User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would YOU kill the baby?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd kill it/get someone else to kill it

32 48.48%
  • I would not kill it and risk the possibility of being heard

34 51.52%
First 111920212223 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Affect and emotion is more powerful than reason, the best you can do is rationalise after the fact but it will not provide you would a completely clear conscience, if you doubt that you should consider the longitudinal studies which have been carried out on the psychological costs of killing in wars by soldiers who were to all intents and purposes fighting just wars or fighting just for their own personal survival even.
    The fact that some will suffer mental anguish does not mean that everyone will.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I wouldn't be able to kill the baby. I wouldn't want anyone else to do it either.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

If the two choices you have put forth are indeed the only choices, then it stands to reason that I kill the baby.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    Can I not banish the crying baby and it's parents from the hiding place? Wait...they might snitch. I'd have to go with killing it, but then again, it's highly unlikely that I'd hide with or near anyone with a child. If the Nazis are planning to kill us, then either way the baby dies, but there is a higher chance of survival for the adults. I am a self-preservationist and if you stand in the way of the only viable path, I will remove you.
    Every third person does this. You are avoiding the question. It isn't a question of "likely situation". Maybe with the baby is the only place TO hide, it doesn't matter. This isn't a situation you will probably ever be in. It isn't some kind of practice for specific situations, it is a general question about what you consider morally right in larger terms.

If I could choose my circumstances, they are: Oh, I'd just not live in Nazi Germany, especially not as a Jew, gay, gypsy, cripple or non-Fascist activist. This scenario, a lifeboat scenario, whatever else, isn't about you avoiding making a choice because it probably makes you uncomfortable, but making a choice because IT DOES. That's the definition of a good and consistent moral code. Considering very difficult choices and being able to determine what to do.

Posturing or avoidance like this makes me think people who do it don't know what they believe morally.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I know I'll probably catch rip for this, but here I go. Yes, I would kill the child because if you allow him/her to live, it will simply die with the rest of the group once the Nazis discover you. It is a lose/lose situation no matter how you look at it. You have to look at the good of the whole over the good of the individual. That is how society works.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Not only would it be ethically impermissible to kill the baby, I don't think anyone here would be capable of killing a baby (even if they had to).
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Morally impermissible is relative to moral ideas. In any real morality it is morally not ideal, not impermissible. It is, from a utilitarian perspective and in this scenario, fully permissible and even correct. A Kantian or absolutist position says it is evil (of course, so is killing the Nazis). Moral relativism is relative (and also very difficult to make a logical argument for in many cases).

As to wether or not we could actually make ourselves do it: this is unknowable. The folks who say the would, in dire situations, maybe couldn't. Those who say they wouldn't, if they truly looked down the barrel of certain death, might be able to or even do so readily. Since it is individual to a degree that is absurdly personal and nearly impossible to test, it is irrelevant. This is a test of theoretical systems of morality, not what someone would literally be able to do.

All Natural! All Good!

Absolutely. Who knows how long we might have to hide there. Someone might get hungry down the line, then they could just eat the baby. I think that would be harder to do if it were alive, because it would kick and stuff if you tried to bite into it. Plus, it would just cry harder. Babies taste better than adults, anyway...adults have thicker hide. Did you know that livers are nutritious and eyes taste just like grapes, hearts just like apples and brains just like custard. If someone could eat it, there'd be no waste whatsoever. I think it's time for a 3:25 am snack.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    Absolutely. Who knows how long we might have to hide there. Someone might get hungry down the line, then they could just eat the baby. I think that would be harder to do if it were alive, because it would kick and stuff if you tried to bite into it. Plus, it would just cry harder. Babies taste better than adults, anyway...adults have thicker hide. Did you know that livers are nutritious and eyes taste just like grapes, hearts just like apples and brains just like custard. If someone could eat it, there'd be no waste whatsoever. I think it's time for a 3:25 am snack.
    Who hasn't been mildly hungry and come to the totally reasonable conclusion "the only way out of this pickle is to murder a child"?

Ridiculous.

Let me take the slippery slope in the opposite direction.

Oh shit, my cricket is making noise and I'm hiding in a room with every single person who would be killed in the holocaust. Well, I guess I have to let 11 million die to save my favorite cricket.

Jonathan Swift was still mocking the oppressors, not the oppressed.

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Oh shit, my cricket is making noise and I'm hiding in a room with every single person who would be killed in the holocaust. Well, I guess I have to let 11 million die to save my favorite cricket.
    Why can't you eat the cricket? If you had a cricket and a baby, you could use grind the cricket up and use it as topping, no?
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.