User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would YOU kill the baby?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd kill it/get someone else to kill it

32 48.48%
  • I would not kill it and risk the possibility of being heard

34 51.52%
First 81617181920 Last

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Would I kill an innocent person to save my own life? No. Some things are worth dying for, and not becoming a murderer is one of them.
    Exactly! I emphasized the innocent part since it will make a difference in my choice not to kill or kill.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Exactly! I emphasized the innocent part since it will make a difference in my choice not to kill or kill.
    That begs the question: How guilty is guilty enough?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    That begs the question: How guilty is guilty enough?
    If the potential deceased is an adult who understands and won't shut up, that's guilty enough for me.

MBTI
    INTj

Well, just to save myself? No, not unless it was direct self-defense. To save myself and others? Yes.
    From a rational perspective, what is wrong with saving yourself? Or is it simply an emotional decision?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Your actions will result in at least one death, either the baby or yourself. Are you making a rational or emotional decision?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    From a rational perspective, what is wrong with saving yourself? Or is it simply an emotional decision?
    Well, I imagine the guilt would be constant burden on me. Something that at least drags my life down and at worst drives me to self-harm. The life of the other person, who survives (and, if it was not self-defense, did not need to kill to do so and is possibly fully unaware of the situation), would be unmarred by guilt and therefore better in quality. Self-defense is more easily rationalized, as is killing someone who is the worst king of terrible (i.e. a Bundy or Dahmer) or someone I know poses a continuing threat to others.

The issue of the guilt that weighs on me is not wholly rational but I am not certain I can escape it. Survivor's guilt is often called irrational even by those who experience it, but they still feel it.

I would feel guilt for killing the baby but the fact that the baby dies and several others live means that ultimately my guilt and the baby's death are less than the cost of everyone present's life. To me, not killing the baby may be a selfish action.

MBTI
    INTj

Well, I imagine the guilt would be constant burden on me.
    So you consider it to be your own personal preference rather than an absolute virtue? In other words, if another person felt no guilt, then you would be fine with them killing the baby?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    So you consider it to be your own personal preference rather than an absolute virtue? In other words, if another person felt no guilt, then you would be fine with them killing the baby?
    Clearly the person with the least qualm of killing the baby should do it. A rare case of sociopathy working toward the greater good. That person's future worth or deficit of worth is another issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, just to save myself? No, not unless it was direct self-defense. To save myself and others? Yes.
    Why for others? Can you really speak for them or know that this is a good decision? Would any "others" qualify, or only certain people?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, we waver into generalities. Maybe the baby I kill is going to grow up to be a mass murderer or genocidal maniac. For the most part, that isn't true. For the most part, people would like to live. I can only make the decision based on likely input or results.

I guess if I were to kill Martin Luther King to save myself, Stalin, Charles Manson and John Wayne Gacy, no, I wouldn't do it.

We could get infinitely semantical, but I don't see the point. If I want to answer "but what if"s ad nauseum, I'll hang out with a 4-year-old.

Of course it depends on the specifics, which is why I take hypothetical situations to be "in general" or "to the best of your assumptions, based on what you see in the world and people around you." I don't arbitrarily assign significance, good or bad, to anyone in the scenario except those explictily stated to be killers or saints.

If I did, I'd have to look at the vague situation "Kill one person or ten" as "well, maybe all ten are suicidal or evil, so I guess save one"