User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 32

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,669

    Default Religion evolves and endures

    I reckon that in much of the world religion has proven itself to be the most enduring and evolving, in the sense of adaptativeness, of institutions, its outlived communism and arguably is in the process of out living capitalism and its ideological appendages, the societies which are based upon objective or accidential atheism seem to be suffering from a myriad of problems, personal and social, therefore is it not worth while to give religion analytical attention if not praise?

    Plus, given Eric Fromm's frame of reference or definition that ideas which provide an ethical orientation and devotional object qualify as "religious", which I think is sound, there are a lot of accidential religions out there, they're mainly bad religions, like the idolatrous or atavistic religions or superstitions of the ancient world.

    NB Bitches.
    Last edited by Survive & Stay Free; 01-16-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add NB

  2. #2
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I reckon that in much of the world religion has proven itself to be the most enduring and evolving, in the sense of adaptativeness, of institutions, its outlived communism and arguably is in the process of out living capitalism and its ideological appendages, the societies which are based upon objective or accidential atheism seem to be suffering from a myriad of problems, personal and social, therefore is it not worth while to give religion analytical attention if not praise?
    Religion certainly merits analytical attention, much more than it usually gets. Your comparison is a bit skewed, however. You are comparing "religion" overall with specific political or economic systems like communism and capitalism. It would make a more direct comparison to ask whether religion has outlived politics, or government, or the economy; or whether a specific religion like Judaism has outlived a specific economic system like capitalism.

    As for which institutions are most enduring and evolving/adaptive, one might consider the family, the military, or even the brothel. All societies raise young, fight from time to time, and provide some outlet for human passions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Belief is stronger than any single religion. Belief is fundamental, essential, and empowering. You say religion evolves and endures, but you really speak of belief. Religion is just a morsel of the whole phenomenon.

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default

    Until very recently religion was defined by geography. A map of the world is a map of religion. But with the advent of the global village various religions have come face to face for the first time. And they discovered that each one claimed to be the one true religion from God.

    Now from a simple logical point of view they can't all be right. So this produced a problem for religion. At first we tried to solve the problem by going to war and so we had the war of religions. But after quite a lot of bloodshed the religions settled on a compromise of live and let live called secularism, where each had freedom of religion but each was separated from the power of the State.

    Unfortunately one political religion does not accept the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or secularism or the separation of religion and the State and have declared jihad in line with the tradition of their holy book.

    But the cat is out of the bag. And all religions are no longer separated by geography but are face to face in the global village.

    What will happen next, we are not quite sure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Victor isn't this a bit to generalistic?? I know many moderate adherents to this religion who would be very offended at this generalisation.

    It is the extremists and terrorists who do this in the name of their religion, and it is by no means embraced by all!

    When we make such generalisations, if we are responsible for influencing others, albeit unknowingly, we are potentially setting the stage for prejudice.

    I would be horrified if non-judeo-christian people were to make judgement that because those living in Jonestown purported to be Christian, therefore it can be safely assumed that all Christians are fanatics!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

    "Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

  6. #6
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Smile Human Rights

    Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Victor isn't this a bit to generalistic?? I know many moderate adherents to this religion who would be very offended at this generalisation.
    Fifty-seven Islamic States have publicly and openly repudiated the Universal Declaration of Human Rights including the Right to Free Speech.

    In fact these fifty-seven Islamic States say that free speech is offensive to them. However the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that free speech means nothing without the right to offend.

  7. #7
    Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Fifty-seven Islamic States have publicly and openly repudiated the Universal Declaration of Human Rights including the Right to Free Speech.

    In fact these fifty-seven Islamic States say that free speech is offensive to them. However the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that free speech means nothing without the right to offend.
    Perhaps this is why these people have moved here? ...and it looks like Afghanistan and Iraq will also again revert to these ideologies once we withdraw???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

    "Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

  8. #8
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Until very recently religion was defined by geography. A map of the world is a map of religion. But with the advent of the global village various religions have come face to face for the first time. And they discovered that each one claimed to be the one true religion from God.

    Now from a simple logical point of view they can't all be right.
    So this produced a problem for religion.
    Of course all religions can't be right in claiming to be the "one true religion from God". There is no such thing. Each does contain truth, however, and many common threads and themes can be found in the most apparently dissimilar of faiths. Joseph Campbell explored this in many of his writings. It is much like the story of the blind men and the elephant; each man's impression of the elephant is accurate, but only to a point. The real falsehood is to insist that the elephant is only what each individual man perceives.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,669

    Default

    Religion is about more than God and I know many evangelists who would claim not to be religious or to believe in a religion, they've gone beyond the liberal attack on so called organised religion and even protestantism to a totally radical position.

  10. #10
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Like a virus, someday we will manage to eradicate religion entirely, even if it can evolve and endure.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Pew Research: The World's Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM
  2. Religion, belief and sleep paralysis.
    By Fluffywolf in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
  3. Types and Religion.
    By RealityDeviantPride in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
  4. [NF] NFs and religion
    By Cordiform in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
  5. The Australian Election and Religion
    By darlets in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO