User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Sinai-Mountain High? Holy Moses!

omg.... this is just... I don't even know what to make of it.

Writing in the British Journal Time and Mind, Benny Shanon, an Israeli professor of cognitive philosophy, claims Moses was probably on psychedelic drugs when he received the Ten Commandments from God....

According to Shanon, a professor at Hebrew University, two naturally existing plants in the Sinai Peninsula have the same psychoactive components as ones found in the Amazon jungle and are well-known for their mind-altering capabilities. The drugs are usually combined in a drink called ayahuasca....
    The full skinny is here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Is this surprising?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just can't believe how socially irresponsible it was for an 80-year-old man to be chugging "happy juice" right before going on a forty-year road trip.

Then again, it might explain his audacity in walking into the Pharaoh's court and telling him to let all the slaves go after 400 years of social oppression. Not even Lincoln was crazy enough to try.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm guessing the pop-news writers left out some vital pieces of the story because that seems like pretty thin evidence for a scholarly article.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh. So we're back to asking for "evidence" now? What is this -- the 1980's?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well... that would explain a lot...

I always suspected that Revelations was an acid trip of St John the Divine's that he wrote down And it would make more sense to me that he was on drugs than that there was something amazingly supernatural occurring and nobody else saw it and there was no physical evidence left!

And a lot of shamans who consume hallucinogens for the sake of religious ceremonies are older gentlemen I do beleive!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh. So we're back to asking for "evidence" now? What is this -- the 1980's?
    For some of us . . . maybe. Not that I, like, have an Inigo Montoya tee shirt on my Amazon wishlist or Degarmo and Key on iTunes or anything.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTx

Sheryl: [to Frank] He started snorting heroin.
    Frank: [to Grandpa] You started snorting heroin?
    Grandpa: [in response to Frank, aimed at Dwayne] Let me tell ya, don't do that stuff. When you're young, you're crazy to do that shit.
    Frank: [to Grandpa] Well what about you?
    Grandpa: [to Frank] What about me? I'm old. When you're old you're crazy not to do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sounds interesting, although you'd wonder why the cocktail wasn't mentioned in the Bible at all, especially if it was revered as something mystical.

On a similar note, I once heard a theory that the prophets were all schizophrenics/bipolars. Sounds pretty plausible to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Bull$h!t speculation!

This guy has some drug trip in the Amazon where he sees a Yucca plant with a halo over it, it reminds him of Moses, and Voila! he has a new theory. Now to find a plant in the Middle East that can cause hallucinations (like that would be hard) and he has all the evidence he needs.

Lets ignore everything we know about Moses and the Israelites, their stated Law and practices, because frankly he doesn't believe in it. But hey, if we can explain away the experiences of Moses (which he doesn't believe anyways), and by an outrageous idea that would be popular in this day-and-age, why not?