• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zen Master Ceasar Milan (Dog Whisperer)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Seriously, this guy is amazing. I've been watching some of his DVDs (videos here) and he's fucking incredible. The way he communicates with dogs is only part of his mystique. He's has a calming effect not only on animals but on their owners, as well. He shifts them back into the moment and models fearlessness for both owner and dog. In essence, he's a source of security which can be very contagious.

I started using his techniques on my friend's chihuahua who I dog-sat for this weekend. The dog is a completely different dog right now, doesn't bark, doesn't bite, very calm, and still playful which is important.

Then I thought -- shit, why not use the dog whisperer's techniques during meditation? When your mind wanders, just yank it back assertively but gently. Other elements of Ceasar's technique also have application: calm assertive energy, letting go of the past, forgiving yourself, imagining a positive outcome, etc. Your mind becomes the dog and the calm assertive owner at the same time.

Anyone here watch the Dog Whisperer? Thoughts? Do you use the Dog Whisperer's techniques anywhere else? Politics? Negotiations? Romance? Overcoming fear?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love that guy. At first I was like "not another Whisperer! don't we have enough Whisperers by now?" but I could watch that guy all day.

He models the kind of parent I want to be: firm but gentle, patient but not tolerant of misbehavior. Soft-spoken, slow to ire, but can bring it when necessary.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ OMG, I think admiration for him must be both an INTP and a dog-lover thing. My brother the INTP thinks he is the dog whisperer junior. IMHO he is a little too strict and harsh with his dog who is only 6 months old. He often accuses me of undermining his authority in front of his dog. And yes, the dog thinks I am a member of his pack, not an alpha but he's doesn't exhibit problem behavior so I'm fine with that. Plus he is super adorable and pretty smart (the dog, not my brother! :D)

BTW, the whole 'calm assertive' thing is a precept of a lot of meditation and the holistic healing modern hippie bent. If you practice that calm assertion in your daily life you'll find that people respond better to you and you have more control or influence in situations. You'll also be more clear headed and better able to handle situations. Basically, people respect you more and you make better decisions not influenced by wild emotions or impulse. Which makes sense since we are also pack animals...?

I think what's very smart about Cesar Milan's dog-training philosophy is that he asks very basic questions like 'Why is the dog doing this?' and he uses basic knowledge about dog instinct to answer and fix the root of the problem.

At the same time, some of his approaches are like cognitive therapy or role-play, literally teaching the subject to change their behavior through repetition and desensitization.

So I guess the answer to your question was comparing his techniques to actual therapy in humans on an instincutal level.

I have to say, I like Supernanny better. After watchiing a few episodes of that show I got so much better at babysitting! I was able to get my favorite ex's nieces to be in just under 2 hours!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
He models the kind of parent I want to be: firm but gentle, patient but not tolerant of misbehavior. Soft-spoken, slow to ire, but can bring it when necessary.

Totally. I was thinking the same thing, actually. He looks like he's got his kids under control, too. Did you notice that whenever he arrives at someone's house he just walks right in as soon as they open the door? According to his philosophy, he's asserting territorial control by removing boundaries. He does exactly what the dominant dogs do as they're leaving the house...leading the way and ignoring cues. It's very interesting. His language also mirrors his philosophy, in the sense that he'll cut people off if he needs to. It's the linguistic equivalent of a tug at the leash, imo.

(the dog, not my brother! :D)

LOL

BTW, the whole 'calm assertive' thing is a precept of a lot of meditation and the holistic healing modern hippie bent. If you practice that calm assertion in your daily life you'll find that people respond better to you and you have more control or influence in situations. You'll also be more clear headed and better able to handle situations. Basically, people respect you more and you make better decisions not influenced by wild emotions or impulse. Which makes sense since we are also pack animals...?

Absolutely. I woke up last week wondering if dominant diplomats use Dog-Whisperer techniques. Weird thought, I know, but it makes sense; you lead a conversation and assert yourself without too much force and you can earn respect as a leader. Also, I was thinking of global politics as a struggle between dominant males, some born dominant, and some who are thrust in that position. Ceasar talks a lot about insecure dominants who become territorial and aggressive. Could George Bush be analyzed as an insecure dominant?

I have to say, I like Supernanny better.

Got any good links from YouTube? Sounds cool. Never seen it.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Absolutely. I woke up last week wondering if dominant diplomats use Dog-Whisperer techniques. Weird thought, I know, but it makes sense; you lead a conversation and assert yourself without too much force and you can earn respect as a leader. Also, I was thinking of global politics as a struggle between dominant males, some born dominant, and some who are thrust in that position. Ceasar talks a lot about insecure dominants who become territorial and aggressive. Could George Bush be analyzed as an insecure dominant?

I'm not sure about the dominant males theory :rolleyes: or even the theory that it's (natural?) alphas who are in leadership positions. Or maybe you use the term 'dominant' removed from its colloquial implications? Do you mean dominant like A-Type alpha males, generals, corporate execs, sports agents, etc.? There are theories about this in business management theory.

But this does remind me of a kid on my Model UN team (I lived overseas at the time). He was a larger guy and not popular in any sense at school, but he really took command of the floor. Most diplomacy at least from what MUN tells you, happens unofficially between breaks and during caucuses and he could stand in a group of kids, speak very calmy, quietly, and deliberately, and everyone else would fall silent.

We had an actual diplomat, someone who worked in some capacity at the UN observe and he told our advisor this kid was a born diplomat or should definitely go into diplomacy or something like that.

I think the key to a lot of success in life is being self-possessed -- which basically sum up the opposite of or at least negates anxiety, nervousness, 'the jitters' etc. I think that's the difference between people who are shy and simply introverted people who don't feel as much a need for socializing. And as anyone is sales will tell you, if you're at ease, you put others at ease. If you act like you you're super confident (or 'dominant') generally people go along with it except when there are other dominants around which you find a lot in sports and the corporate workplace.

George Bush as a fearful dominant? Well I could definitely see how he had "greatness" thrust unto him or wrest away from others unto him by daddy and co. And considering what little ability he seems to have, I can definitely see him being nervous. He tries so hard to be hard (like a general) but he comes off like such a geek to me.

Got any good links from YouTube? Sounds cool. Never seen it.

YouTube - Supernanny - Supermarket

That's the only clip I could find but it gives you the idea. A lot of 'cute kids' who are out of control. Lots of screaming, crying, cursing, and occasional hitting and biting.

Joe does a 'Whisperer' kinda thing in that she understands the very basic needs of children, is able to see what the behavior is "really" about, is all about setting up dominance (though doesn't word it like that), the need for schedules and consistency, and showing disapproval in effective and appropriate ways that kids actually understand and approval as well.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Don't take this as dehumanizing as it sounds, guys, but kids and dogs have a lot in common, behaviorally. They get nervous when they sense that nobody's minding the store, and they try to fill that role themselves. They know they're not really suited for it, though, so they kind of go nuts. They don't know what to do. They really feel more comfortable with a safe, calm authority figure at the head of the table.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't take this as dehumanizing as it sounds, guys, but kids and dogs have a lot in common, behaviorally. They get nervous when they sense that nobody's minding the store, and they try to fill that role themselves. They know they're not really suited for it, though, so they kind of go nuts. They don't know what to do. They really feel more comfortable with a safe, calm authority figure at the head of the table.

Agreed. The Supernanny uses lots of the same techniques as the Dog Whisperer, too.

I'm not sure about the dominant males theory :rolleyes: or even the theory that it's (natural?) alphas who are in leadership positions. Or maybe you use the term 'dominant' removed from its colloquial implications? Do you mean dominant like A-Type alpha males, generals, corporate execs, sports agents, etc.? There are theories about this in business management theory.

I mean dominant in the sense of assertiveness and confidence, not necessarily tied to gender. Your MUN friend is a good example.

George Bush as a fearful dominant? Well I could definitely see how he had "greatness" thrust unto him or wrest away from others unto him by daddy and co. And considering what little ability he seems to have, I can definitely see him being nervous. He tries so hard to be hard (like a general) but he comes off like such a geek to me.

Me too.

Joe does a 'Whisperer' kinda thing in that she understands the very basic needs of children, is able to see what the behavior is "really" about, is all about setting up dominance (though doesn't word it like that), the need for schedules and consistency, and showing disapproval in effective and appropriate ways that kids actually understand and approval as well.

That was very cool, thanks.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I mostly like Nanny Jo except I'm not 100% behind the "Naughty Corner" thing. I'm hesitant to use humiliation as discipline.

Of course, I am right now having a lot of trouble with potty training my son and it's tempting. But I fear the long-term consequences.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I mostly like Nanny Jo except I'm not 100% behind the "Naughty Corner" thing. I'm hesitant to use humiliation as discipline.

Of course, I am right now having a lot of trouble with potty training my son and it's tempting. But I fear the long-term consequences.

You could always put a toilet in the corner and kill 2 birds with one poop.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's so crazy it just might work...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

:yim_rolling_on_the_

I don't even like South Park but that spoof was spot-on and hilarious. And Cartman so very much deserves to get checked.

It's especially funny as someone who's watched the show and moreover live with a Dog Whisperer devotee and tell me the exact same tips about walking, eating first, etc. My brother even does the 'nipping'' thing to his dog which sometimes I feel bad about...except when I do it.

But mostly I carry the puppy around and squeeze him and hug him and tell him "I love you XXXX! You are my babbbbbyyyy!" in two different languages and basically annoy the holy hell out of him. Then when I put him down and he runs away from me and back to my brother, I call him an ungrateful little bastard. Until I pick him up again and repeat the process. :D

Edit: Edahn, when I first read the title to your thread, I thought you were asking about the Zen Master Cleanse. I was like wow, someone else on the boards is doing a hippie fast! And it seemed like it could a bit out of character for you, but then, you've been talking about self-improvement lately and live in SoCal. ;)

Last edited:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, at first I used to think this show was stupid, but then I started watching it, and found it fairly interesting. He's definitely good at what he does. What type is he, do you think?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Take what he does with a grain of salt. Cesar is not regarded favorably in the animal behaviorist world. I believe wiki has some articles on it. Yes, he does get results. But he also gets bitten fairly often and is rather limited in his treatments. The danger is that people with less experience than himself will use the same techniques which are not exactly safe, especially with really dominant dogs. Don't get me wrong, I am at awe at what he can do as well, but do take a moment to read the other views that exist on this.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4

i think that naughty corner thing is stupid and i most certainly wouldn't use it for potty training. i let each of our kids potty train in their own time which i'm sure a lot of experts would disagree with but some kids are slower with getting the hang of it which I think is ok.

something that worked for a neighbor of mine was she gave her kids a treat when they used the potty, flushed and washed their hands. m&m's, smarties, any little treat and it worked. I personally didn't like the idea of rewarding my children for doing something they're supposed to do or the idea of candy but maybe something healthier would work? I mean you do realize that he'll be potty trained by the time he goes to college right? ;)

As for Caesar, yes he's pretty good but he can be too harsh at times. he'd also disapprove of the way we spoil and love our shih tzu and I would totally tell him to suck it becuase she is such a sweet lovable cuddly fluff that brings so much happiness to our family. You definitely need to let your dog know who's boss and the tss thing totally works but we let our dog sleep at the foot of the bed which i know he'd freak over. my thing is as long as she knows her place and respects us it's ok. there's another dog chick on animal planet that's the total opposite and her thing seems to be rehabilitating the owners which i think is wacko. if the two of them could be molded into one, that would be ideal.