User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would YOU kill the baby?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd kill it/get someone else to kill it

32 48.48%
  • I would not kill it and risk the possibility of being heard

34 51.52%
First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If it were necessary to kill it in order to save everyone else, I would.

But I wouldn't do it if I had an alternative way of silencing the baby, possibly even if that alternative was suicide. In other words, I would kill it to save everyone else, but not just myself. I would regret it for the rest of my life, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. I would probably blame the Nazis for driving me to it, though. I would claim that their inhuman treatment of us, forced me to do something inhuman in order to ensure the survival of the group.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I don't think I would be able kill the baby, especially when there is a possiblity that you get away without doing so. But yeah, you don't know how you will react when actually being in such a situation, if the fear is so strong that I would forget my moral doubts.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    I don't think I would be able kill the baby, especially when there is a possiblity that you get away without doing so. But yeah, you don't know how you will react when actually being in such a situation, if the fear is so strong that I would forget my moral doubts.
    lol I just imagined myself panicking, and quietly yelling "KILLIT!!!KILLIT!!!! >8E" really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

It's one thing to rationalize killing a baby.
    It's another thing to do it.
    Naturally... But like Eckhart said, at that given situation, you don't actually know how you will react. I could be saying it wouldn't be difficult for me to do it and actually believe that--it rationally makes sense for me to go through with it; but if this was reality and I was put in that situation, I have no idea if I'd actually go through with it- would my morals actually kick in?

I still honestly think I'd kill the fucker.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Hmm, there seem to have been two different scenarios decribed here. In the first one, the nazis are only in the neighborhood and might or might not search the house we are hiding in. In the second scenario it is certainty versus certainty, they will hear the baby and definitely kill everybody in the house. In the first case probability enters into play. The second one seems a bit more clear cut.

In the first scenario it is the definite death of a baby (that might either live a long life or die of some infant desease or some other cause a week later) versus the possible death of a group of several adults (who might also die the next day or live on for many years). In the second one it is one life against many. Right now.

The question in the second case then only remains if it is ethical to think in those terms and if we think we could do it. Personally, I usually tend to favor the strategy of sacrificing one life to safe many, but putting it into practice is yet another thing. Extreme situations lead to extreme means and I don't think any of us can say for sure how they would react in such a situation until they experience it first hand. And human instinct often overrules rational consideration. We tend to attribute more worth to our own lifes than to that of a stranger. That is only natural but can disturb the calculation of chances here.

So maybe it's take the risk in the first scenario and kill the baby in the second.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'd pretend it's mine or bring it to an orphanage ("hey, look what I've found, a real living baby! TAKE IT!!!!").
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

So maybe it's take the risk in the first scenario and kill the baby in the second.
    but you don't know what scenario might take place. They might skip your house, they might not, and they might even come back to check, you don't know. All you know is that they're next door and they might come in your house next(or just listen in from the front doors).

maybe I didn't clarify enough :/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

You explained it quite well. But somebody else hee mentioned the alternative scenario. That's why I gave two answers for the two versions. Yours is the first one (more complex and therefor more interesting).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

garbage

People tend to default toward inaction in situations like this as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility in the outcome. "If everyone in the house is killed," they think, "at least it's not my fault."

If there's absolutely no way to shut the brat up, and if there's a high chance that it'd continue to cry, and if there's a high chance of them stopping by my house, then I'd kill the thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    People tend to default toward inaction in situations like this as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility in the outcome. "If everyone in the house is killed," they think, "at least it's not my fault."

If there's absolutely no way to shut the brat up, and if there's a high chance that it'd continue to cry, and if there's a high chance of them stopping by my house, then I'd kill the thing.
    You fiend!

I agree with beefeater. I used the same principle here...

still, I don't think you people would have the balls to snuff a baby. The mother would probably be present, too. Or at least its relative caretaker. Enjoy your crushing guilt.

Sniffles

How about we assume it's your child you have to kill.