User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would YOU kill the baby?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd kill it/get someone else to kill it

32 48.48%
  • I would not kill it and risk the possibility of being heard

34 51.52%
First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The Einsatzgruppen operated in Russia too and killed hundreds of thousands of Jews(around 300-400,000 I believe). Their exploits are actually far more well known than what the Einsatzgruppen did in Poland. There's the famous film, shot by a man in the Luftwaffe IIRC, showing these men at work - having Jews line up in a ditch and then shot. Actually there's plenty of film and photos of these units in action, but due to the forum rules I can't produce them here.
    Well, actually that's true... the "don't waste bullets" policy was mostly applied to German Jews, I think. They probably didn't have as many qualms about using them on foreign Jews who were more likely to put up resistance. So I guess whether they were likely to use bullets or not, depends on whether you're a German Jew or not.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The Nazis didn't care about wasting bullets. The problem was the effect it had on the shooters. They would break down, or become drunks, or worst of all - begin to enjoy it. Can't have those kind of people returning to the glorious Third Reich. Gas chambers made it easier on the killers.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, actually that's true... the "don't waste bullets" policy was mostly applied to German Jews, I think. They probably didn't have as many qualms about using them on foreign Jews who were more likely to put up resistance. So I guess whether they were likely to use bullets or not, depends on whether you're a German Jew or not.
    The Nazis made little, if any, distinction between the two. Jews were Jews, period. There were a few exceptions though, such as for Jews who served in the German army in WWI, which provided them with some protection - in the beginning at least. That and for Jews and half-Jews who were in the Wehrmacht and Kriegsmarine. I haven't fully read it yet, but Bryan Mark Rigg wrote about this in Hitler's Jewish Soldiers: The Untold Story of Nazi Racial Laws and Men of Jewish Descent in the German Military.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    The situation is hypothetical until the choice and the set situation has been made. I wouldn't kill the baby. Not in my interests. Being alive is not necessarily always in my personal interests also. Once the choice has been made I would enjoy the outcome of trying to kill a few nazi soldiers were they to find us. Me and two others stay up on ground floor hidden behind a few objects. The baby's cries could be a decoy for them to look towards a certain direction while we give them a good surprise from behind as they look down hopefully allowing us to steal a few guns in the process assuming we have no guns. It would have to be played out perfectly.
    Oh, good point.

I forgot about the part where you can totally just change the scenario to make it easier and less ambiguous.

I have an Iron Man suit in the scenario. I kill all the Nazis there and then Hitler.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

That isn't a realistic situation. I'd just muffle the baby's mouth and let it breathe through its nose. If it's still making a noise, I'd hold down the nose for 30 seconds and let go for it to get air in before clamping down the nose again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    That isn't a realistic situation. I'd just muffle the baby's mouth and let it breathe through its nose. If it's still making a noise, I'd hold down the nose for 30 seconds and let go for it to get air in before clamping down the nose again.
    It doesn't matter how realistic it is. Maybe the baby is across a piece of flooe that will set off an alarm and you have a silenced pistol with one bullet. Maybe you have knife hands.

Frankly, Nazis aren't a very big threat today, either. You are never going to run into this choice in your life, at least not laid out like this. The point is a question that taps into your own moral code to see how it responds in intense situations. Anything else, all the "this isn't realistic" or "I'd do this instead" misses that point. It makes it seem like you are uncomfortable or unsure of your own morality (to me).

So:

Would you kill a baby to almost certainly save yourself and several others, and if the baby is not killed it will just as likely also die.

That's the question. The details, the threat, the reasons the baby has to die don't matter.

MBTI
    INTP

Would you kill someone else to save your own life?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Depends on the situation, but probably. ^
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Would I kill an innocent person to save my own life? No. Some things are worth dying for, and not becoming a murderer is one of them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Would you kill someone else to save your own life?
    Well, just to save myself? No, not unless it was direct self-defense. To save myself and others? Yes.