User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, except who would we get to argue the side of ID?

(I've read a book or two on it, but wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means.)

I can mod it, if you want, and keep things from getting out of hand on a personal level.
    I don't know if we need anyone to argue the point of ID if we just discuss what some of the objections are to the current evolutionary paradigm.

Ivy had offhandedly mentioned something similar in Haight's Circles thread - the idea of design and Designer sort of going hand in hand (that is, patterns discovered in the natural world create the need to identify a cause). I think they go together kind of naturally.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Although I'm far too lazy to look at this video, I hate bananas.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Although I'm far too lazy to look at this video, I hate bananas.
    I hate ripe bananas. The greener ones are ok.

Perfect quote, Meshou.:steam:
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I found this incredibly ironic. I mean, pick something like an apple... My parents grow bananas (yes, in CANADA. I don't understand it either...) and I learnt (willingly, really) a lot of them growing up.

The banana is the ID's nightmare - a plain and documented process of evolving from something useless to something disgusting (sorry, I hate the taste), complete with the different versions existing in the wild! And it has one of the longest documented histories of any plant in the world.

Growing pains indeed
    The natural banana is neat, the plantain/banana hybrid that we know as a banana is disgusting.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

My world has been turned upside down. Now must convene with nearest rabbi/priest/spiritual consult and begin serious conversation on starting a petition to change stop lights to black/green/yellow- the way God intended.

Never had a natural banana- what does it taste like?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    My world has been turned upside down. Now must convene with nearest rabbi/priest/spiritual consult and begin serious conversation on starting a petition to change stop lights to black/green/yellow- the way God intended.
    The red lights in your area weren't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The natural banana is neat, the plantain/banana hybrid that we know as a banana is disgusting.
    I think it has even got to the point where we select the best bananas and clone them. I remember reading that somewhere.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I've seen that before. They don't provide very good evidence, actually. I think God exists because bananas taste delicious. Of course, all you banana-haters were made that way, since you are not the true children of God.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by darlets View Post
    I think it has even got to the point where we select the best bananas and clone them. I remember reading that somewhere.
    A few years ago in my general ed plant class, the prof was saying that we are going to have a banana crisis because most if not all the commercial bananas are clones of the same tree. A disease or pest that can take one out can easily take them all out.

I read an article about it between then and now that said we had run into a crisis with the commercial banana of the past and they had replaced it with the current commercial banana which is said to be of inferior quality as far as flavor, but it ships well and was resistant to the disease that took out the last commercial banana. Or something like that.

Edit: Here's a link about some of the problems.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wait a second... Wasn't this thread originally about why bananas would send atheists fleeing, like garlic for the proverbial vampire?

(I mean, banana eugenics is fascinating and all, but...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft