User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Reality is a fun topic. It's fun to wonder what reality really is. This universe and all the operations behind it. It's really, really, really weird, and it's a fun thought to try and wrap your head around (and fail miserably at). I don't know what it is, and I like not knowing. I'd like to know what it is, but I'm not even sure how to begin to take that apart. Understanding how reality operates is much different from asking what it is, how it got here, -- yeah.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

The more important question to ask is what is spirit consciousness to reality?

By consciousness we mean our level of perception about ourselves and the world around us. The higher the perception, the greater the consciousness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Thought experiment: suppose that you wake up from a dream, which initially you thought was a reality; how could you be certain that the now current "reality" that you are perceiving is really a reality, or just another dream?

How can we ever be truly certain that what we are perceiving right now is reality? Or perhaps, is reality itself what we perceive to be?
    You can't. To at all validate whether or not you are dreaming or in actuality experiencing some actual reality would require a bird's eye, objective viewpoint which I doubt humans can even manage to attain in the near future. This is because such an awareness of one's own sense of reality depends entirely on one's own ability to perceive such things. In other words, there's a self-referential loop. If you cannot escape your own subjective perception of things, how can you ever truly know anything about the nature of that which you are sensing? I would think that instead of certainty, we humans are best off accepting the notion that we may only have degrees of probable confidence concerning reality, so that utilizing reason to distinguish from dream and reality can give us some reference of things. But I think that's all we can hope for, rationally speaking: simple reference—certainty is asking a bit too much.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You can't. So why bother Ns will argue about it endlessly.

Sorry, I'll go away.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

everything I know is part of reality, I think. That doesn't make a particular thing true or possess evidence, though. I guess

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I never got why people are always so focused on the actual "reality". I always found the endless possibilities of theory waaaay more interesting. I mean, it's not even really defined what reality is - it's just a porous idea. So, why bother whether this is reality or not, if you don't even know what reality is anyway?
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I sort of think whether its a dream or real life is unimportant, its a bit like all of the philosophising from Bishop Berkley right up until the BBC documentary already mentioned, whether or not the world is a hologram or illusionary isnt really important, it will be experienced as real so it is therefore real.
    Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    this.
    Yeah I have to agree...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP

Do all animals on Earth have a reality of their own? Or are only us, humans, entitled to have a reality?

Reality is God, bitches.

Permabanned

I sort of think whether its a dream or real life is unimportant, its a bit like all of the philosophising from Bishop Berkley right up until the BBC documentary already mentioned, whether or not the world is a hologram or illusionary isnt really important, it will be experienced as real so it is therefore real.
    I agree. However I think it's important to replace "is therefor real" with "can therefor be treated as real until further information is made available".

I never got why people are always so focused on the actual "reality". I always found the endless possibilities of theory waaaay more interesting. I mean, it's not even really defined what reality is - it's just a porous idea. So, why bother whether this is reality or not, if you don't even know what reality is anyway?
    Then what is the point of it all?

Reality is a fun topic.
    Ha..no.

At the end of the day whether all this is real or not is inconsequential. We perceive this as real so for all intents and purposes it can be treated as real.