User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

  1. #1
    Member maydelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    50

    Default "Should we tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority."

    What is your opinions on this statement? I want to see if anyone can change my opinion.

  2. #2
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    "Should we tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority."

    "Negative" is subjective. If we stopped tolerating views that differed from the majority, then society would never change, never progress. We'd simply stagnate. Furthermore there is a lot of natural diversity among people. You'd naturally disenfranchise a large portion of people simply because they are different.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maydelle View Post
    What is your opinions on this statement? I want to see if anyone can change my opinion.
    What's your opinion?

    The whole question is too damn vague. It could encompass anything from child molesters and rapists to nihilists to pessimists to things that are considered negative by the majority but might not be inherently negative at all.

    Liquid pretty much says it all. You need something to challenge the majority opinion or nothing ever changes, and majority doesn't always mean "best."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maydelle View Post
    What is your opinions on this statement? I want to see if anyone can change my opinion.
    Yes, I think it's wise to tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority, as long as they don't encroach on the majorities way of life with special exceptions to the rules that the majority are expected to follow. Let's use gay pride as an example. I think what's good for them should be good for me; meaning, if they are allowed to block off city streets partying in their tighty whities promoting gay pride, then I should be allowed to block off city streets partying in my panties promoting straight pride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would be cuffed and thrown in the back of a cop car if I tried that.

  5. #5
    Member maydelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's your opinion?

    The whole question is too damn vague. It could encompass anything from child molesters and rapists to nihilists to pessimists to things that are considered negative by the majority but might not be inherently negative at all.

    Liquid pretty much says it all. You need something to challenge the majority opinion or nothing ever changes, and majority doesn't always mean "best."
    You can interpret 'negative' the way you want.
    Okay so you say that majority doesn't always mean best, you would tolerate whatever it is then? Be it the right to kill in the name of family honor or stuff like that....because then society would never change, right?

  6. #6
    Member maydelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Yes, I think it's wise to tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority, as long as they don't encroach on the majorities way of life with special exceptions to the rules that the majority are expected to follow. Let's use gay pride as an example. I think what's good for them should be good for me; meaning, if they are allowed to block off city streets partying in their tighty whities promoting gay pride, then I should be allowed to block off city streets partying in my panties promoting straight pride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would be cuffed and thrown in the back of a cop car if I tried that.
    That's interesting. My question to you is would that work universally (In all situation)? I always go on about if there is an answer then it should be able to be applied universally.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Yes, I think it's wise to tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority, as long as they don't encroach on the majorities way of life with special exceptions to the rules that the majority are expected to follow. Let's use gay pride as an example. I think what's good for them should be good for me; meaning, if they are allowed to block off city streets partying in their tighty whities promoting gay pride, then I should be allowed to block off city streets partying in my panties promoting straight pride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would be cuffed and thrown in the back of a cop car if I tried that.
    No one is stopping you from organizing a group of people to have a special event in your city.

    Anyone would be thrown in the back of a cop car-regardless of sexual orientation- if they hadn't applied for, and received a city permit for a march, parade, or special event. Being gay is irrelevant. The issue is acquiring the city permit.

    There are laws against public nudity, not poor taste in clothing.
    If there is a fashion police force in Texas, perhaps a change of residence is in order.

  8. #8
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maydelle View Post
    You can interpret 'negative' the way you want.
    Okay so you say that majority doesn't always mean best, you would tolerate whatever it is then? Be it the right to kill in the name of family honor or stuff like that....because then society would never change, right?
    It means that what the majority believes is mostly irrelevant. The majority might be right or they might be wrong, but it doesn't matter. We shouldn't base our ethical views based on what the majority thinks.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  9. #9
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Sure. As long as those views and ways of life don't negatively impact the way others, who don't subscribe to that particular delusion, live their own lives.

    Irritating proselytizers should be shot on sight. Generally, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer anyway. Improve the gene pool.

    I don't care if Cthulhu, or Spunkulon the CCXIII, God Emperor of the 12th through 28th dimensions, has come to you personally to show you the correct way to live. Keep it to yourself. If I have questions I'll ask.

  10. #10
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    In a broad sense, yes. We should be open-minded about different viewpoints and lifestyles. Who really cares how the others are living their lives if they are not harming others in process?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




Similar Threads

  1. TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joys and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
  2. Video: TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joy and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  3. MBTI ditribution and quality of life index
    By Anarchicpolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
  4. Should we be grateful extroverts are on the way out?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM
  5. Physics, chemistry, biology and wisdom of life
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO