User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Hope?

I don't know what hope is exactly but I've been told by Sandra Bullock it floats, so similar to that soap, perhaps hope is a cleansing agent. Hope seems like the sliver of light that rests in the eye of a dying prisoner in a dark cell ... It's undefined in a way what that quality is but even in desolation there exists hope, even when it has no name or shape. Meh. I don't know ...
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

Hope is the refusal to abandon a dream. Sometimes visualizing (praying for, meditating on) something will help us pull it into reality.

Hope is when you see a rainbow after a heavy downpour.

Hope is when you choose to believe in miracles even when the reality in front of you looks bleak. Hope is when you choose to always look at the bright side of things and never let setbacks in life get you down.
    Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer liked this post

Junior Member Array
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Well hope does have a place because sometimes against all odds people who would be considered to be beyond saving are suddenly saved. Lost people at sea is one example. adrift in the ocean... what can they do but to hope? And if they don't hope.... they will give up and die. Of course they may die waiting anyway, and many have but you have a higher chance of survival is your strive and hope. There has to be a reason to strive... and that is the hope, maybe it's not a huge hope... monetarily.... maybe it's just to get another bowl of food on the table... living a hand to mouth existence... these people do not 'know' they hope... and to stop hoping is to sign your own death certificate.

So hope is something that can not be described in other terms... it does have a place and it is not the same as will. Will is intent whereas to hope is to grasp onto an idea.
    I don't know why no one liked your post.

OP is trying to devalue hope. ENFPs are filled with hope. Lol.. There's value in everything even if you don't personally value it. This is like if an ENFP says how Ni is useless because all it does is idealize one vision, when there can be so many other possibilities. We're never going to value each other's dominant function. I used to be close to an INFJ, and even though we were friends for so long, I still didn't understand her. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm writing this. Oh well.

Keeping the dream despite of uncertainty.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer liked this post

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

The Space Marine ethos is to 'know' and have a plan otherwise you're wasting your resources gambling.

I kinda like it.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Evee liked this post

451 sx/so
    IEI Ni

Dictionary Definition:

Hope is also a person I know. (She's Filipino) It's the letters h-o-p-e combined into one. A misspelling of hoop. Green Christmas Color.
    Epoch has hope in it (double meaning laced in.) Chicken scratch with meaning.
    just so all u fanboys/girls know, im equally as awkward and nervous when we meet irl. i'm just a human too &ill never view myself above u. ~ lil 寿司

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    I think that everyone should have a secret name.

What would yours be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    I write the way I want fyi. No one but me handles the way I express myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    If it is a grace, it is given by God. Grace is not earned by any amount of good deeds. It is a gift from God through Jesus Christ. So says Christianity, anyway, and my beliefs are more aligned with Judaism.
    Grace isn't a doctrine or theological topic; grace is Jesus. In the Bible, when Jesus is talking about grace, he is talking about himself. The law (the ten commandments) came through Moses; grace came through Jesus on the cross (John 1:17). Grace is unearned, unmerited, and undeserved [favor with God].

It makes me wonder if this grace is given to those only faithful in Christianity, and on God's whim. Pardon the break in eloquence, but the rebellious streak in me says, 'That's kinda f*cked up.'
    What does faithful mean to you? To be perfect? ...because it's not possible. In the Old Testament, if you broke one commandment, you were guilty of breaking all of them. The law is death. Grace is life. Grace is freely given to sinners with childlike faith that all of their sins are forgiven by the blood of Jesus: past, present, and future. Guilt and condemnation stopped where the blood of Jesus was shed. You are completely and irrevocably forgiven, which means you can be bold, confident, and courageous to talk to God about your failings and your hopes (whatever those might be).

Supernatural things happen when one opens their heart and receives the gift of grace... such as, a transformation from the inside out where sin longer has dominion over them.
    Likes Pinker85 liked this post

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

I think hope is a cognitive thing primarily that gives rise to certain positive emotions. Particularly, a sense that something will turn out okay: your life, a test, a relationship. It's the ability to form a hypothetical, self-serving narrative.

It's probably easiest to identify when you experience a loss of hope. That's pretty much depression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    [reserved for future insight]

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It's probably easiest to identify when you experience a loss of hope. That's pretty much depression.
    I agree. I'm guessing everyone has experienced feelings of despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    If it is a grace, it is given by God. Grace is not earned by any amount of good deeds. It is a gift from God through Jesus Christ.
    I was just thinking about how grace imparts hope. The days when my heart feels troubled, I'll enter into the Lord's presence through music or just thinking about his kindness, goodness, and mercy; miraculously, I find peace.

In the natural, the future may look bleak and hold no reason for hope. I'd encourage people who feel that way to try meditating on God's grace and to invite the Holy Spirit to fill them with hope. I like the Romans 15:13 scripture that says, "May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

There's another beautiful verse, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12)... "Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy" (Psalm 90:14). In the last verse, "mercy" is the Hebrew word "hesed," which means God's grace. I think God is telling us to start our day being satisfied with his unfailing love for us, even in the midst of things we've been struggling with for a long time. He isn't looking to humiliate us or point out our failures when we approach him. God sees us as precious and as loved ones he knows intimately and loves infinitely.