User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 46

  1. #31
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hungrypossum View Post
    Yet let me explain to you why, since I was given this understanding: how hard it is to even fast for one day in faith! Not to mention asking an entire nation to submit to God in such a way, can you imagine any President nowadays who would ask their countrymen to pass up on eating for 3 days?
    ah. point of information, Sir.

    All devout Muslims, throughout the world, fast for one month during their holy month of Ramadan. Every year. As a show of devotion to their God. Entirely of free will.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

  2. #32
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    ah. point of information, Sir.

    All devout Muslims, throughout the world, fast for one month during their holy month of Ramadan. Every year. As a show of devotion to their God. Entirely of free will.
    It's much easier for them if they live in a dark northern country at that time of year as it is just from dawn to dusk. In a light southern one it can be much more of a trial!

  3. #33
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's much easier for them if they live in a dark northern country at that time of year as it is just from dawn to dusk. In a light southern one it can be much more of a trial!
    astute observation, Sir! hmm...wonder if any Muslims in the arctic circle or thereabouts can enlighten....i'm practically on the equator, so it's even hours of sun and night.

    speaking of night.....
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

  4. #34
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Oh goody, she's still here! I was just thinking to myself the other day, "Where did nut butts go (and I mean that ever so lovingly)?" Now I can rest easy knowing all is right in the world again.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's much easier for them if they live in a dark northern country at that time of year as it is just from dawn to dusk. In a light southern one it can be much more of a trial!
    Yeah, that might do the trick when the Ramadan is during winter. But they'd have to move to the South Pole or Antarctica or something, when it's during summer; that or fast 18 or 20 hours or whatever period of time the daylight lasts.
    Nah, it would be inconvenient to move from North to South Pole every few years. Except if one works on something related with ice, maybe. Or with penguins.

  6. #36
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    Yeah, that might do the trick when the Ramadan is during winter. But they'd have to move to the South Pole or Antarctica or something, when it's during summer; that or fast 18 or 20 hours or whatever period of time the daylight lasts.
    Nah, it would be inconvenient to move from North to South Pole every few years. Except if one works on something related with ice, maybe. Or with penguins.
    Yes, but you can't eat the penguins during ramadan. Oh! wait... if you got them at night it'd be OK. Don't forget, penguins are only at the South Pole, too, so you'd be out of work at the North Pole!

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yes, but you can't eat the penguins during ramadan. Oh! wait... if you got them at night it'd be OK. Don't forget, penguins are only at the South Pole, too, so you'd be out of work at the North Pole!
    There might be some kind of job where you import penguins from the South to the North Pole.
    And who the heck eats the cutest bird of the planet?

  8. #38
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    There might be some kind of job where you import penguins from the South to the North Pole.
    And who the heck eats the cutest bird of the planet?
    They are delicious!

    Penguins are very tasty

    -Geoff

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    824

    Default


  10. #40
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I don't think anyone's planning on eating you... probably... (at least not in the bad way! )

    and really- I don't care if hungrypossum beleives in Jesus or worships a worn out boot- good to beleive in something I suppose- I'd just like the same f*^%ing tolerance in return! :steam: I'd rather not have someone try to convert me to something else :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. About the "Shyness" Thread
    By FireShield98 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  2. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
  3. The "Grandma Scam" ... please talk about it with your loved ones!
    By PeaceBaby in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM
  4. Tell Me About the People You Love
    By nolla in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO