive things--it's hard to do. Besides this would be for my own use only.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    @Metaphor,

Perhaps you should ask yourself why religion includes modesty within its doctrine at all.
    Perhaps you need to ask yourself the same question. Servitude requires modesty and humility. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Perhaps you need to ask yourself the same question. Servitude requires modesty and humility. Think about it.

MBTI
    INTj

There is nothing virtuous about modesty. It's nothing more than a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    There is nothing virtuous about modesty. It's nothing more than a personal preference.
    Or you know an evil plot by evil religious to enslave women?

It seems as though no one has ever read Nietzsche.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    At one point in time, it was prudent to hide one's assets so others won't be tempted to steal them. Those reasons no longer apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why are women not allowed to become priests, Lark?