User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

It sounds more nonsense for what your counterargument would be:

"Bullshit! He saw god in the form of a burning bush, talked to him and received a set of rules from him."

A hallucinogen drug that brings about strong feelings of spirituality seems like a much more logical explanation. If the plants are in the region that would make even more sense. Not a bad speculation really.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'd say nubbishness is to blame. Drug nubs.

Nubbishness.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Sounds interesting, although you'd wonder why the cocktail wasn't mentioned in the Bible at all, especially if it was revered as something mystical.
    They wouldn't give away all , if any, of their secrets and how to use them or else people would know how to do everything for themselves.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    They wouldn't give away all , if any, of their secrets and how to use them or else people would know how to do everything for themselves.
    I don't know. It doesn't seem to be how things played out in other cultures, where rituals and substances were used/held in reverence. Usually it just gets turned into a "holy item."

In the case of the Jews, it was the Ark of the Covenant and the rituals/specifications of the Temple... coupled with the blood sacrifice and how oil was used. I am thinking if there were other things there, they would have been mentioned too.

At best, it still is just speculation... worth considering, but to claim it's true is overstepping evidence.

Interesting that, whatever Moses' experience was, he did not WANT to listen to the burning bush and argued with it. So he obviously believed it not to be a drug trip -- going back to egypt might have easily been a death sentence for him, if the story has any truth to it. If anything, he would have been hoping to dismiss it SOMEHOW... but couldn't find any reason to.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know. It doesn't seem to be how things played out in other cultures, where rituals and substances were used/held in reverence. Usually it just gets turned into a "holy item."
    Well, I was only referring to the Judeo-Christian bible/myths, not to any others. Nearly all religions are merely different interpretations of the same stories through past cross-cultural travels/sharing, even that of Moses'.

And what other evidence, aside from the bible/s do you speak of? There's no known physical evidence that Moses ever existed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Nearly all religions are merely different interpretations of the same stories through past cross-cultural travels/sharing, even that of Moses'.
    I would qualify that better. (sorry, you are getting into my "quibble area!")

I think many of the more mythic stories (i.e., much from early Genesis) have similarities from culture to culture. Some, I am thinking, were even developed in order to purposefully contrast against a story that was already widely known.

Some of the others are more personal and specific... so it's like saying a modern day episode of Law and Order necessarily was derived from an old episode of Hill Street Blues... the similar topic matter means there will be some incidental story overlap and similar stories will not necessarily actually be derived from each other.

And what other evidence, aside from the bible/s do you speak of? There's no known physical evidence that Moses ever existed.
    That is a problem, isn't it?

Archeology is confusing as well. Nothing is that clear, and little evidence has been found.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Hm. I wish my hallucinations would produce something as reasonable as the Ten Commandments.

I spent a year and a half at Hebrew University. Some really good professors there. At least there's no lack of interesting ideas to discuss...

Maybe It's just a story and none of it ever happened at all? Such pointless speculation.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I would qualify that better. (sorry, you are getting into my "quibble area!")

I think many of the more mythic stories (i.e., much from early Genesis) have similarities from culture to culture. Some, I am thinking, were even developed in order to purposefully contrast against a story that was already widely known.
    I assumed it would be understood as myths/mythic stories as I mentioned bible/myths. As for Genesis mythic stories, there was already evdience that the mythic-stories existed within Sumerian myths (as it's claimed by some scholars that other religions took from it as well or rather cross-culturally shared/replaced-adopted them to their culture from that one and then others). Sumerians existed and were known as the first true civilsation dating back as far as 7000BC (maybe a bit further, I can't recall exactly.). Their myths, I think, 5000BC? I don't think they had the Moses mythic-story, though. One well known one is Noah's Arc or The Flood Myth. Several cultures have the same one, some written nearly the same/or using their own names/and some with differently written but have the same theme. If I'm off about anything, please do tell, I'm running on old Si

That is a problem, isn't it?

Archeology is confusing as well. Nothing is that clear, and little evidence has been found.
    It is a problem, maybe for some who care for it or try to understand better, but it's fascinating too!

MBTI
    ESFJ

"Just because I imagined it doesn't mean that it wasn't true"
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.