User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 86

  1. #51
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    In your opinion, do you think that people change?

    Or more specifically, what spurs people to change? If someone is a shitty person, do you think they can just wake up one day and decide to no longer be a shitty person? Does an abusive man (whether emotionally or physically) one day just decide to not be a pig anymore, and becomes a romantic gentleman?

    If you truly do believe people can change, then do you believe is it sudden or gradual?

    JUST to clarify, this was just a hypothetical question! Haha, me and my roommate were watching Sex and the City and were wondering if people really do change. (ie MR. Big)
    Transitive or intransitive? People are subject to object, therefore object of subject.
    Subject to change. Object of change.
    Time and loci change.
    People do not.

    We are changed. By time and loci.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    609

    Default

    When you are young you chance a lot usually.. However it does not mean you can continue to do so..

    My dad may have become softer over the years but he has not chanced one bit. He is what he is and you have to accept that or fight him, kinda. He still talks endlessly about hes job and he still doesn`t get gentle hints and he still does sailing every summer regardless of wether or not the partner get seasick.

    I think some people can chance a little tho. At least i hope.

    Im trying to improve my sosial skills. Im not likely to chance internally but i might understand people more and therefore get along with them better. Knowlegde is the solution i hope.. :P

  3. #53
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Your dad sounds like an STJ!!

  4. #54
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Short answer: no.

  5. #55
    I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    A few things - first of all, NFs have a hardon about "people change" because of NF's views about idealism and redemption, etc. Second, there is a good chance we differ on what constitutes "change".

    For example, in high school my social skills weren't as refined as they are now. Over time, I've learned how to put people at ease while talking to them, started employing faux-feeler niceties in my day to day communication, and realized that some people are just the way the are because they were born that way and there is no sense in banging my head against the wall if they act irrational (knowledge of Myers Briggs helped a lot in this department).

    But have I turned into an extravert? No. Became more of a Feeler? No. Has my general view of the world changed? No. Did the way I view and value people change? A little, maybe. I've grown to understand that there are more intricacies to human nature than I originally thought, and learned to value them for what they are. But did my attitude toward humanity in general change? No.

    The changes that took place are more or less cosmetic. I would say I appear a lot more pleasant and socially graceful than I did in high school. Yet I am still the same "irreverent asshole" on the inside. I've just learned to adapt in order to make my life easier. Keep in mind, these cosmetic changes that took place are the first level of interaction, so if I had a stranger talk to my high school self, and then talk to my present self, chances are the stranger would say that those are two noticeably different people, while in reality, it's pretty much the same person, only the older me is wiser than the younger me. I now use discretion on who gets to see the "true me".

    So as I've mentioned in a previous post, I've learned to adapt, as have you. I wouldn't consider any of that a fundamental change though. And yes, there are people who don't get wiser with age. I usually refer to those people as "retards".
    So basically your belief system hasn't changed, therefore you haven't changed? Well I was Christian for the first 21 years of my life. I'm an atheist now. Guess I just ruined your argument.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

  6. #56
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Well it depends on how big the change is supposed to be?

    My opinion is that big change is highly unlikely.

    It also seems easier for nice people to become the opposite.
    Greedy, selfish, ignorant, asshole people will most likely stay the same.

    However most people put in a proper context that facilitates change, will change. But will they be? They'll just stay where they are, doing what they do, thinking what they think.


    Change is relative.
    ^ Science seems to prove otherwise.

    What's impressive is the neuroscientific research that supports the popular notion that where there's a will for change, there's a way for change. Please read my previous post and one of the articles I found.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Your dad sounds like an STJ!!
    He probably is.. Hes a more emo versjon of me. Wants hugs from me and stuff, i hate hugging anything exept young wimmen and animals. And hes hardworking as heck.. I wish i had gotten some off work work morale.

  8. #58
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    He probably is.. Hes a more emo versjon of me. Wants hugs from me and stuff, i hate hugging anything exept young wimmen and animals. And hes hardworking as heck.. I wish i had gotten some off work work morale.
    Seriously, who cares? Stop cluttering up this thread with your small talk. Please take it to PM. Thanks! <3

  9. #59
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    So basically your belief system hasn't changed, therefore you haven't changed? Well I was Christian for the first 21 years of my life. I'm an atheist now. Guess I just ruined your argument.
    Well I used to believe in Santy Clause when I was a kid too. I guess I was an INFJ then.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Don't you mean Father Frost?

Similar Threads

  1. Why do people on the right tend to think climate change is fake?
    By asynartetic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 10-11-2017, 12:06 AM
  2. Do people change which functions they prefer due to life events?
    By Ribonuke in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Do functions change for people?
    By IndyGhost in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
  4. How do people's minds actually seem to divide up?
    By Zergling in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO