User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Hey, wait! I thought that was the "peanut butter" clip, not the banana cli...

Oh my.

And here I was figuring it would just be something about ID... which at least sounds more intelligent than the infamous "banana" strategy.

Yeah, it's really tough when your banana clip is filled with blanks...
    :rimshot:

In any case, I'd be interested in having a discussion on ID at some point, if we could manage to have a quiet, interesting, and civil one. Problem is that you don't need a crystal ball so see where a thread like that would go before the first page filled up.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    Yeah, it's really tough when your banana clip is filled with blanks...
    :rimshot:

In any case, I'd be interested in having a discussion on ID at some point, if we could manage to have a quiet, interesting, and civil one. Problem is that you don't need a crystal ball so see where a thread like that would go before the first page filled up.
    Let's try anyway.
    INTP 5W6

MBTI
    ESFJ

The irony is that, of course, the banana we see today bears little resemblence to its wild cousin. The banana we see today has evolved over thousands of years due to strict selective breeding by humans, so the fact that it is so well designed (or rather, adapted), is of little or no surprise.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
    Let's try anyway.
    If nothing else, the flames from such a thread would make a small renewable energy source. (though thermal pollution is an issue.)

I have to confess that I sent that link to a lot of people after seeing it for the first time a while ago. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant parody. I only found out recently that it was serious.
    I had this happen once. someone stuck an anti-evolution cartoon on a forum, I thought it was really funny, than someone pointed out it was serious. (Which was still kind of funny, and did beg the question of who would actually be convinced to change opinions based on it.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    The irony is that, of course, the banana we see today bears little resemblence to its wild cousin. The banana we see today has evolved over thousands of years due to strict selective breeding by humans, so the fact that it is so well designed (or rather, adapted), is of little or no surprise.
    I don't know about irony, but they sure are potassiumy.

There's a "response" video that points this out, as well as making fun of the entire approach by applying the given reasoning to things like the pineapple and coconut. It's maybe a little over the top.

4. I always said so.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Okay, so they've got Kirk and the Banana Guy to promote atheism, but who are they going to have speaking on behalf of Christianity?

I'm agnostic, but I think the primary thing working against people giving ID any serious consideration is the creationist camp's relentless propensity for handing flakes like this over to the media.

(And I'm almost certain that Kirk and the Banana Guy was a failed sitcom pilot in the early nineties.)
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I found this incredibly ironic. I mean, pick something like an apple... My parents grow bananas (yes, in CANADA. I don't understand it either...) and I learnt (willingly, really) a lot of them growing up.

The banana is the ID's nightmare - a plain and documented process of evolving from something useless to something disgusting (sorry, I hate the taste), complete with the different versions existing in the wild! And it has one of the longest documented histories of any plant in the world.

Growing pains indeed

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
    Let's try anyway.
    I'm up for it, but I think it would have to be heavily policed or locked down. Without that, it'd get completely derailed (a la the dreaded Tree Ring Tangent), or it would cross the line from interesting discussion to meaningless and boring argument (crossing what I'm going to call the Kuranes Barrier).

4. I always said so.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I wouldn't mind having one, except who would we get to argue the side of ID?

(I've read a book or two on it, but wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means.)

I'm up for it, but I think it would have to be heavily policed or locked down. Without that, it'd get completely derailed (a la the dreaded Tree Ring Tangent), or it would cross the line from interesting discussion to meaningless and boring argument (crossing what I'm going to call the Kuranes Barrier).
    lol. Well, I can mod it, if you want, and keep things from getting out of hand on a personal level.

I have to admit, that thread you linked to ended up being rather dull. (I even got bored writing my own post, which is why I told everyone just to skip the personal crap and go straight to the end if they wanted.) At least the Tree Rings held a vestige of interest until the bitter end.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yes. Kill me now?
    Useful phrase time:

"Quit being on my side. You're making my side look stupid."
    Let's do this thing.