User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 37

  1. #11
    Junior Member Kenn Salvatore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    24

    Default

    My question is why is the statement "Should we tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority." instead of "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority." ? It seems to imply that just because it is of minority, that it is negative. Why do people associate minority and negative, is this what the world has come to?

  2. #12
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn Salvatore View Post
    My question is why is the statement "Should we tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority." instead of "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority." ? It seems to imply that just because it is of minority, that it is negative. Why do people associate minority and negative, is this what the world has come to?
    I don't think your interpretation is correct. In fact, if the question was "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority?" that to me implies that a minority view is instrinsically negative (because otherwise why would it need to be tolerated?)

    By saying that the views discussed here are specifically the "negative" ones, the OP implies that there are also positive ones (and rightly so, of course), which aren't being discussed here.

    /pedant
    -end of thread-

  3. #13
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn Salvatore View Post
    My question is why is the statement "Should we tolerate negative views and ways of life that differ from the majority." instead of "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority." ? It seems to imply that just because it is of minority, that it is negative. Why do people associate minority and negative, is this what the world has come to?
    I'm hoping the title was mistyped.

  4. #14
    Junior Member Kenn Salvatore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't think your interpretation is correct. In fact, if the question was "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority?" that to me implies that a minority view is instrinsically negative (because otherwise why would it need to be tolerated?)

    By saying that the views discussed here are specifically the "negative" ones, the OP implies that there are also positive ones (and rightly so, of course), which aren't being discussed here.

    /pedant
    I see your point, but if this is the case "why does anyone tolerate views & opinions that defies their own?"

  5. #15
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Yes, I'm sure there's a better way to phrase it. "Negative" is a subjective term, of course. The entire answer to the question depends on how you define "negative" in this case, and where exactly "eccentric" crosses the line into "negative".
    -end of thread-

  6. #16
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    I'm in favor of lining up the negative people, spanking the negatude out of them, and parading them around town in their underwear. We can all vote as to what qualifies as a negative view, if you want.

    On a serious note, I'll narrow the scope of this topic down to what I consider to be the most concerning members of American society with lives that differ from the majority that I don't think we should cater to: pedophiles, drug dealers, terrorists, gang members, "extremists", members of extreme organizations (i.e., kkk), etc. When weirdoes, crazies, and sickies deviate too far away from what's acceptable, the laws often change forming tighter boundaries, in an effort to protect the 'upstanding' majority of the population from the 'deviated' minority. In some cases the laws change to protect us from ourselves; as in the case of drinking and driving. Which is ultimately a good thing I think. Should we tolerate members of society that choose to go off the grid, wear fig leaves, and eat berries? Sure, why not, if they're not hurting anyone. Should we tolerate those same folks planning a mass suicide on their commune that includes innocent children? Absolutely not.

    As for tolerating negative views... Let's face it, there are some seriously "sensitive", negative, big-mouthed, extremist-phonies in this world that like to ride the backs (and coat-tails) of those of us 'accomplished' w/integrity in the happy majority party; we work our asses off for what we have (that they would like to take away). These "sensitive extremists" that try to interfere and skew our positive messages, I don't think we should cater to their "sensitivity" or make it easy for them to spread their negative messages of extremism, hatred, and violence. I'm all for offending them.

    I like what Biaxident said, "As long as those views and ways of life don't negatively impact the way of others." ...That's what matters most to me and I think that sums it up nicely.

  7. #17
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Smile

    Free speech means nothing unless we are free to offend.

    The exception is Islam where offensive speech is met by the death penalty.

    However liberal democracy, science and the law all depend on free enquiry and free speech.

  8. #18
    Member maydelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't think your interpretation is correct. In fact, if the question was "Should we tolerate views and ways of life that differ from the majority?" that to me implies that a minority view is instrinsically negative (because otherwise why would it need to be tolerated?)

    By saying that the views discussed here are specifically the "negative" ones, the OP implies that there are also positive ones (and rightly so, of course), which aren't being discussed here.

    /pedant
    Your interpretation of the statement is exactly correct. My main aim here is to see how people think therefore be as subjective as you want.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maydelle View Post
    What is your opinions on this statement? I want to see if anyone can change my opinion.
    Well, I suppose, I would first enquire what is your opinion?

  10. #20
    Member maydelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well, I suppose, I would first enquire what is your opinion?
    I'm a very liberal about this, I base my beliefs on the harm principle....do whatever you want as long as you don't harm others.

Similar Threads

  1. TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joys and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
  2. Video: TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joy and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  3. MBTI ditribution and quality of life index
    By Anarchicpolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
  4. Should we be grateful extroverts are on the way out?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM
  5. Physics, chemistry, biology and wisdom of life
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO