User Tag List

12 Last

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Default Seeing the world

This topic has been sparked by hereandnows Blog. He was discussing political stuff and views were brought up. These views got me thinking.

I realize that the world (IMO at least) is many shades of gray, but so many seem to see it as black and white. What I wonder is if it's typically (okay I am generalizing and looking for input) a J characteristic to see the world as Black and white, and a P characteristic to see the world as shades of Gray?
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Hmmmm I don't see the world as black and white... and neither do many INXJs in my opinion. However I sometimes like dividing things as "more black" vs "more white" simply in terms of figuring out what actions to take. If something exceeds threshold, then you act upon it. Perhaps that's where the "black and white" distinction might have arise from...

As to SJs, I think in general they like looking at distinct categories more than spectrums simply because sensing perception is very concrete. So I suppose they would be more likely to use more extreme black and white distinctions compared to NJs. But most of the SJs I talk to definately know about the shades of grays in between, they just prefer not to dwell on those too much.

MBTI
    type

Do people actually see the world, or do they only see the reflections of their beliefs?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmm. All I know is that my ENFP friend once told me that I'm one of the least judgmental people she knows, but I'm very opinionated.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    This topic has been sparked by hereandnows Blog. He was discussing political stuff and views were brought up. These views got me thinking.

I realize that the world (IMO at least) is many shades of gray, but so many seem to see it as black and white. What I wonder is if it's typically (okay I am generalizing and looking for input) a J characteristic to see the world as Black and white, and a P characteristic to see the world as shades of Gray?
    I was taught by my mother that things are supposed to be a certain way (black or white); What I learned later in life is that things are shades of gray, with the variation depending on your own viewpoint. While I still operate from the viewpoint that things should be a certain way (black or white), I try not to fixate on that so much that I can't see the shades of gray. The one thing that seeing things as black or white helps with is that in certain situations you aren't thrown into inactivity because you can't decide; It lets you move on and then you can adjust and moderate as necessary and learn better strategies in life later on (though sometimes it does take a while to modify responses )

MBTI
    INTP

People take comfort in the black and the white they see. Isn't post modernism simply having your blacks and whites distorted?

I don't know if all absolutes are bad. It'd be great to see more people to stand up for what they feel is right than just follow step. "We're gonna bend the rules because everybody else is and that's the only way to compete" can be an example.

I think a lot of it is when people firmly see white when we see black. People also see what they want to see. Like watching a boxing match. It's really amazing how people will only see the punches landing by the fighter they're rooting for.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Do people actually see the world, or do they only see the reflections of their beliefs?

wow now that is a comment!

Our biases fit into everything I am sure.....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENTP

I hate talk of 'black and white vs. gray' now, it's one of the biggest and most useless cliches out there. Most people don't realize that dismissing your opponent in an argument as 'only seeing things in black and white' is just a pc way of saying they're wrong without having to admit you're no more likely to budge from your position than they are. It's on par with trying to win the argument by saying the other person is wrong because they're 'closed-minded'.
    Think about it, does anyone ever say "sorry, I'm right because everything is black and white. You're wrong because nothing is gray"? No, it's always a tactic used to attack the other guy.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I hate talk of 'black and white vs. gray' now, it's one of the biggest and most useless cliches out there. Most people don't realize that dismissing your opponent in an argument as 'only seeing things in black and white' is just a pc way of saying they're wrong without having to admit you're no more likely to budge from your position than they are. It's on par with trying to win the argument by saying the other person is wrong because they're 'closed-minded'.
    Think about it, does anyone ever say "sorry, I'm right because everything is black and white. You're wrong because nothing is gray"? No, it's always a tactic used to attack the other guy.
    You've seriously never seen anyone argue that? It happens all the time. "You're either with us or against us." "What's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. If you can't see that, you probably have no morals."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You've seriously never seen anyone argue that? It happens all the time. "You're either with us or against us." "What's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. If you can't see that, you probably have no morals."
    being confident or principled in your position isn't the same thing as saying- "I'm right about this because I'm right about everything and everything is either right or wrong"
    I don't wanna!