User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You may feel no different but I'd hope and suspect that there is a great deal of difference, cognitive processes, experience contingent insight formation and reflection or consequential thinking I'd wager should be streets ahead of were they were and, while its a pretty individual thing how it develops and what it keeps apace with I'd hope that reason would be trumphing affect more often in their decision making.

Its not tradition, tradition is just the vehicle by which one generation tries to communicate its learning to another Jr. generation, although it appears to be badly in need of repair that's a different issue, there's a lot of factors militating against individual psychological maturation.
    Well of course I have matured emotionally, mentally and responsibility wise.
    It's not the same thing.

Traditions have changed. People stay the same.

Why would my preferences change just because I am older??

violaine

Agree with the posters who have already mentioned it's about having more options in life. Less societal pressure to adhere to prescribed roles too.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think a big factor if not the biggest factor is extended education compared to previous generations. Where our parents went to high school, and maybe college for some, for us several years of college is absolutely expected/required and some even go on to grad school which can sometimes mean being in school until ~age 30!

School's just not an environment conducive to being "mature", really.

Not sure about the ones who drop out of school. I don't know any of them personally.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTP

I have been fortunate, lived in relative wealth and freedom for my entire life. I could do almost anything I want, become a doctor, lawyer, scientist, politician, farmer, business owner -- you name it. So what should I do? "Anything you want."

Another issue is how to define "settling down." I have chosen a career path, I am married, have a house, and a relatively stable life, so am I settled down? I don't feel like it, and don't know that I ever will.

My parents did nothing/aren't particularly screwed up. I just think being "adult" is boring. I can't see what the big deal is. And I don't mean literal old people. Some of the most whimsical/childlike I've met were elderly. When I think of adult, I think dull.. and anyone who takes themselves too seriously. It could be a 20 something hung up on his sense of manhood. Or the overly career driven woman who's too uptight or image oriented. Or people who have kids, but don't take advantage of that blessing and try to see the world through their child's eyes.. but instead, just act like grumpy blue collar rednecks who's only form of entertainment in life is football, chores, hotdogs, and beer.. and they don't even play with their kids. Or forgot how to laugh at a Disney movie. I can't even suffer a conversation with any of these people. Why would I want to be one?

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I can't think of any big introduction but I feel like a lot of people in my generation (late 20s, early 30s) are still big kids, they don't want to grow up. What is it about us as a generation and the time we life in that we find it so hard to commit, to settle down etc? And is that necessarily a bad thing?
    This:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/ma...od-t.html?_r=2
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    INTP

Also, ditto to what Kdude said.

And that NY Times article was pretty good.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Is tradition being confused with maturity here?
    Yes.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I can't think of any big introduction but I feel like a lot of people in my generation (late 20s, early 30s) are still big kids, they don't want to grow up. What is it about us as a generation and the time we life in that we find it so hard to commit, to settle down etc? And is that necessarily a bad thing?
    Because there is no economic need like there was in previous generations. But maturity is not just about getting married and a mortgage.

But does anyone think that prior generations did not say the same things about their children? The baby boomers themselves were accused of not growing up.

Is ageism any more acceptable than racism or sexual discrimination?