User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

My grandparents - Enjoy being young

My parents - Enjoy being young

Messages in media - Enjoy being young

It's like it isn't unique to my generation at all, is it? Envy of the young is widespread and hardly confined to a single generation. Also note that in this context, life expectancy increases over time, so any delay in "growing up" should be expected, if not necessarily encouraged.

MBTI
    SEXY

Growing up is overrated. The only thing you need to get after adolessence is a shitload of self-confidence and a tiny bit of responsibility.
    (removed)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I can't think of any big introduction but I feel like a lot of people in my generation (late 20s, early 30s) are still big kids, they don't want to grow up. What is it about us as a generation and the time we life in that we find it so hard to commit, to settle down etc? And is that necessarily a bad thing?
    As someone in your age group, I'll start by pointing out that many of us intentionally waited to have children or even decided to be childfree because of things like personal goals, simple preference, and overpopulation. Having a family doesn't make a person a grown-up, let me tell you. I have known people who had children at a young age who behave in a very immature manner.

I think what some people have said about the divorce rate in our parents' generation is also true, but is that really a bad thing that people want to wait to settle down after they know who they really are and what they want?

I will admit, though, that some people seem ridiculously immature in terms of relationships (probably due to greater societal influences which value things like money and career success over community and even emotional maturity).

There were plenty of immature people in our parents' generation, btw. Plenty of people my age were raised or partially raised by their grandparents or other relatives.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    Nope, can't relate.
    I'm 25, 80% of my HS classmates are married, most have at least a kid.

I'm resisting the urge to reduce your question to your Fe function, that cares so much about social roles - among them, age roles.
    But that feels rude.
    So I'll just float away, if that's okay. : )
    Oh me too - I'm from a small town in the South and many of my old friends are married and have kids. Several of them have managed to have lasting marriages, and I'm happy for them, even though I don't relate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

The computer age, created a rift in the needs and desires people have which is different to what it was before the computer age or at least I would like to wish.

But the reality is I am unlike my peers. I was always a year older then most of my peers for having stayed down in year 3 when I shouldn't have. And then the transition for me again much more destabalising because while most every person I know experiences relationship, career and family stability of some kind I seem to be experiencing the opposite and its become a norm. Having said that most of my high school friends are progressive. One of my best child hood friends from primary school divorced and had one child and remarried again. I had 3, the other is bi and in tourism and the last is in engineering married with one child also. While the 2 main best high school best friends I had both are married to their wives, are managers and having one child. While my current friends are what you describe find it hard to grow up, juvenile humour and difficulty with women. Of the 7 one is getting married and the other two are living with their girlfriends respective.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

This,

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Probably because they all watched their parents fuck up their relationships as children and want to actually do it right for their potential offspring and their own well-being.
    and this,

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Growing up is overrated. The only thing you need to get after adolessence is a shitload of self-confidence and a tiny bit of responsibility.
    I'm just surprised it has taken humanity this long to begin to figure this out.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I'm just surprised it has taken humanity this long to begin to figure this out.
    Yeah, essentiall it's what 2000 years of western philosophy culminated in.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I relate to the OP. There are times where I'd like nothing more than to turn back the clock and relive either my childhood or even my college years. The world of work doesn't appeal to me but I see it as a necessary evil. The idea right now of committing to a relationship and marrying someone you intend to spend the rest of your life with kind of scares me even though eventually I do hope to find that someone I'd feel comfortable marrying. I don't like the thought of aging either. I have trouble bearing the thought of physical and mental decline.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because life expectancy has risen and so has age of retirement; since we live in a finite world, there is no space for a larger percentage of grown-ups (which usually are paid more, consume more, need to have access to indipendent housing, etc.).

Plus, when it comes to dating and/or marriage matters, males are generally falling behind in terms of schooling and employment with respect to females, thus they're going to feel a stronger pressure towards not committing (since there's still a generally held attitude that the male in a couple needs to earn more money than the female before being able to form a "family").
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

spiritual revolution is causing more NF's to be born into society to balance the chaos of our world, and most NF's spirituality doesn't exactly have growing up as one of their requirements.