User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Default Do people change?

In your opinion, do you think that people change?

Or more specifically, what spurs people to change? If someone is a shitty person, do you think they can just wake up one day and decide to no longer be a shitty person? Does an abusive man (whether emotionally or physically) one day just decide to not be a pig anymore, and becomes a romantic gentleman?

If you truly do believe people can change, then do you believe is it sudden or gradual?

JUST to clarify, this was just a hypothetical question! Haha, me and my roommate were watching Sex and the City and were wondering if people really do change. (ie MR. Big)

MBTI
    INFP

People change. And they change because they want to change. It's gradual. It takes continual effort in the beginning.

I don't know about your abusive pig/romantic gentleman example. That sounds like a honeymoon period in the cycle of abuse.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not sure what you mean by "shitty person" but yes damaged people can overcome their issues with drugs, alcohol, emotional instability, or even violence, but they have to want to and work at it, because frequently the scars which make them that way have been present since childhood or are neurological and biochemical in nature.

Many people are capable of rehabilitation if they want it. Sociopaths are an obvious exception, and people with pathological narcissism and borderline personality disorder can be helped, but are notortiously hard to get into and keep in therapy because they think everyone else is the problem.

Immature people grow up, and bitter, angry people can quit being destructive to themselves and others with some self-awareness and love.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Hm. Interesting.

I suppose I have a very House-like view in people changing. Very skeptical about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

House lacks emotional intelligence.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People make changes in their lives only when the pain of not changing outweighs the fear of change.

As far as personality goes? No, not really. There's growth and building onto a personality from a specific starting point, but it's not like people can just choose to be something they are not. There's a line of continuity there.

Does an abusive man (whether emotionally or physically) one day just decide to not be a pig anymore, and becomes a romantic gentleman?
    He might choose to be romantic, but he won't even know how, really, for some time -- it's a role he would have to grow into, and probably suffer relapses along the way.

If you truly do believe people can change, then do you believe is it sudden or gradual?
    it depends on the personality involved, the change being made, and the context.

For example, someone who is suddenly motivated to quit smoking might choose to just go cold turkey and never look back after that first day. Or she might have many relapses along the way and really struggle.

Or someone who is codependent might have to work at not being codependent, and he'll need time to figure out how to not be codependent in given situations. Or maybe he'll just leave an abusive relationship and not look back.

I always recommend Allen Wheelis' "How People Change" if you're into the more philosophical/psychological approach.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I always recommend Allen Wheelis' "How People Change" if you're into the more philosophical/psychological approach.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Building upon a personality is change is it not?
    My thoughts move towards one's attitude,
    I think attitude plays an important role on how we enter the world. It can be changed at will though needs it's time. It is our attitude that shines our personality in it's different lights and certainly we do not want to exist in our personality's most unhealthy state.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    People make changes in their lives only when the pain of not changing outweighs the fear of change.
    I agree with this. I think that extreme adversity or some sort of catastrophic event typically facilitates change. That change can be for the better or for the worse.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    I agree with this. I think that extreme adversity or some sort of catastrophic event typically facilitates change. That change can be for the better or for the worse.
    gradual

hmmmmmm
    change coming from concern, an wanting to because they care or change being forced due to circumstance but not really caring or bothering to look beyound oneself