• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people change?

G

Ginkgo

Well, personality type doesn't change, the basic way of perceiving the world does not change, and by clicking on the previous thread on this topic I noticed that Edgar expressed himself more clearly there, and with that I agree...INFPs do not become ESTJs.

But people can undergo what seem like miraculous changes in destructive behavior when they want to grow, given the right tools, support, and environment.

Can you explain your position here? It seems like a couple of baseless statements.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can you explain your position here? It seems like a couple of baseless statements.

Personality type does not change. Your default way of being, in the rawest sense - and I don't mean behaviors or attitudes or interests or methods of coping - does not change. An NFP trying to act like an STJ will become tired from the effort of doing so.

But an unhealthy or emotionally imbalanced NFP can become a healthy NFP.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Some people try to change, but fail over the long term because they aren't ready for it. There is right brain therapy that can reverse programming done during early developmental time (before left brain development occurs). And that's for fucked up deeply ingrained patterned shit. All sorts of more superficial change, like becoming more proactive, happens all the time everywhere.

I used to get my friend in kindergarten to ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom I was so painfully shy. I would hide under tables when certain people came over. I am now the first person to start working a room at a networking event, and I always volunteer to speak first during presentations I'm a part of. I even ask dudez out and initiate kisses.

You want to tell me people don't change? They do. All the fucking time buddy.

edit: In response to Edgar.

G

Ginkgo

Personality type does not change. Your default way of being, in the rawest sense - and I don't mean behaviors or attitudes or interests or methods of coping - does not change. An NFP trying to act like an STJ will become tired from the effort of doing so.

But an unhealthy or emotionally imbalanced NFP can become a healthy NFP.

You basically just reiterated your prior statements. Do you have any studies to support your claim, or is this just Typology dogma?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You basically just reiterated your prior statements. Do you have any studies to support your claim, or is this just Typology dogma?

Would you like a personal anecdote? I've tried being more SJ-like and it made me stressed out, unhappy, and fucking miserable.

I believe this is what happens a lot of the time when people wake up one day and realize they've been living a lie, or have been trying to be what someone else wants them to be.

It's when people are trying to imitate a personality that they simply are not, will never will be, and are just making themselves miserable by doing so.

That would be the IMAGE of change, rather than real change.

Real change involves overcoming unhealthy patterns of thinking and behaviors, not trying to make yourself be someone you're not.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Would you like a personal anecdote? I've tried being more SJ-like and it made me stressed out, unhappy, and fucking miserable.

I believe this is what happens a lot of the time when people wake up one day and realize they've been living a lie, or have been trying to be what someone else wants them to be.

It's when people are trying to imitate a personality that they simply are not, will never will be, and are just making themselves miserable by doing so.

Real change involves overcoming unhealthy patterns of thinking and behaviors, not trying to make yourself be someone you're not.

sounds like you just became who you are. not sure that is change more like growth

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Growth is a form of change. For example, a violent alcoholic can change and become a sober, non-violent, reasonably happy member of society - but they have to want to change, and need to the correct tools and support to do so.

This is what I mean by change.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
more like unexplored avenues that would be best suited for the individual but you were forced to drive past due to expectation and how you were raised.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
more like unexplored avenues that would be best suited for the individual but you were forced to drive past due to expectation and how you were raised.

That makes sense, sure yeah, because a lot of fucked up people are damaged because of the way they were raised or because of lack of opportunity. But if someone gives them therapy rather than prison, there's a strong possibility that person will become a healthy version of themselves.

It's not that they become someone else, or just that they adapt to their surroundings either - I don't think that's quite right. Their feelings and ways of being inside change, they are released from self-hatred or anger or habit, so in order for real change to occur it's about changing those inner things, not just behaving differently.

G

Ginkgo

I would not like a personal anecdote. You are not representative of all human beings under the sun.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Someone needs to really narrow down and clarify what sort of change we're arguing here. I think change of all forms can happen though so that won't have any impact on my stance.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, Mystic Tater, that's fine, never said I was - which is why I've been speaking in more general terms for the rest of my posts.

For someone who believes personality theory is such dogma, you're sure acting like an INFP rejecting inferior Te. Not unlike Victor.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Your mom changed in my room last night!

She changed into a ferocious cougar! RAWR

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, knight, I think so. But I think in some cases (though not all) the person can continue development later. It just then looks like it "took them longer to grow up" or some other such nonsense that people like to say.

G

Ginkgo

Okay, Mystic Tater, that's fine, never said I was - which is why I've been speaking in more general terms for the rest of my posts.

For someone who believes personality theory is such dogma, you're sure acting like an INFP rejecting inferior Te. Not unlike Victor.

Anything can become dogma. Even rebellion.

I never said all personality theory is dogma; however, there exists dogmatic personality theory.

Victor's never written a straightforward post in his life. Even so, I'm not sure what that has to do with the issue.